Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

What suspension package would you choose for 1.gen.

Hi guys,

old story, but since there are many new packages on the market I would like to hear your opinion.

- car : 68 camaro
      - powertrain "600hp" LSX / T-56
      - use : everyday street / track weekends.
      - minitubes / tigergage.
      - backseat yes!
      - front and rear suspension from same manufacturer.

Easy way would be ordering full dse catalog, but I would liked to get out of little bit less fabrication if possible and try something new.

What's your budget?
      Ahmad B.

Well anything below full dse system.

I have the TCI Engineering front IFS and rear torque arm. No welding required--bolts right in*. Great system. Affordable.

TCI didn't tell me this but the I was able to easily put 315/30-18 rivals up front with simple modification to the inside wheel well and rolling the lip of the painted fender. (frame rails are inset 2.5" or so...).

Chad Ryker has a similar setup and is getting pretty competitive at optima.

*If you purchase the prebuilt ford 9 inch rear-end. Otherwise welding the axle brackets on would be required. But no welding required on the car.
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

I used both a full Hotchkis TVS for 2 years and I used the full ridetech stage 3 system for 2 years, and was successful with both, I have also used several brands in between over the last 16 years, I can help if you have any questions, both of those systems achieve the same result, they just get you there differently, I can give you and honest opinion on needed and or unnecessary parts, so you dont buy what you dont need ........

Our Torque Arm kit is full Bolt-In

Give Mark a call at Savitske Classic & Custom. He'll spend as long talking to you as it takes to find out what would work best for your particular set of concerns.

Thanks guys! Alot of new stuff for me.

If I were in your shoes, I would consult with Rod Prouty and Ron Sutton and go with their recommendation. Rod has built a pro class track/autoX car using a stock subframe. That is some impressive stuff if you ask me. Between Rod and Ron you have access to some of the best pro-touring suspension knowledge going!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      If I were in your shoes, I would consult with Rod Prouty and Ron Sutton and go with their recommendation. Rod has built a pro class track/autoX car using a stock subframe. That is some impressive stuff if you ask me. Between Rod and Ron you have access to some of the best pro-touring suspension knowledge going!
      Thanks for the kind words Steve...Ron and I have been friends for a few years, I have been lucky to call some real smarty pants out there my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      Thanks for the kind words Steve...Ron and I have been friends for a few years, I have been lucky to call some real smarty pants out there my friends
      Rod are you somehow involved with ridetech? I am considering their level 3 complete kit. I really cant understand how they can fit 10" front wheel in it

Has anyone compiled a list of where the roll centers typically end up with the various parts out there? Like for me I am looking into a speedtech TA but with ridetech front parts but need to know what my roll axis inclination will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie racing View Post
      Rod are you somehow involved with ridetech? I am considering their level 3 complete kit. I really cant understand how they can fit 10" front wheel in it
      I was a sponsored driver for them and later went to work for ridetech about 3 years ago, December last year started my own company Suspension Geek and sell there product along with other brands I have used, I have a new website being made as we speak the one I have now is just temporary (not happy with GoDaddys interface)

what year is the car your working on?

Rod,
      How does the ridetech level 2 with true turn compare to the tvs? I'm running the tvs and its still a bit too harsh on California rough roads and the bump steer is pretty noticeable. I'm considering swapping to ridetech but I also like the idea of a torque arm rear.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rick
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

It sounds like you have a vary nice build on tap! I can offer some information that falls under "If only I knew then what I know now". There are obviously quite a few venders offering great suspension systems for first gens these days. As a result of a time crunch, I made the mistake of not doing enough research when shopping for mine. I would wholeheartedly suggest not including the Chris Alston Chassisworks system for your project based on what I can only describe as deplorable customer service practices. Throughout my entire build they offered me the absolute worst experience. Amongst other issues, they are of the mindset that the ride height on their systems be set unrealistically high. All of the other systems on the market completely mythbust this view. Also, if you happen the experience a component failure, chassis works aftersales support is terrible. You can reference "My Chassisworks experience" under the "feedback" section.

All of the systems on the market offer awesome engineering and performance advantages. It really comes down to determining which one fits your individual needs while also falling within your budget. I completely agree with the suggestion of consulting with individuals such as Ron as you will receive both fist hand seasoned, professional knowledge of the different systems and also extensive track and auto cross perspective.
      1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

Good info again!! 68 camaro is under consideration for high performance street and track car.
      Low stance, wide fronts and good ride quality are on the list. I hope new LT-4 and T56 too

Quote Originally Posted by ccmc View Post
      Rod,
      How does the ridetech level 2 with true turn compare to the tvs? I'm running the tvs and its still a bit too harsh on California rough roads and the bump steer is pretty noticeable. I'm considering swapping to ridetech but I also like the idea of a torque arm rear.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rick
      the TVS can be rough, its still a leafspring it has to do everything so it REALLY depends heavily on the shocks, a really good modern shock on the TVS helps, the damping curves on a newer performance shock, is the reverse of a old design made for stock suspension,this revolution has really come about in the last 10 years, soft stock suspension needs heavy compression, and stiffer modified suspension need less compression and more rebound, on the track the leaf is a great handler but a more violent ride.....the ridetech front kit is designed to get rid of bump steer and allow 9.5-10 inch rim up front, and the 4 link in the back is a great compact lighter weight design (compared to leafs and torque arm) that works great on the street and track and has a smooth ride ......

The limiting factor is how wide of a front tire do you want to run.
      I made the mistake in trying to make a stock subframe work with a even 275 tire.
      265 or under stick with stock subframe and give it the ridetech treatment. 275-315 i would go with a Speedtech Extreme that will allow a 8in BS rim and thats keeping it in the fender.
      The rear i think is more important and also alot more involved than the front. Id go with a Speedtech torque arm.
      Im a huge Speedtech fan so im biased. Goodluck

Thank you. I've had my car up for sale while dealing with chemo but now that we are moving I'm really tempted to keep it and go with the ridetech and true turn.

Rick
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

There's a guy mike or mark in a blue Camaro running the new speed tech setup at the autoXs in SoCal. He's got 335 rivals all the way around. It's nuts. The front tire appears "normal" in the fender. You can't tell until you see it from front/back. He was first in cam-t scca at el toro.
      Side note tho chad Ryker was not there that day..lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com