Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

81 Toyota Pickup (Lowlux)

Names Chris, I'm new and here's my truck.

I dont have a picture of how i bought it at the moment, I'll have to stalk facebook for one later. When i got her, she was "stanced". Mono leafed and turned torsion keys on 15x10 american racing wheels and stretched tires, and a bone stalk 22r.

Since then i did a few little things like a carb upgrade, some steering maint., put gas in and drive it around. Althought at the time i though it looked cool it wasnt fun, so while i was in turkey one year i ordered stuff to 4 link it with coilovers and it snow balled from there. While in turkey i got told i was moving to Texas, so instead of moving parts i rushed the 4 link install when i got home and was not happy with it. It did make it easier to move though.

Upon arriving to Texas i said screw it I'm gonna do it how i want it and started the tear down. Currently the rear is a ford 8.8 4 linked with ride tech coils, and im planing on sticking with the axle a coilovers but want to redo the rest, or clean it up as best as possible.

The front was all stock toyota, which rode like a**. After looking at different options from, newer toyota truck stuff to nissan 240sx front coilovers, I decide on mustang 2. For a few reasons. 1. Lots of people have had great success with it, 2. Gets rid of my steering box and torsion arms, 3. With my level of expertise(not much) i found it to be the least likely to make me give up halfway.

So thats where i am right now. I just got most of the front end out and should be starting the mock up and putting the new in hopefully this next weekend.

Now pictures!

Since photobucket is dumb im dumping all the photos on the next page

Love it. Can't wait to see progress. One on these was on my hit list for a while, but one truck is enough.

Always liked that gen toy (had 2 4wd ones in the past). Also love those wheels, who makes them? (the ones in the first/last pics)

Quote Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
      Always liked that gen toy (had 2 4wd ones in the past). Also love those wheels, who makes them? (the ones in the first/last pics)
      They are watanabes, I'd love to have a 4wd twin haha

Country Flag: United States
      Great to see another Mini Truck here. At least our frames are pretty stiff from the get go.Are you going to stay with the 22R or is there a different engine going in?

Before I tore into my truck I was searching for a set of Conquest wheels. I have always liked the way they look.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Love me some Panasports...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Love it. Always liked mini trucks. My brother used to have one like it, '80 or '81. His had 20R in it though, dropped on blocks and torsional turned down. Rode on 14" Westerns first, then some Eclipse wheels. We welded flares from a second set of 4x4 fenders to the rear wheel wells, for metal flares all around. He never completed it, and sadly ended up scrapping it.

Protour_Pinto- As of right now I'm keeping the 22r, I just put the 20r head and rv cam on. I kinda want to see how that does, but if i dont get it ready this summer I'm planning on doing a 3sge beams over next winter.

xs650shawn- I have the stock plastic 4wd flares for the back they just got taken off for transport. I originally wanted to run the zg flares but they just didnt look right.

Hopefully i can update this weekend. Its my first week back at work so progress might be a little slow

Little weekend update.

I had some time throughout the week to to get all the old brackets off(i wish i had a plasma) and get the frame cleaned up some. I did an awful lot of measuring according to the instructions i got with my crossmember and did made a few cuts. Of course i made about 10 trips back and forth from the table to the front of the truck until i think i finally got it where i need it.

i did a very crude mock up to see where my control arms would sit.

If I'm not mistaken, I want my lower control arms to sit parallel at ride height. I've never gone this in depth with suspension, and have been trying to read up on it. If anyone has any helpful input I would much appreciate it.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      I was reading over at Jalopy that there's a guy who repairs alot cars with Mustang II suspensions. One thing he said (and I don't now what your plans are) is to not use a tube from the crossmember to pick up the rear of the lower A-arm- even when reinforced, the weld cracks permitting the arm to rotate when braking, making steering... interesting. He suggests dropping two legs down from the frame to pickup the rear of the lower arm.

Looks like you're making a welder series MII, just thought I'd comment
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Good looking progress! Good job on cleaning off the old suspension. I wish I had a plasma cutter when I did mine too. So many sawzall blades and cut off wheels!

Any header is an improvement for these engines, Even the affordable Pacesetter is good. I had a LCE on mine and it was good but very expensive if you have to get it new.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      I was reading over at Jalopy that there's a guy who repairs alot cars with Mustang II suspensions. One thing he said (and I don't now what your plans are) is to not use a tube from the crossmember to pick up the rear of the lower A-arm- even when reinforced, the weld cracks permitting the arm to rotate when braking, making steering... interesting. He suggests dropping two legs down from the frame to pickup the rear of the lower arm.

Are you talking about something like this? https://welderseries.com/Lower-Contr...rcescroll=true

I am using a welder series crossmember, so far so good. I didnt buy the mounts from them because the control arms i order came with that style mount, but i have seen people use a drop down mount. I didnt give it much thought at first, but i might look into it.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by cmccuneusaf View Post
      Are you talking about something like this? https://welderseries.com/Lower-Contr...rcescroll=true

I am using a welder series crossmember, so far so good. I didnt buy the mounts from them because the control arms i order came with that style mount, but i have seen people use a drop down mount. I didnt give it much thought at first, but i might look into it.

Yes sir, he indicated this design had failure issues on cars that get frequently used. Obviously, not all cars will exhibit the condition, so I don't put much credance in anecdotal tales of "it didn't happen to me."

I suppose you could tack it in to use as a jig for a frame mounted drop down bracket.
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post

And a lot of cars that have problems are big full size cars with big tires and V8s in front, This truck weighs just a bit more than a powerwheels and has tires not much bigger too.

I had a somewhat productive weekend with the truck. I did a lot more measuring a little bit of cutting, and even less welding.

First i hooked up the new radio because my last one was pretty damaged.

i took awhile squaring up and leveling the crossmember, then tacked it in.

mocked up the lower control arm and spindle again.

The last thing i did was bend up the upper control arm mounts and cut them to fit.

Hopefully i can get them tacked in so i can see the big picture some point this week. Once i know all my measurements are ok I'll go ahead and final weld everything and hopefully have some money for coilovers.

Also i need a top to my bench if you cant tell. I havent decided on just doing plywood or maybe steel.

Hey i didnt give up, I've just been busy with work and a little bit of life.

I did make quite a bit of progress on the little truck. Most of everything is welded in so once i decide on the motor and get motor mounts in ill take it all back apart for paint and what not.

Made some cardboard templates

Then made them into metal

At some point i mocked up the rack and coilovers

Mocked up a wheel, but forgot to put the caliper in.

and finally set her on the ground for the first time in a month or so.

Try not to judge the messy little garage, once the thunderstorms stop ill push the truck outside and hopefully clean it out.

Many cool hot rods have come out of messy little garages.
      No judgement here, just the opposite. Great project!

Great start, glad to see you've decided to start fresh and do it right, No regrets. Keep up the good work!
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Just found the thread, nice work. I LUV mini trucks. I have 3, 2 v8 LUV stepsides, and a Nissan Hardbody, all 3 v8 chevy powered...

Thank everyone for the kind words!! It's nothing but motivation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com