Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Poor Experience With American Powertrain

Just need to vent,

The Cliff's Notes Version:
      • I called for details on a T56 adapter kit.
      • I sent pictures to verify my transmission.
      • They took my order over the phone.
      • They entered the order for the wrong kit.
      • I called to correct the next morning when I looked at the order confirmation.
      • I was assured they would handle it personally, and make sure the correct parts were shipped.
      • Had to contact them again to remind them they overcharged me, since they entered the order for the wrong kit.
      • They still sent the wrong parts.
      • When I got the kit, I called back to have it corrected.
      • They told me they'd send the correct part (just the pilot bearing and correct instructions) with a return label.
      • A week later and no responses to two emails asking for an update.
      • I call back and find out their shipping department hasn't heard anything about it.
      • I'm told they'll get the bearing out ASAP.
      • They call back a little later and tell me they won't do that. I have to send the parts back first.

I actually don't have a problem with that, what bothers me is the number of small issues I've had with a relatively simple order, and the fact that it's taken two weeks to clear it up. I get the impression they are not a well organized group, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with an order for anything significant.

The long version:

I called their Tech Support line to get the details on some parts I needed (viper T56 to SBC adapter plate kit). They were helpful, I sent them pictures of my transmission to verify what I had, and I placed my order with the person I spoke with after they mentioned they were paid on commission. The next day when I took a closer look at my order confirmation, I noticed it had the wrong part number listed, and was for a more expensive kit. They placed the order for the LS T56 adapter kit instead of the viper kit, which has a few different parts, one of which is a different pilot bearing. I called back and got the same person I spoke with, after pointing out the different part numbers, I was told he would personally go out and speak with the shipping manager to make sure I got the correct parts in my shipment. I specifically pointed out the pilot bearing, and was again reassured he'd make sure it was in there.

Two days later - as I remember it - I notice I was still charged for the more expensive kit, and have to call back to have it corrected. When I got the parts, i found that they had STILL sent MOST of the wrong kit. The wrong instructions and the wrong pilot bearing. I called back, verified I had the wrong part number for the pilot bearing, and was told they'd send out the correct part with a shipping label to send back the one I have.

Another week goes by with no response to two requests for an update. I call back today to find out the status and I'm told the shipping department hasn't heard anything about it. They'll get the parts out with the return label ASAP. A little later and I get a call where I'm told they can't do that. I'll either need to buy the correct part, and send in the one i have, or they'll send me the shipping label and I'll have to send in my part before they'll ship me the correct bearing. That's where I finally lost my patience.

Again, this is not really that big of a deal, but the number of errors and apparent miscommunications that have occurred for this to get drug out for two weeks is frustrating. If I had just ordered the thing online, I doubt I would have had any trouble.

Well, rant over

are no replies allowed to this thread?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by glr0212 View Post
      are no replies allowed to this thread?
      Correct. If you have an experience you want to share, please start a new thread.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I was supposed to get a shipping label to send back the bearing yesterday, but no luck. Called them back this morning to see if we can move things along.

Finally got the shipping label emailed to me in the afternoon on Friday (the 24th) after another call that morning. I didn't have a box that was reasonably sized for something as small as a pilot bearing (though I did consider sending it in a big one ). I finally got the the thing shipped back yesterday. We'll see how it plays out from here. Hopefully it will be quick and painless form here on out.

Still no bearing. I had almost convinced myself that I was just expecting too much, however, I had a transaction with another vendor last week where some parts were missing. Those parts were in my hands by the end of the week.

I placed my order with American Powertrain on March 6th, so this has been going on for almost a month now.

Full disclosure, I failed to include the RMA slip in the package I sent back. I did email and let them know.

I am officially one month and one day into this, and still no resolution. On the 3rd (the same day as my previous post) I emailed and asked for an update. I got a call back and was told they were machining the bearing. Considering how long I've been waiting for this, I would have expected them to take a little initiative and would have done that already. It is a special order item, but I special ordered it a month ago! They told me i would have a tracking number the next day.

Today I emailed and asked for an update and got a response that they were checking on it. Still nothing.

I finally got another bearing!!!!

But it's the WRONG one! So, still trying to get this fixed.

It looks like I have the correct bearing now. It arrived on Saturday, 4/15. That's six weeks for a single bearing. I've actually received two bushings from a different vendor in that same time frame, both of which were at my door the same week I ordered.

As a parting observation, I'm sure no one will be surprised that i'm extremely disappointed with American Powertrain. At this point, I would be hard pressed to purchase anything else from them, even if they offer the same parts for less. While the people I've spoken with seem nice, there was very little effort to take ownership of the problem until the last two weeks.

While the internet is typically an echo chamber for poor experiences, there are other similar reports about American Powertrain. It seems to be the same story over and over. They are very nice, but disorganized. I hope I'm an outlier, and these guys actually have their act together. I must admit I'm afraid of what issues I'll run into when I actually start putting this adapter kit into my car.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com