Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

new cam installation, call people that made your cam to find valve adjustment spec

i just put a new comp cam hydraulic roller cam in my sbc, i have read that you adjust your lifters to 1/4 turn tight preload up to 2 turns (which is on the high side). the cam is a 230/236 duration, 510/520 lift, ground on a 108LSA, with new stainless rockers (crane). my lifters had a noise like rattle to them, seems like the cam caused this with it duration??? finally got smart CALLED COMP CAM (GO TO THE SOURCE THAT BUILT THE CAM) , the tech told me start at a 1/2 turn preload, if still rattles go 1/8 turn more (5/8 turn), if still rattle go to 3/4 turn preload, the rattle went away at 5/8 turn preload in my motor.

i like that the tech explained that the roller lifters are heavy that is why start at 1/2 turn preload, i liked that he told me personally he used the 1/8 turn incruments after the 1/2 turn preload. he also told me that with a light hydraulic lifter (non roller) you can get by with a 1/4 turn maybe some times.

i never heard of the roller rockers rattling, after a little research i found it is a common problem with radical cams (i did not think my cam was that wild) oh well. had me worried, sounded like my crank was rattling.

at a 1/4 turn lash i was not getting good oil flow out of a couple push rods, once i was at 1/2 turn everythings was flowing well.

super chevy dynoed the fast burn sbc heads with this cam (they had a 110LSA. DANGER MOUSE Pt.13 fast burning power

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com