Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Splined sway bar question.

I am mocking up the sway bar on my modified 4th gen camaro front suspension. I am using Keyser/Port City needle bearings and 1 1/4 49 spline straight steel arms that are 3/4" thick. My question is what is the best way to bend the arms? They will need a single bend of about 35* midway of the bar length. Total length of finished arm will be roughly 15" long and have 3 mounting hole provisions for tuning.

Also, these arms are HEAVY at 9lbs apiece. Can aluminum arms be used on a 3300lb PT car safely?

I want to thank Ron and all other commentators on this forum for sharing their wisdom and ideas. I have and will continue to develop a much deeper understanding of suspension dynamics from reading many of these posts.

Dave

How tight a radius does the bend need to be?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

A 20 ton press will do it if you keep the radius large enough. If you need a real tight bend you will need a bigger press. A piece of 2" round stock pressing between two more pieces of round stock about 4" apart (6" center to center) will get it done.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Country Flag: Canada
      Recommended die opening size is 8x material thickness until you get to half inch then it jumps up to 10x material thickness ... 3/4" mild steel is well beyond large enough for what you're doing I'm willing to bet it could be done with 1/2 or 5/8" which would save some weight and make it easier to bend .
      Be aware of what you are trying to do it your bending it at home, might be best to take them to a local shop and have someone fire them thru the brake . Also be aware you will lose length do to the bends , 35 degrees really won't change it too much but it will somewhat . As for trying it at home on a 20 ton press .....thats your call ...play safe
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Splined sway bar question.

A torch, a vise, and a big adjustable wrench.

We use 49 spline aluminum arms on our chassis, no problems. We also use the steel ones you're using depending on application.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Thanks for all the quick responses. I have all the required tools that Schwartz Perf. Recommended but if aluminum arms will work I would rather go that route. I would imagine those would be to be bent in a press at a local machine shop.

Ok so sent the steel arm back and ordered an aluminum one from Speedwsy. Question again is what is best way to bend it. Actual angle is 55* with a radius of about 2 1/2". I am guessing a torch and vice won't work.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com