Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

69 Camaro seats for tall people

Im getting ready to redo the interior in my 69 Camaro. i planned to do the TMI interior and recover the stock seats. However im 6'4" and i have heard that the TMI seat covers with sport foam sit up higher than stock. I have trouble fitting with stock seats so im trying to find an option for the lowest sitting seat there is but still look good. I have seen the new TMI Pro viper bucket seats that appear to have a very thin bottom but have not seen them installed in a 69 camaro and i have also sent a message to TMI with no response on if they are indeed a low sitting seat.

So im looking for recommendations and or pictures of some seats for tall people.

I have the same concern about the TMI replacement seat foams so I'm considering their classic pro seats, but also the ProCar Elite Lumbar seats. I'm considering getting vinyl upholstery that matches my interior exactly and having ProCar cover a pair of their seats with it using a stiching pattern to closely match my OEM interior.

I am 6'5" and went with Recaro Experts. Only mocked so far but I have plenty of headroom after moving the mounts back (that's the key).

I'm 6'5" - 6'6" as well, and the lowest base I found was the Corbeau A4. So I got a set, with a driver shaved base, in my Cutlass. I dig 'em.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Here's another option for you. I tried out some seats at the new car show a couple years back. These are from a Scion FRS which is same as Subaru BRZ. They will be recovered when the interior is done. The drivers side has a pump level to lower it an inch or so more. I'm 6'1" and have clearance for the headliner. Name:  IMG_0377a.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  136.7 KBName:  IMG_0375.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  122.9 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      Hey there
      So, 1st off no way I would use the TMI stuff/foams on stock seats if your over 6 feet ... Ive been there, also frankly the seats suck compared newer seats on the market.
      First and foremost you need to figure out what 'look' you want in your interior. do you want a more modern or 'pro-touring' look or Resto look

TMI can make you anything you want, they are a great product and have a LOT of selection with low profile base seats, or you can go Recaro, or Corbeau ... LOTS of choices based on your budget

Next, you can easily build or have someone build you some custom, low profile seats brackets that place the seats further back ... I've made about 3 or 4 sets and its simple

Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Definitely check out Braum Racing. They have seats that are low profile, look cool, amazing quality and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      Definitely check out Braum Racing. They have seats that are low profile, look cool, amazing quality and comfortable.
      Funny you should mention those too Greg, this is what I am going to use in my 2nd FJ40 Diesel R2.8 build. Whats great is that you can purchase by the yard any of the seat materials they have to match on your rear seat, door panels, arm rest etc.

Going British tan !

Cheers
      Steve

2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      Do they tilt forward for rear seat access?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Do they tilt forward for rear seat access?
      yessir

2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD

Scion FRS Seat Mounts

Here are pictures of the front and back mounts. I just used 3/8 bar stock and drilled it for the floor and for the seats. Flat head screws were used to countersink into the bar stock for the floor.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Great job Steve - they didn't have that option when I bought mine
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
      Funny you should mention those too Greg, this is what I am going to use in my 2nd FJ40 Diesel R2.8 build. Whats great is that you can purchase by the yard any of the seat materials they have to match on your rear seat, door panels, arm rest etc.

Going British tan !

Cheers
      Steve

Those are beautiful

Bkfast02: hoping you see this reply since this was your last post. I bought some BRZ seats and would like to get more details on the bar stock mounting you did. Do you have any pictures of the bar stock in the car but without the seat installed? I don’t understand your comment in the other thread about countersunk screws and how you bolted the seat to the bar stock. Did you tap and thread the bar stock for seat bolts?

we adjusted the positions of the existing mounts to get the lowest mounting points. has held up well with 3 years of hard driving.
      Name:  20181201_135753.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  160.0 KBName:  20181201_135746.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  200.0 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Btmatt: good stuff! Looks like I’ll do the same. Anything you would do differently if you were doing it again?

On another note, did you remove the airbag inflators from the seats?

Have you installed these in your project yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless View Post
      - - - Updated - - -

Btmatt: good stuff! Looks like I’ll do the same. Anything you would do differently if you were doing it again?

Sorry, just saw this. Seats have worked flawlessly. Only change would be to lose some weight so I fit better

We did not remove the air bags; didn't want to risk tearing the cover

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless View Post
      - - - Updated - - -

Have you put these in your ride yet?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com