Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

335's on a 67 Camaro

So I'm doing research on the whole wheel / tire size, backspacing and all the math. I called Detroit speed the other day about their wheel and tire size recommendations for use with their mini tubs. I have a 67 and was planning on running a 335 but when I spoke with them they were adamant that no larger than a 315 should be run on a 67-68 although a 335 could be run on a 69 because the 69's are an inch wider than the 67's and 68's. I know the only difference between a 315 and 335 is about a 3/4 of an inch but that's pretty major when your trying to stuff tires in tight spots. So was just curious what tricks you guys had up your sleeves on getting the 335's to fit, I'm guessing it's rolling or cutting the fender, but need all the info I can get before ordering wheels and tires. Thanks

I coukd fit a 335 on my car but it would half to be exact. Rear end would flex side to side some buy if you trimmed the fender some you would be fine.

335's on a 67 Camaro

We've put 345's on 67/8 cars quite often. Not sure what the problem is? Might depend on ride height.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Unless you are running a 315mm up front, I wouldn't worry about getting a 335 in back.

315s in back are all you 'need'.

And the best tire company Falken does not make a 335 anyway.

Just my .02
      MADGOAT

Quote Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
      Unless you are running a 315mm up front, I wouldn't worry about getting a 335 in back.

315s in back are all you 'need'.

And the best tire company Falken does not make a 335 anyway.

Just my .02
      I think this is all opinion personally.

I have toyo r888 335's on the back of my 68 and I still have traction issues, plus 335's have a much better height than most 315's that are not DR. I prefer toyo's over Falkens (again its just my opion) My car is decently low too, low enough to where I had to modify the tunnel where the pinion would hit the floor.

FYI - I have DSE tubs and rolled fender lips.

315s are perfect match with 275 on the front. Same setup as a older viper and it's what I have on my 67. I'm not a big fan of toyo or falken compared to michelin for a overall quality tire. Now of I was drag racing that would be different

Speedtech has a great build thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...o-by-Speedtech
      They have 335/18/30s on the rear. You could use them as a source to get specifics on how they got them to fit.

I have a Heidts 4-link with a 58" Ford 9".
      I've rolled the edges of the fenders a little and I am running 315s in back on 18*11" rims, but could fit 335s and probably 345s
      In hindsight, I would have gone with 19" wheels, much more selection on tire size...maybe next time!

If DSE says you can't run anything larger than 315 then someone better tell my car cause it has been equipped with 18x12 335s for that past four years. DSE also told me I could only run a max of 9.5" wide wheel up front so I guess my 18x10" wheels didn't actually fit for the past 12000 miles. Actually, I think DSE is just being conservative on their recommendations.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Actually, I think DSE is just being conservative on their recommendations.
      As they should be, Because when someone finds the odd ball that doesn't fit and has a **** storm over it DSE is responsible. I think most companies are conservative for many reasons.

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

With my luck mine would probably be the oddball lol. I'm going to go with the 335's for sure and hopefully it's not a super tight fit. As far as the frame notching goes the thought had crossed my mind to notch a little more of the frame than DSE recommends and reinforce the opposite side of the frame with either 3/16 plate or 1 5/8 tubing cut down the middle to make (like a half moon piece of tubing) support. Has anyone does this?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com