Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

New member, making progres on my 72 Chevelle

I have another thread going over at chevelles.com http://www.chevelles.com/forums/142-...ve-enough.html but thought I would post here as well. I started this project 4 years ago and am finally nearing the finish line. I am doing 100% of the work myself. I just finished my center console and covered it in vinyl. Also got started on reupholstering the seats. I liked the leather but with everything else new you could tell they needed some attention. I created a better design for the pleats that matches the factory door panels better. I am going to be adding the door panel center emblem on the seat backs as well. The only other upholstery work I have done prior to this was on the trunk panels, I am a little slow but I am getting there.
      Name:  ConsoleCovered1.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  303.3 KBName:  seatbtm1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  303.5 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Pretty cool. Will be nice to have a cupholder.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I am moving right along. I finished sewing up the front seats and stuck them back in the car for now. I still need to steam out a wrinkle here and there but I think they turned out decent. I am planning on finishing the dash this week so I will be done with the interior. Since this pic was taken I have fixed the side bolster on the top part of the drivers seat where the french seams didn't line up correctly.
      Name:  frontseats1.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  185.7 KB

I am doing a center console right now on my 69 Buick GS conv't...I am attempting something very similar to what you have done. This is a picture of the console before it was cut. I am curuious about how you did your shifter. I have the same horseshoe shifter and am trying to decide how to do it.

ZName:  20170119_102353.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  252.9 KB

What I did on mine is, the center section of the console is removable (the whole top surface), The console goes in first and slides right over the shifter, then the small center divider between the shifter posts goes in, then the whole top surface press fits into the top.. I hope that makes sense. I will be taking it out soon in order to start masking for paint. I would be happy to take some disassembled pics for you if you like.

That would be great, thanks!

Looking good

I have been wondering how I am going to finish off the area under the dash. I am putting the complete interior from a 2011 BMW convertible in my 1970 Cutlass convertible. The center console ends short of the dash just in front of the shifter. I am considering trying to end it there and blend it into the floor or extending it forward and up like you guys are doing to meet the dash. Good job by both of you, post some pictures of the finished product.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Country Flag: Canada
      Holy crap! Do you have any more pics of your interior? I have a 71 and a set of uninstalled M3 F/R seats. I'm interested to see what BMW interior looks like in an Olds.

Country Flag: United States
      I'm curious to know how you got the door handle internals set up
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Bart,
      Just finished reading your other build thread. Lots of great looking work. What did you think of the SPI base and clear? I just used some of their epoxy primer and liked the way it laid down. I was thinking of trying the black base and clear instead of having a new vinyl top put on my car.
      Btw, the seats look nice. If I had not just finished reupholstering mine I would go out and pick up a set of those. They look to fit nicely with the older styling of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by phaf View Post
      Bart,
      Just finished reading your other build thread. Lots of great looking work. What did you think of the SPI base and clear?.
      I would say it is the best stuff I have used to date and I have been painting cars since the late 80's. I have used every brand you can think of and SPI is in a completely different class all by itself.

Lickity, I will post some more pictures soon. I have only been able to work on it 4 or 5 hours per week. I have the console mounted and am in the process of mounting the seats. There are some more pictures in the project updates section. Are you on the yb?

Chuck, BMW uses a cable from the door handle to the lock mechanism. I made a bracket for the cable to mount to the rod that runs horizontally in the door. I secured the cable to the rod with small hose clamps. Its just a matter of preloading the cable to make the door open correctly. That part was surprisingly easy.

Name:  20170513_185822.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  199.1 KBName:  20170513_185459.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  181.6 KB

I ran out of patience and talent on my console extension. I may get back to it at some point but probably not. I just could not get it to look right without extending it up all the way to the dash. I just hacked it off after the trim, sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Dan

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com