Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ridiculously solid 1968 Plymouth GTX roller/project

1968 GTX
      This L code 1968 GTX spent most of its life in Oklahoma and is the most solid Mopar I've owned or seen. The previous owner worked on it for 8 years and modified it to drag race but he lost interest. I bought it in 2015 with intent to build a restomod, but after a year of considering which car to build, I started building my 1968 Roadrunner post instead. I would have been money ahead to build this GTX but I was drawn to the post. I've thought long and hard about just keeping this car but I don't need two 1968 Plymouth projects with nearly identical bodies so I'm selling this to fund my ongoing 1968 Roadrunner restomod build (I have a build thread here on PT). This GTX was originally had a 440 4bbl engine with column shift auto (there are no shifter brackets on the floor), but the original engine and transmission are long gone. It has a narrowed and reinforced 8 3/4" rear end with Moser axles and rear disc brakes. The front suspension has all been rebuilt/rebushed, except the lower ball joints. The front brakes are mismatched/incomplete drums so they'll need replaced. No differential is included.
      This car is ridiculously solid. Since it was an Oklahoma car, it was in a dry climate and must have been kept inside most of its life. The frame rails, torsion bar cross member, floor pans, and hood hinge areas are as solid as you can find on a 49 year old unrestored car. The frame rails are not even scaly. The trunk floor pan and lower quarters received small patches but the car is all metal. I encourage you to bring a magnet and look for yourself. The car was originally A4 silver but the engine bay, door jambs, and trunk have been painted Sassy Grass Green, which is a later Mopar color. The rear end was narrowed/reinforced and the rear wheel houses have been mini-tubbed to accommodate wide tires. New forward leaf springs mounts were installed which relocate the leaf spring mounts inboard, for more tire clearance. The original leaf springs mounts are still there if you wanted to use those. A roll cage has been installed by the previous owner. Subframe connectors were added using 3"x3"square tubing that was welded on the ends. The front frame rails have been braced with round tubing that runs from the firewall to front frame rails (see pictures). I was planning to remove the roll cage and engine bay bracing but I never got around to it. The grille (very rare) and headlight bezels are straight and in excellent shape. The hood is a light weight lift off fiberglass piece. The front windshield and rear windows are installed and in good shape. The car comes with all the side glass.
      I don't have any seats or interior for it. I have a set of leather SRT8 bucket seats that would be available at additional cost. The original door/side panels are gone and the doors have been gutted/trimmed but the car comes with aluminum door panels that the previous owner made to use as door panels. The dash has been cut, but I bought a nice 1969 dash frame that is included. The radio and environmental controls are missing, but I will include an original factory dash harness and heater box from my 1968 roadrunner project. I have a factory 1968 b body instrument cluster I will include but I don't know its condition as I never used it
      The dash VIN plate is fastened with factory rosette rivets. I have a clean Kansas title in my name. I don't have a fender tag or build sheet for it. It's a project for sure but as solid as it is, you would save yourself some money in sheet metal repair. This GTX is the IDEAL car for a Pro touring build. SOLD

Here is a link to some pictures. I'll get some more posted soon.
      http://s282.photobucket.com/user/850...?sort=3&page=1

here's both cars in the same picture. Sometimes I wonder why Ididn't just build the GTX. If you've seen my roadrunner build, you've seen the work that had to be done. The roadrunner build thread:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-speed-and-IRS

Hey man, I just stumbled on your ad on Craigslist and that brought me here. I'm very interested. A couple questions...
      Do you have all the regulators and guts for the doors?
      Do you have the bumpers and everything?
      Did the car have a different core support put on it? Those numbers don't match the sequence number... Unless I'm missing something (very possible)
      How much do you think you want for those SRT8 seats, and do they come with the rails and everything?

I'm very interested and we're pretty close (Nebraska). Thanks in advance!

PM sent. The radiator support has factory spot welds on it so it's the original. In 1968, the number on the core support is the order/sequence number so it will not match the VIN plate. Mopar did not start stamping the partial VIN on the radiator support until 1969. I don't have the regulators but I have the door/quarter window glass, quarter panel extensions, taillight housings/lenses, most (if not all) of the chrome/stainless trim, "GTX" quarter panel callouts, an automatic column, manual steering box/pitman arm, a power steering gear box, a driveshaft (It's not stock but it's beefy), a stock 8.75" rearend housing, an uncut 1969 dash frame, a heater box (from my 68 roadrunner), dash wiring harness (from my 68 roadrunner) the turn signal chrome/lights for the fenders/quarters, and some more odds and ends. I did not get any bumpers with it but I did pick up a rear bumper core that would ne included. Its got dings/rash so it would need straightened/rechromed.

I have one set of black SRT seats with red stitching (from a 2008 Charger SRT8) and another set of black seats with small blue squares in the inset (from a 2008 Charger Super Bee SRT8). The seats include the rails and seat wiring. Price depends on the set.

It's now in an eBay auction which ends 3/19/17

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1968-Plymouth-...%257Ciid%253A1

Sold

If this sale falls through contact me. Long time lurker finally joined to respond this ad.

Wow sold cheap under $6,000!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn01754 View Post
      Wow sold cheap under $6,000!
      It's gone. The buyer got a really, really solid car. I would have been money ahead to built the GTX instead of my 68 roadrunner post but I have a thing for the post.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com