Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Brake booster boot and firewall hole

Car is a 67 camaro drum/drum. Converting to power disc/disc. Booster is a Tuffstuff 9" dual diaphragm. Using DSE brackets.

The question I have is when installing the booster the boot on the back is bigger than the original hole in the firewall but about 1/8". If I try to install it the booster/brackets leave about a 1/4" gap. Is the boot supposed to fit inside the hole? Thanks

pics of boot and hole and firewall

Name:  IMG_1962.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  125.8 KBName:  IMG_1960.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  216.9 KB

Think I found my answerName:  image.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  223.4 KB

Do you have this pic as a file that can be printed?

I just installed the same booster and brackets on my 67 Camaro. At first I thought I had to trim the hole. I realized that if cut the hole bigger I won't have a seal keeping water out of the interior if I wash the engine bay.

So I removed the rubber boot and installed the booster to check for interferance on the booster / firewall and I had none. I removed booster, pushed the end of the rubber boot through the firewall, and reinstalled booster seating the other end of the rubber boot on the booster as I installed it.

Now I have a water tight seal on my firewall.
      Brian

'67 Camaro SS/RS, Blueprint Engines LS376, Bowler T56 Magnum
      Front suspension: Ridetech, Speedtech, DSE
      Rear suspension: Speedtech Torque Arm

i second ponchojohn, im installing a similar booster/master combo in my lemans

Quote Originally Posted by 72poncho View Post
      i second ponchojohn, im installing a similar booster/master combo in my lemans
      He careful. I used that bracket on my 65 Buick and it caused the brake rod to break. It seems that the low angle bracket needs a new hole drilled in the pedal, somewhere between the manual and power holes.

I just had the same problem with my 69 firebird, using the same parts. There was about 1/4" of space between the brakes and the firewall but I pulled it in by tightening the nuts up on the studs. Now I'm wondering if I need to take it apart and enlarge the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by psiconversion View Post
      He careful. I used that bracket on my 65 Buick and it caused the brake rod to break. It seems that the low angle bracket needs a new hole drilled in the pedal, somewhere between the manual and power holes.
      would a shorter rod prevent it from binding?

How does your booster fit with the DSE brackets? have any pics?
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
      I just had the same problem with my 69 firebird, using the same parts. There was about 1/4" of space between the brakes and the firewall but I pulled it in by tightening the nuts up on the studs. Now I'm wondering if I need to take it apart and enlarge the hole.
      Well I took it back apart and enlarged the hole slightly with a die grinder. I re drilled the brake pedal because it did indeed not line up correctly. Then the problem became that the pushrod is not long enough. So I'm the process of trying to take the double nuts off the old pushrod and I f'd up the threads so now the booster needs to come off a third time. pita
      Name:  WP_20171203_13_04_38_Pro.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  133.3 KBName:  WP_20171203_13_04_56_Pro.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  129.8 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com