Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1st gen camaro hotchkis handle bars

Does anyone have experience installing hotchkis handle bars with billet hood hinges ?
      I have Eddie Motorsports hinges on my 67 camaro and have been considering hotchkis handle bars . I also have hydroboost , which might be extending the master cylinder out a bit.
      My concern is that the billet hinges may hinder the hotchkis support mounts at the firewall.
      Anyone with experience with this combination, please let me know, and a picture would be very helpful.
      thanks ,
      Duane

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pursuit View Post
      Does anyone have experience installing hotchkis handle bars with billet hood hinges ?
      I have Eddie Motorsports hinges on my 67 camaro and have been considering hotchkis handle bars . I also have hydroboost , which might be extending the master cylinder out a bit.
      My concern is that the billet hinges may hinder the hotchkis support mounts at the firewall.
      Anyone with experience with this combination, please let me know, and a picture would be very helpful.
      thanks ,
      Duane
      The Hotchkis handle bars did not work with the ring brothers hinges i had....the gas cylinder sits off to the side into the engine compartment and hit the sides of the handle bar not allowing the hood to close........personally i liked the performance advantage the handle bars offered so i got rid of the hinges

Hi Rod,

Can you give me a measurement of the space between the fender and the bar, at the hinge mounting point?

Thanks.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Thanks Rod,
      I will be keeping the hinges, so will need a more custom front frame support system.

Hey guys on a side note, what was the final verdict on Chassis Max Bars Bars fitting 1st Gen with ls2? Specifically 68 convertible with holley engine trans mounted LS2, fittment issues with crossover bar ever confirmed to fit or interfere?

Quote Originally Posted by MAGONSTERZ68 View Post
      Hey guys on a side note, what was the final verdict on Chassis Max Bars Bars fitting 1st Gen with ls2? Specifically 68 convertible with holley engine trans mounted LS2, fittment issues with crossover bar ever confirmed to fit or interfere?
      The handlebars will not clear the Holley accessory drive on both sides. Not even close. I had to extensively cut and modify mine to get them to fit. The cross bar also needs to move forward.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

My question is: How much of a difference do these bars make? Is it noticeable improvement?
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

handle bar w/ ls2

i did not use the holley accessory drive on this build but rather notched the sub frame and located alternator and ac pump underneath engine.
      As for the cross bar what did it interfere with? Sounds like it could contact the power steering pump?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MAGONSTERZ68 View Post
      i did not use the holley accessory drive on this build but rather notched the sub frame and located alternator and ac pump underneath engine.
      As for the cross bar what did it interfere with? Sounds like it could contact the power steering pump?
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ars-no-shakers
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Awesome!, thx

handlebars clears LS2 application, custom repop with new dimensions looks totally stock, down to the powdercoat! clears hood without having to modify the actual mounts.Name:  LS2 BAR CLEARS.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  21.1 KBName:  LS2 BAR.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  28.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
      My question is: How much of a difference do these bars make? Is it noticeable improvement?
      Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      Any updates?
      Works like a champ, corners with the best of them, very nimble. I dont road race by any means but did want rigid as possible with an fbody convertible especially with 600lb springs pushin up on pockets. minimal flex when i lift up either front corner with floor jack speaks volumes compared to original set up. Well worth it as long as your not looking to add a power adders, it would be a tight fit in the engine compartment with fender wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      The Hotchkis handle bars did not work with the ring brothers hinges i had....the gas cylinder sits off to the side into the engine compartment and hit the sides of the handle bar not allowing the hood to close........personally i liked the performance advantage the handle bars offered so i got rid of the hinges
      I glad I found this thread. I'm planning to add the Hotchkis handlebars and buy the Ring Brothers hinges and hadn't even thought about interference issues.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

For what it's worth, you can also get downbars from Chassisworks or have a local fabricator make a set to fit your car as needed.

This thread post #40 has some results on the Chassisworks "struts" in a 1st gen Camaro, indicating a significant improvement in torsional rigidity.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...and-increasing

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
      3820 lb ft/deg Starting Torsional Rigidity
      4290 lb ft/deg With Solid Body mounts from Chris Alston (12% improvement for about $100)
      4750 lb ft/deg with body mounts and DSE Subframe Connectors (11% additional improvement for about $200; 24% total improvement for about $300).
      5305 lb ft/deg with body mounts, subframe connectors, and forward struts (12% additional improvement for about $350; 39% total improvement for about $650 and about 3 days of work).

For you SI guys, and to compare to Sik68's list, the numbers are:
      5176 Nm/deg Baseline
      5813 Nm/deg Solid Body Mounts
      6436 Nm/deg Body Mounts plus Subframe Connectors
      7188 Nm/deg Body Mounts, Subframe Connectors and Struts.

Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com