Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Who has the TMI Headliner in their first gen f-body?

About to pull the trigger on the TMI one piece molded suede/fiberglass headliner. I'd like to hear any feedback from those who have any first hand experience installing one of these. How's the fit and finish? Thank you in advance!

1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

Country Flag: Canada
      Just installed mine last week with my interior guy and we were VERY impressed with the fit and finish ... everything is nice and tight and installed in less than 2 hours
      Need 2 people and a 6 spring clamps and your good to go

Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

I installed mine by myself and it would have been much easier with two people.
      As stated, the fit and finish is very good. (I bought the vinyl, not the suede.)

It's a bit tricky locating & drilling holes for shoulder belt mounts. (I have Morris 3-point belts.)
      But other than that it's not difficult.
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
      Just installed mine last week with my interior guy and we were VERY impressed with the fit and finish ... everything is nice and tight and installed in less than 2 hours
      Need 2 people and a 6 spring clamps and your foot to go

Cheers
      Steve
      Hey Steve thanks for the info. Did you buy new spring clamps or did you reuse your existing prices?
      1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

Spring clamps are to hold the headliner up while you position it. The fit is pretty good. Sorta win it was maybe a 1/4 longer to cover some of the front windhoek Area more but overall excellent. I had to use a trick to mount my sail panels and mirror and dome light holes didn't match up. I made a hole finder to mount my seat belts. I had to use a washer between the headliner and metal roof to make up the gap so the seat belts didn't pull on the headliner. I have a write up on facebook on first gen camaro connection

Country Flag: Canada
      OK ... For anyone that is going to install one of these TMI headliners this is a GREAT thread that details some pointers that will save you time and effort and from making any mistakes
      Sorry, should have posted this earlier

There is a fantastic trick here also to build a cool little tool to locate the holes for the seat belts

Here you go ...

http://www.camaros.net/forums/23-int...ls-w-pics.html

Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Do the TMI headliners give up any headroom over stock style? Thanks, Scott
      Scott Atkinson
      68 Camaro SS in progress
      Las Vegas, NV / Redondo Beach, CA

Yes. I would say atleast a inch. I'm 6'2 and have lowered seats but I can fit a helmet easily without touching the roof

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
      OK ... For anyone that is going to install one of these TMI headliners this is a GREAT thread that details some pointers that will save you time and effort and from making any mistakes
      Sorry, should have posted this earlier

There is a fantastic trick here also to build a cool little tool to locate the holes for the seat belts

Here you go ...

http://www.camaros.net/forums/23-int...ls-w-pics.html

Cheers
      Steve
      That's an awesome thread Steve. Much appreciated!

I have the suede and it's a very nice piece. Easy install with two people.

Just did mine. Dome light holes needed to be re-drilled, rear top corners had glued spaces as if to bolt them behind sail panels but no mention of it in their instructions. Front a-pillars snap in place and hold pretty well without drilling a hole to bolt them down.

Overall fit and finish is good, but there are a couple of things that annoy me. First being that material was hanging above drivers head right out the box. Had to run to the store to get a can of spray glue, peel it back some and spray.

A-pillars don't meet the dash like stock ones did. The stock ones kind of tucked in to corners of the dash, these sit over the dash and maybe 1/4" or so tall where they sit on the dash.

In the back the headliner sags in the middle because there isn't anything holding it back there. I'm contemplating shooting some urethane in there and holding it up until it sets to glue it to the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sec ss View Post
      Just did mine. Dome light holes needed to be re-drilled, rear top corners had glued spaces as if to bolt them behind sail panels but no mention of it in their instructions. Front a-pillars snap in place and hold pretty well without drilling a hole to bolt them down.

Overall fit and finish is good, but there are a couple of things that annoy me. First being that material was hanging above drivers head right out the box. Had to run to the store to get a can of spray glue, peel it back some and spray.

A-pillars don't meet the dash like stock ones did. The stock ones kind of tucked in to corners of the dash, these sit over the dash and maybe 1/4" or so tall where they sit on the dash.

In the back the headliner sags in the middle because there isn't anything holding it back there. I'm contemplating shooting some urethane in there and holding it up until it sets to glue it to the roof.
      I genuinely appreciate your feedback. I have yet to tackle this install but have the TMi headliner kit staged ready to go. You brought up quite a few points of interest. Did the rear sagging issue ever get resolved? The a pillers not lining up properly seems like a QC issue. Maybe TMI would swap them out for a proper fitting pair?

my fit and finish was spot on. I didnt like the A pilars since they didnt fit well but everything else was great.

I put mine in last night. A pain to locate the holes for morris seat belts. looks pretty good. thought it would give me more headroom but no. drivers side rear sail panel has a gap where it meets roof at rear window. I guess ill take it out and trim the front side. idk.
      69 Camaro
      03 z06
      90 mustang coupe

Quote Originally Posted by DippedInSauce View Post
      I genuinely appreciate your feedback. I have yet to tackle this install but have the TMi headliner kit staged ready to go. You brought up quite a few points of interest. Did the rear sagging issue ever get resolved? The a pillers not lining up properly seems like a QC issue. Maybe TMI would swap them out for a proper fitting pair?
      Sagging isn’t resolved as of yet, a trip to an upholstery place and they suggested a gob of like urethane and prop it up while it dries.

Pillars are lining up and snapping in place perfectly, but they sit literally on top of the dash instead of tucking away like the factory ones did.

after living w mine for a week and driving, I do like it even though I thought it would give me more headroom. adds a nice touch. now I just need to find someone to wrap my dashpad in suede
      69 Camaro
      03 z06
      90 mustang coupe

see i used a set of 69 camaro A pilars instead of the ones supplied. The transittion flows very nicely from the suede headliner and visors to the 69 pilars to the 67 dash pad.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com