Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Advice for First Goodguys Autocross

I'm considering involving my '67 Mustang in the autocross coming up at the Goodguys event in Ft. Worth. My car is no no performance machine in that is has a stock suspension, stock style disc brakes, but a slightly warmed up engine. I don't want to be the guy who slows everyone down or does not have a clue. Does anyone have advice for me on how to approach my first time, things to take, do I need a helmet, etc? Would it be best to go early on Friday so as to not slow things down Saturday?

I'm watching some videos on YouTube for some ideas. However, I thought I would ask here as well. If I've missed a previous post with these type answers, please help me out by pointing me to it as I'm not finding much with a search.

Well well another rookie just like me. I plan on running mine as well this goodguys. My car is setup for it but my knowledge and guts are not lol. Might have a few other 1st Gen camaro join me as well but I won't be anywhere near as fast as most. Buddy has a 98 cobra that I would like to convince run as well

First of all, you will not slow anyone down. At Good-Guys there is only one car on the track at a time. Second, don't be so serious. Come out to the event and have fun. Just like any form of racing you have to built up to your comfort zone. Third, do not compare yourself to everyone else in the field. Some of these guys drive almost every weekend. They are more experienced. Fourth, you will not meet a better bunch of car guys at a Good-Guys show. Look for me I'm in an orange 69 Camaro, I'll help you all I can any yes you will need a helmet this year. Go to the Good-Guys website for information.

Go into the corners slower than you think at first, and feather the throttle as you accelerate out so you don't just spin the tires and become "The Sidways Kone-Killing Drifter". As laps progress you can work on braking a little later and accelerating out a little harder. Really all it is is a bunch of u-turns and acceleration zones, don't over complicate it.

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Good for you! Good Guys is a great place to start, and there are plenty of other people there slowing things down so, it's normal. Being your first time, I would recommend getting there early to walk the course, find someone else there to walk the course with so you can get a lay of the land. Then, ask to ride with some of the other folks before you so you can see what the course looks like at speed. There are a lot of cones and at first it just looks like a sea of them, walking the course and riding with other drivers will help you to sort out the pattern. Then when it's your turn to drive, take it easy the first couple laps and try to understand what the cones are telling your. It's very easy to overdrive the course!

Have fun, talk to lots of people, listen to what they have to say, HAVE FUN! Then enter more autocross events.
      1978 Pontiac Trans Am Y88-R,
      UMI Performace, LS3/T56 Holley EFI

Good morning! Trackside Suzy and I were sitting around this morning and your thread jumped up, and she has a basic intro to some Goodguys stuff she has written here is the link "Ten things about racing Goodguys" we have been running these events for a few years now all across the country...she left a few things out....dont take yourself so serious, the courses are tight and we as pros dont often run 10-10ths (full bore) unless we are in a heated run with a freind...you WILL NOT WIN ON YOUR FIRST RUN...period...we have great world class drivers like F1 Indy champion Al Unser and 10 time Pikes peak winner Robbie Unser, and yes, they, get there asses handed to them just like all of us from time to time...we all have up and down events....but soak it in, everyone helps, learn from everything and everyone...

Country Flag: Canada
      Drive the snot out of it and have a damn blast ?
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      Good morning! Trackside Suzy and I were sitting around this morning and your thread popped up, and she has a basic intro to some Goodguys stuff she has written here is the link "Ten things about racing Goodguys" we have been running these events for a few years now all across the country...she left a few things out....dont take yourself so serious, the courses are tight and we as pros dont often run 10-10ths (full bore) unless we are in a heated run with a freind...you WILL NOT WIN ON YOUR FIRST RUN...period...we have great world class drivers like F1 Indy champion Al Unser and 10 time Pikes peak winner Robbie Unser, and yes, they, get there asses handed to them just like all of us from time to time...we all have up and down events....but soak it in, everyone helps, learn from everything and everyone...
      Thanks for the link to that post as it is helpful.

I'll need to pick out a helmet as I don't have one. Thanks for all the advice!

Get there early and walk the track then walk it again. There will be plenty of pro cars there they will all help you out. I will be there running the ridetech vette find me if you need anything.

Is this the one March 17-19?

I probably won't quite be back together yet or I'd drive down.

Oh well, have fun! At this point, it's about just having some fun.

Time to test this puppy out. Front camber is sitting at 1.5 degrees neg so that should be good for the race. Ill run twice just to get the feel for it. See you all then.

Hey question here for a "first timer" i'm thinking about doing a March event but my car isn't "finished" yet, well are they ever finished? Its primer'd and no interior other than seats. Is it appropriate to enter it in "raw" form? just wondering because I wanted to track the car for ~1yr before I painted it and work out the bugs. I did a road course event last month and realized I needed to add a PS cooler but wanted to do an autocross event also for the same reason.

I did my first autocross at GoodGuys Ft Worth in 2013,IIRC, last year I won our local autocross club CAM-T championship. (San Antonio Sports Car Association) .

Show up Friday EARLY (like right at 8am) enter the North Gate (Tunnel) less traffic. Preregister and pick up your packet Thursday if you can,If you wait till Registration opens Friday you wont get to walk the course Friday because the cars will be running,and you wont get in till 10am. They ,GG,have been talking about capping the maximum number of Autocross cars due to space limitations so early is better.

New this year,Bring a helmet,bring or wear long pants (maybe).
      No drivers floor mat,NOTHING loose in the car or trunk (check under both seats) no tires with less than 200TWR. Grab the front tires at the top and make sure nothing moves/or knocks/or is loose. I always have a Torque wrench and socket that fits (dont laugh) and a good tire gauge. It's a good idea to have a few basic tools to tighten belts/clamps but you shouldn't have to lash valves or replace the rear axle.

I always top the gas of at the Valero at 114/35.
      At the end of the day I also air the tires up before I drive home,San Antonio.

The most confusing procedure to me was figuring out the run order,its really simple unless nobody tells you how it works. First the Pro Class runs at the top of every hour no matter what. There are usually 10 cars or so but many have 2 drivers ,they will cut in front of you,just let them.
      Then the regular cars run starting at the first car next to the Pro's (Usually an Orange Camaro LOL) . Be in your car strapped in when the car 5th to your left (almost always) pulls into the line to the start (they try not to stack more than 5 cars here watch the last car in line when he moves up you can move to his place) at this point you should be strapped in,helmet on and ready and calm.
      Tell the guy that motions you to the start line your a first timer and he will give you a quick run down of the start procedures.
      The GG course is unique in that you will run almost 2 laps,your first time past the finish lane you by pass it and will rerun the first part of the course then your next time down the "back strait" you take the exit. You must stop before the stop sign after the finish! You will be DQ if you dont,but the pros will not be,dont do what they do there.Spend some time and watch several cars go around so you have an idea where the exit is. Helmet in hand ask if you can ride with someone but not if they are "NEXT" you need time to strap in. Ive never turned anybody down.

The other racers will help and the tech guys will answer your questions too. Be aware that at times things can move pretty quick.

Have fun.
      I'm not going to make the March event this year but will be there in Oct.

Almost time!

I'll be there in a black 69 Camaro.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Do any of you who compete at GG have Grundy or Hagerty insurance and does competing in the AutoX pose any problem with these insurance companies? I fully understand that a car will not be covered while actually on track but I'm just curious if these insurance companies make a fuss.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I have Grundy, and have also competed in the Autocross. They have pictures of my car and it is not an issue. I have always felt that insurance is null and void as soon as you enter any kind of staging lane anyways. The insurance doesn't cover on the track, but that's not why I pay for it. I pay to protect it the 99.9% of the other time. If in the very low chance I jack it up on autocross, it's on me, but then again any autocross damage will likely be very little. I also used to have a race car (quarter mile bracket car) insured with them. They called me after they received the pics and I was completely honest about everything that was done and my intentions to race it at the drag strip. However, I wanted to drive the car to the strip since I had no trailer at the time and therefore I needed insurance. Grundy was very nice, understood and all they did was have me sign an extra piece of paper stating I understood no coverage was in effect while racing. So far I have had no issues and continue to be as completely honest with them as possible to ensure no problems do come up.
      1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport with a 454 BBC 650hp, T-56 6 speed manual trans, and 12 bolt rear 3.73 auburn posi.

Well, I went and thanks to the advice given here it went very smoothly. I'd definitely recommend everyone jump right in and don't be intimidated - you'll be competing against yourself for the most part trying to improve your time. I sure came away with an appreciation of what times the big boys peel off, but also felt pretty good at how my car ran. Lots to learn to get better, but already up to speed on how to have fun.

1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Well I suppose I'm in the same boat here for going to a GoodGuys autocross, my biggest questions are what time on Friday would I need to be there to be able to go out and walk the course,as well as do they provide us with any sort of map of the course? Then where do we go to pass tech inspection especially at the Scottsdale events? Also if we aren't in the proclass where can we park our vehicles between runs? Can we keep them up in the main areas with the other cars or where can we go? Thanks!

Get there by 8, earlier if possible, park where you see the other autocrossers park, around the edge of the course at Scottsdale. Look for an official with a clipboard, he has the tech/entry form. Tech is at your parking spot. Empty your car, floor mats too. Walk course before it goes " hot" usually that happens at 9AM. You can walk it at noon too.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 04-03-2017 at 06:17 AM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com