Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Side marker/parking lights question

So I have a 69 camaro restomod/protouring setup with an EZ Wiring kit that I didn't install and the way it's wired relative to the side marker/parking lights has me a bit confused, wondering if I should change things around. All four side markers (one front, one rear on each side) are aftermarket with dual elements... one for steady indication, one that blinks for turn indication. The front of the car is basically stock type configuration... round sylvania headlights that are only low/high beam (no turn indicators), the smaller round lamps below the bumper are turn indicators and parking lamps.

Here's the scenarios/behaviors that I'm good with:

• With the headlights off when the turn signals are activated both the front and back side markers blink, as well as the tail lights and the front round orange indicators below the bumper.
      • With the parking lights activated (headlamp stem pulled half way out) the front round orange indicators below the bumper come on solid, both front side markers come on solid, both rear side markers come on solid.

Here's the scenario/behavior that has me scratching my head:

• With the headlights on both front side markers are off (should they be?... seems like all the side markers should be on solid with the headlights on) unless the turn signals are activated then they blink as they should (I'm fine with this as well). To make matters more confusing, while the front side parking lights are off when the headlights are on the rear side markers are on solid, unless the turn indicator is activated and causes them to blink. In this scenario the rear tail lamps are on as they should be, brake light activation is at it should, etc. (again, I'm fine with all of that it's just the side parking lights that aren't consistent).

So basically the front side markers are wired fine for the turn indicators (consistent with the rear side markers, blink with or without headlights on), but act differently as parking lights than the rear side markers when the headlights are on which I don't know if I like. I've traced the EZ wiring and it's doing this because the solid lamp circuit in those front side markers are wired the same as the front round parking lights below the bumper... which is steady on as parking lights, but off with the headlights but blink whenever turn indicator is activated regardless of headlights being on or off.

Therefore I'm debating whether I should change the front side markers to come on with the headlight circuit, but then they would behave different than the rear side markers when just the parking lamps are on (headlamp stem pulled half way out) because the front side markers would be off and the rear side markers would be on. However, I'm leaning that way because I'll have the headlights on more often than just the parking lights.

What are the rest of you doing, how are you wired with the same light setups?

Thanks in advance for your insights/opinions

-Tom

When either the parking or the headlights are on the side markers should be illuminated solid. That was a federal requirement as of the 68 model year. It is not required that the side markers flash with the turn signals. Connecting the side markers to a tail lamp circuit would resolve your problem in either mode.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      When either the parking or the headlights are on the side markers should be illuminated solid. That was a federal requirement as of the 68 model year. It is not required that the side markers flash with the turn signals. Connecting the side markers to a tail lamp circuit would resolve your problem in either mode.
      Good to know and good suggestion.

Thanks

Just spoke with EZ Wiring tech and they say that the current operation is exactly how it's intended (they are mimicking what GM did in wiring the 69).

But they have worked with others to have the front side markers stay light with the headlights on... they say to do that you modify the connection at the headlight operator. Sounds like the process was to disconnect the battery, pull headlight stem all the way out (as if in the "headlight on" position), feel underneath/behind the dash for a spring loaded button corresponding to the headlight stem to release the stem, remove the nut to get to the headlight operator assembly and move the brown LF park to the same location as the LT park on the board, re-assemble.

So two questions...
      1) Has anyone out here performed the mod explained above and can confirm the result
      2) Does anyone have any clarifying tips on the procedure or link to another step by step instruction on the headlight assembly as I've never messed with this before

Thanks,
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomsResto View Post
      Just spoke with EZ Wiring tech and they say that the current operation is exactly how it's intended (they are mimicking what GM did in wiring the 69).

But they have worked with others to have the front side markers stay light with the headlights on... they say to do that you modify the connection at the headlight operator. Sounds like the process was to disconnect the battery, pull headlight stem all the way out (as if in the "headlight on" position), feel underneath/behind the dash for a spring loaded button corresponding to the headlight stem to release the stem, remove the nut to get to the headlight operator assembly and move the brown LF park to the same location as the LT park on the board, re-assemble.

So two questions...
      1) Has anyone out here performed the mod explained above and can confirm the result
      2) Does anyone have any clarifying tips on the procedure or link to another step by step instruction on the headlight assembly as I've never messed with this before

Thanks,
      Tom
      EZ Wiring guys were spot on, mod in question #1 worked flawlessly... And plenty of you tube videos out there to walk a guy through 2nd question

Quote Originally Posted by TomsResto View Post
      So I have a 69 camaro restomod/protouring setup with an EZ Wiring kit that I didn't install and the way it's wired relative to the side marker/parking lights has me a bit confused, wondering if I should change things around. All four side markers (one front, one rear on each side) are aftermarket with dual elements... one for steady indication, one that blinks for turn indication. The front of the car is basically stock type configuration... round sylvania headlights that are only low/high beam (no turn indicators), the smaller round lamps below the bumper are turn indicators and parking lamps.

Here's the scenarios/behaviors that I'm good with:

• With the headlights off when the turn signals are activated both the front and back side markers blink, as well as the tail lights and the front round orange indicators below the bumper.
      • With the parking lights activated (headlamp stem pulled half way out) the front round orange indicators below the bumper come on solid, both front side markers come on solid, both rear side markers come on solid.

Here's the scenario/behavior that has me scratching my head:

• With the headlights on both front side markers are off (should they be?... seems like all the side markers should be on solid with the headlights on) unless the turn signals are activated then they blink as they should (I'm fine with this as well). To make matters more confusing, while the front side parking lights are off when the headlights are on the rear side markers are on solid, unless the turn indicator is activated and causes them to blink. In this scenario the rear tail lamps are on as they should be, brake light activation is at it should, etc. (again, I'm fine with all of that it's just the side parking lights that aren't consistent).

So basically the front side markers are wired fine for the turn indicators (consistent with the rear side markers, blink with or without headlights on), but act differently as parking lights than the rear side markers when the headlights are on which I don't know if I like. I've traced the EZ wiring and it's doing this because the solid lamp circuit in those front side markers are wired the same as the front round parking lights below the bumper... which is steady on as parking lights, but off with the headlights but blink whenever turn indicator is activated regardless of headlights being on or off.

Therefore I'm debating whether I should change the front side markers to come on with the headlight circuit, but then they would behave different than the rear side markers when just the parking lamps are on (headlamp stem pulled half way out) because the front side markers would be off and the rear side markers would be on. However, I'm leaning that way because I'll have the headlights on more often than just the parking lights.

What are the rest of you doing, how are you wired with the same light setups?

Thanks in advance for your insights/opinions

-Tom
      Well I have a 68 camaro with painless wiring circuit. Mine operates tje same as yours.
      With the headlights off, parking lights and side markers are solid on. With the headlights on, the parking lights and side front markers are off.
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
      Well I have a 68 camaro with painless wiring circuit. Mine operates tje same as yours.
      With the headlights off, parking lights and side markers are solid on. With the headlights on, the parking lights and side front markers are off.
      Thanks for confirming it wasn't just mine that was setup that way ...

That being said, I'm very pleased with changing it over to have the parking lights and side markers staying on with the headlights. Now with the headlights on the front markers blink off with the turn signal indicator, and the side markers have their second element blink while the other element stays on solid with the headlights.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com