Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

71 firebird with 5.3/6L80e where do I begin...

Came across a good deal on a 2012 5.3 6l80e combo with 30k miles. I've never done a swap like this before so I'm a little intimidated. Wanting to be able to keep cruise control and paddle shift options if possible. Anyhow, any tips would be appreciated. Mounts, brackets, accessories, pans... etc.
      1971 Firebird restomod / 09 G8 GT

The cruise control isnt a problem, a few companies make them. I'm running the dakota digital cruise. I have never done a paddle shifter, but I do recall a company that makes them for retro fits. Could have been TCI, but I'm not sure on that. I wouldn't let it scare you, especially if you got a good deal. Just realize there are other costs involved other than the motor/trans. Fuel tank, fuel system, driveshaft shortened and possibly a different yoke for that 6 speed flange, oil pan, engine mounts, trans cross member, possible tunnel mods to fit the 6 speed, headers, harness re-work or custom harness, ECM programming/tuning, DBW pedal mount/bracket, front accessory drive from truck might be tight in a camaro. I'm probably leaving out a few things. I've done close to 10 LS swaps, but I havent done a second gen yet. Some of the things I mentioned above may be slightly different for your 71. If I can help in any way, PM me. Scott

I am also doing a vintage air setup as well as some g8 seats. Yah I know the fuel system will need an update. I plan to turbo the car as well but I think I'm just going to get it running stock first then go from there. I don't want the car in pieces for a year.

I think what I'm intimidated the most about is making sure the computer gets all the signals it needs for everything to work properly especially that 6L80e trans, I know they can be a pain to get the tune right in their original vehicle I'm sure it will be worse in an old one. Will I need to get brake, wheel speed, mph, or other signals to the ecm?

Maybe I am just looking into this too much this early in the build.

Plan to get the trans pan and shifter (or at least the tap button and the trans module) from the car in your signature photo. The pan is for ground clearance, and the shifter is for wanting to not shift automatically. When you get the computer reprogrammed to remove VATS, you can change wheel diameter, top speed, and so forth. As for the turbo, keep in mind that you've got a DOD engine, which means that you'll have to start by changing lifters, possibly valley cover, and front cover/cam sensor stuff. I've been working around the same combo (2011 in my Falcon) for the past year, and just finally got my reworked harness/computer back from a guy on eBay (coolmike222) . . .

Just Google LS swap, or search the same on eBay, and you'll find all kinds of goodies.

I'd check with Speartech. The harness I got from them has provisions for cruise and they do offer a tap up/tap down shifter, so I'd imagine paddle shifters shouldn't be too difficult. I had a different harness from another manufacturer which was nothing but headaches. The Speartech harness worked right the first time every time. The G8 seats are awesome, but don't tilt forward, so that might be an issue if you put anyone in the back.

If you go with a new harness, the hardest part is laying it out neatly wherever you want it to go. It's all labeled and easy to understand. You'll have it rough wired and running in no time. If you redo the harness that the motor and trans came from, it'll be more time consuming.

If you do get the motor/trans, don't forget to get the ECM, TCM and pedal. You'll have to decide what you want to do about fuel and cooling fan(s). I used Holley mounts and would use them again. First time around I used their headers, but switched to manifolds due to an issue.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      Plan to get the trans pan and shifter (or at least the tap button and the trans module) from the car in your signature photo. The pan is for ground clearance, and the shifter is for wanting to not shift automatically. When you get the computer reprogrammed to remove VATS, you can change wheel diameter, top speed, and so forth. As for the turbo, keep in mind that you've got a DOD engine, which means that you'll have to start by changing lifters, possibly valley cover, and front cover/cam sensor stuff. I've been working around the same combo (2011 in my Falcon) for the past year, and just finally got my reworked harness/computer back from a guy on eBay (coolmike222) . . .

Just Google LS swap, or search the same on eBay, and you'll find all kinds of goodies.
      Yah from my research so far I figured I'd have to get a g8 trans pan. And when I boost it I'll do a cam swap and eliminate the failure prone DOD stuff. There is a local guy who doesn't some of the best g8 and late model gm tuning in the world, so he will be doing a full custom tune on my car most likely one it's modded.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
      I'd check with Speartech. The harness I got from them has provisions for cruise and they do offer a tap up/tap down shifter, so I'd imagine paddle shifters shouldn't be too difficult. I had a different harness from another manufacturer which was nothing but headaches. The Speartech harness worked right the first time every time. The G8 seats are awesome, but don't tilt forward, so that might be an issue if you put anyone in the back.

If you go with a new harness, the hardest part is laying it out neatly wherever you want it to go. It's all labeled and easy to understand. You'll have it rough wired and running in no time. If you redo the harness that the motor and trans came from, it'll be more time consuming.

If you do get the motor/trans, don't forget to get the ECM, TCM and pedal. You'll have to decide what you want to do about fuel and cooling fan(s). I used Holley mounts and would use them again. First time around I used their headers, but switched to manifolds due to an issue.
      I plan to use the original harness and modify it to fit. That plan may change but we will see, I'm ballin on a budget here! Good call on the pedals, I forgot about the drive by wire stuff.

Definitely look at the Holley swap components. They have every thing to do the swap and it's all very well engineered. They don't make a 6L80 specific trans mount, but you can modify one of their other mounts to work. Also be ready to completely rebuild your transmission tunnel. The 6L80 is a monster.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I plan to use the Holley swap components, I was going to contact them about it to get their opinion on the trans mount. I've seen where some people said they had to cut their trans tunnel and others said it cleared without cutting. The one guy who's cleared used brp hot rod mounts I believe.

I'd be shocked if the BRP mounts give you good drive line angles.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Well I just read an update on that topic and he wishes he would have cut the trans tunnel and raised the combo up a few inches.

Here is a pic of my car.

A little update, that 5.3 / 6L80 combo turned out to have a cracked transmission housing so I continued my search. Last Friday I picked this up, a complete G8 setup! I got the harness, computer, all accessories, but am still intimidated by the harness so I think I'm going to buy a pre made one.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com