Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4th Gen (1993-2004) Firebird Trans AM power bucket seats ?

Hi,

I have a 1968 GTO and I am looking to replace the stock buckets with a more comfortable full power (with lumbar) bucket seat system.

I was going to go with the 04-06 GTO power bucket seats but they sit to high from the floor. I noticed that the 4th gen Firebird Trams AM seats are more low profile even with the power motor underneath the seat.

Are all the Firebird Trans AM 4th gen power seats (1993-2002) exactly the same look wise and power function wise ?

Attached Images Attached Images  

I am pretty sure they are the same function wise. I know the 2000---2002 had ebony black and the earlier had more of a deep graphite color. If you are recovering obviously wouldn't matter. New covers can be had through Hawks Third Gen. I helped a friend get a set of these into a 69 Firebird. Looked good and comfortable. Wish I had pics, he sold the car a couple years later. Anyway, hope this helps and that is a beautiful GTO!!

Country Flag: United States
      I have them in my 68 camaro and like them a lot, mine are manual with power lumbar. I think all of the them function the same way and there are minor appearance differences between the years but essentially are the same.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Yes they are all fairly similar. I've owned a 93, 96 and 2001 trans am's and have 01 trans am seats in my 73 now. 2000 to 2001 have the ebony color which I think is the best out of the bunch. Not a fan of the dark gray graphite in the earlier years.
      1973 Firebird 466 Pontiac, T56, C5 Brakes, PTFB and Hotchkis suspension
      2011 Camaro SS Supercharged, ZL1 body and brakes, Z28 suspension.

Not sure if they're any lower than GTO seats, but I like my G8 seats in my daily driver. I've had 3 different 4th gens and never liked the seats. This is pretty subjective and they might be perfect for you.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
      Not sure if they're any lower than GTO seats, but I like my G8 seats in my daily driver. I've had 3 different 4th gens and never liked the seats. This is pretty subjective and they might be perfect for you.
      Yea ... The G8 seats look to be the same height as the 04-06 GTO seats ... I really love the 04-06 GTO seats but I'm afraid of the head room factor ... I have a 4-way stock power seat in my GTO (very uncomfortable) now and when I raise the back of the seat up the way I like it my head rubs slightly against the headliner and I'm only 5'9".

This may not help in your case but in my G-body (80 Malibu) I have 4th gen buckets but prefer the manual version, as the power seat track from a G-body will bolt on and make installation a breeze. They do sit lower than GTO seats (especially the passenger side).

I'm actually looking for a set of reproduction factory style saddle/tan seat covers, but have not been able to find them.
      88 Monte SS
      80 Malibu
      GM G-bodies: Because I can't afford a 69 Camaro

The one issue I can see with the G8 is that being from a 4 door, it may not have a dump forward feature to access the rear seat.

I'm a fan of the Trans Am seats. I liked them in my 98 Trans Am as I was daily driving it, so now I'm going to put a set in my 71 Firebird. I lucked out and found a nice set of ebony seats at the Del Mar Goodguys for $150. They seem to fit my floor well, with only minor clearancing needed for the motor. By minor, I mean a BFH could suffice, but I'll cut and weld it.

Differences? I believe 97-02 had the nicer, smaller headrest that I prefer (IMO). This span also saw little differences in the switches on the side, but the basic seats were the same. This same seat was actually in the later 3rd gen Trans Ams.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

You're correct on the G8 seat not having a tilt for back seat access.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Thanks for all the info guys ... After some exhausting research I did a about face and decided to go with the 2004-2006 GTO seats ... Just purchased a pair ... I just kept hearing how great they are ... I will keep my fingers crossed on the head room issue ... Thanks again !

Name:  seats.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  226.9 KB

Any update on how the GTO seats were installed. I have a set to put in my Chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by mckemy442 View Post
      Any update on how the GTO seats were installed. I have a set to put in my Chevelle.
      Still waiting on delivery of the seats ... Will update when installed !

Off topic kind of but I originally planned to put 4th gen seats in my 71 firebird but came across a killer deal on some g8 seats so I am going to do my best to make them work. The fact that they are heated really is appealing to me. I am going to cut the tracks down and do my best to get them as low as possible. We will see how it goes.
      1971 Firebird restomod / 09 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Cape TA View Post
      Off topic kind of but I originally planned to put 4th gen seats in my 71 firebird but came across a killer deal on some g8 seats so I am going to do my best to make them work. The fact that they are heated really is appealing to me. I am going to cut the tracks down and do my best to get them as low as possible. We will see how it goes.
      I think the GTO and G8 seats are similar ... The GTO seats are not heated, I wonder if you could take the heating component of a G8 seat and incorporate it into the GTO seats ... Interesting thought !

Quote Originally Posted by Cape TA View Post
      You're okay with no rear seat access?
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

install in progress !

Name:  04-06 GTO Seat Install.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  99.9 KB

Seats in ... I would say these seats are the same height as the stock buckets ... I am going to have them recovered to make them look as close to stock as possible ... Might even add heat and massage (ha) !

Name:  04-06 GTO Seat Install 3.jpg
Views: 2973
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  04-06 GTO Seat Install 2.jpg
Views: 2732
Size:  85.6 KB

They look great in there!
      88 Monte SS
      80 Malibu
      GM G-bodies: Because I can't afford a 69 Camaro

I have a pair of the trans am seats in black leather I am selling. They sit WAY lower than the GTO seats which are incredibly high. If you are six feet tall or over it will be a problem.

Project complete ... 2006 GTO 8 Way Power Bucket Seats with Lumbar and added Heat Unit recovered in the correct black vinyl and stock pattern added to my 1968 GTO !

Name:  IMG_0229.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  462.8 KB

Name:  EVE_0028.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  252.4 KB

Name:  EVE_0019a.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  224.4 KB

Name:  EVE_0029.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  205.8 KB