Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

UMI's 1972 Pontiac LeMans, Restoration and Pro-Touring Build

Hello Everyone,

This is our thread for the restoration and pro-touring build on our 1972 Pontiac LeMans.

We debated for months whether to restore this car or to purchase and restore a more popular model such as a GTO or Chevelle. This LeMans has been with the UMI team for a long time and has been used to design and test fit a lot of the UMI a-body products we now offer. Because of the cars history with UMI and the fact that is has served to help us build some great products we felt it deserved a full make-over. Our plans are to use LS power and have it accelerate, handle and stop well with Made In USA quality.

We hope to have the project completed sometime late in 2013, thanks for following along!

Our first series of pictures shows the car before:

Attached Images Attached Images        
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

The dismantling has started.

Once the body is off we can begin working on the frame in our fabrication shop while our body guy goes to work on the body. So far it looks like we will be needing at least one fender and rear lower quarters on the body.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 10930
Size:  200.8 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 10793
Size:  171.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 10801
Size:  173.4 KB
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Country Flag: United States
      Looking forward to the progress. Also looking forward to running your Stuff on my car!

1970 Chevelle Pro-Touring Project
      Plans- 6.0L H/C (TT later), T56, UMI suspension, Kore3 C6 Z06 brakes, and lots more....

Any plans for the frame? Is the convertible lemans frame different as that is what I have.

I will definitly be following this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis RR View Post
      Any plans for the frame? Is the convertible lemans frame different as that is what I have.

Honestly I am not a 100% sure if the convertible frame has more bracing or not, I am sure someone can answer this pretty quick though.

To answer your other question, we will be grinding out all the factory welds and re-welding the frame. We will also be boxing in the frame in areas and possibly modifying the rear frame rails for wider rear tires. After the frame is complete it will be painted with a full UMI suspension installed. We will be posting and sharing pictures of all the progress for this as well.

We have made more progress on the LeMans. All the body mounts are removed and we used a 4-post lift to lift the body off the frame, the body will then go on the rotisserie. We will now begin stripping the frame and preparing it for paint.
      Last edited by UMI Performance; 03-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Body is off and being placed on the rotisserie. The rear bumper gave Buck all kinds of trouble and refuses to come off... so for now he left it on there and cut holes in it to place the rotisserie. (See 1st image) It needed a new rear bumper anyhow.
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Here is just a few pictures to show some rust areas we are dealing with.

Also we had to cut the trunk to get to the bumper bolts and attach the rotisserie. When cutting we quickly learned how weak the trunk is, it looked good from the inside but we learned the old owner must have placed a layer putty on it and then sprayed it with a import style dash paint to cover up the thin rusted trunk. We need to reinforce this area before getting it up on the rotisserie.

Frame is being dismantled now and I will be posting those pictures soon.

Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Keep it Poncho powered!
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Subscribed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis RR View Post

Frame is different in the way its boxed to add strength to make up for lack of a roof. The transmission cross member is different as a result. Suspension mounting points are the same so other then the cross member everything else is plug and play.
      Eric

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill

70 LeMans Sport Convertible. Mildly built 1978 W72 400 aka T/A 6.6, Eddlebrock RPM intake, Demon 750 Factory Munci 3 Speed with Hurst, Factory Safety Track (Posi).

Great post. Will there be more updates on the monte carlo?
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Excellent! It would be great if you guys would come out and play at some of the Pro-Touring events along with the GG auto-x's.
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Novaguy73 View Post
      Keep it Poncho powered!
      We debated over this for a long time but decided to go with LS1 and T56.... Pontiac Firebirds and Transam had the LS in 98-02... does that still count as Pontiac powered? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dorion View Post
      Great post. Will there be more updates on the monte carlo?
      Rick, Thanks for following! We will be working more on the Monte Carlo over the next few weeks... we will be updating that thread shortly. Thanks for watching them both.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
      Excellent! It would be great if you guys would come out and play at some of the Pro-Touring events along with the GG auto-x's.
      Tom
      Hey Tom, That is the plan! We hope by late 2013 or 2014 to see you guys on the track. We will be at Good Guys Columbus this year, car probably won't be finished though.
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

We have started dismantling the frame and preparing it for paint. We have some welding and grinding to do, one small hole to fix and some reinforcing while we are at it. We will be grinding out all the factory welds and re-welding it with UMI quality.

The car does have the original motor and transmission, a 2-bolt Pontiac 350 and a TH350 trans. The motor and heads were redone, motor was bored .030 over, it ran pretty decent.. it will be replaced with some LS power.

Here are a few pictures of the chassis and drivetrain before taken it down to a bare frame. I will be posting more pictures shortly of the dismantling.

Last edited by UMI Performance; 01-25-2013 at 11:00 AM.
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

[QUOTE=UMI Performance;962440]We debated over this for a long time but decided to go with LS1 and T56.... Pontiac Firebirds and Transam had the LS in 98-02... does that still count as Pontiac powered? lolQUOTE]

Nah not really but I cant say I blame you. It would have a lot more cool factor with the poncho for sure. Like you, Im going back and forth over building a 4.25 stroke 400 block Pontiac with some kauffman D ports and a hydraulic roller.....or do I just stick a damn LS in it? The price isnt too far apart from my rough estimate. To have a good Pontiac built with forged internals and done the right way youre looking at 10-12K. Im pretty sure a guy could do a boneyard LS3 transplant for around that and stick that new self learning fuel rail mounted LS fuel injection setup on it and be done??
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Your better off with the LSx. I was going to build a 462 blown pontiac. By the time I would have built the motor the way it would be set up to handle the power, and still be reliable it would have cost me 10k. You can buy a 6.0 LS motor and just beefing it up a little you will have a great power plant with EFI. You dont need an LS3, a LY6 is cheap, a L92 is more expensive but worth it in the end. The big thing is the fuel system, but if you guys are up to it I have drawings for your own legit EFI stainless tank.

Frame is being stripped.

Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Frame is stripped and we are grinding at it this morning. We will take some pictures of the problem areas early next week.

All the interior and glass is out of the body. We will be taking pictures of that soon as well.

My picture quality has been poor so I sent in Lance (our web admin) to do the frame pictures and his pictures look a lot better. I will try to keep him doing as many of the photos as possible.

Here is the frame as it sat Friday, ready for some grinding today. We left one set of a-arms on for a new product we are working on

These are the UMI a-arms that have been used on the car for years.

Last edited by UMI Performance; 03-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Rear end was a factory posi, drum brakes and 2.73 gears.

Our options are to:

1. Rebuild this rear end with Moser axles, differential, gears and disc brakes.
      2. Locate a factory GM 12-Bolt and do the same as option 1.
      3. A direct bolt in Moser assembly.

Obviously the differences are cost.

Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

I'm anxious to see what you guys do with this. I convince my friend to use your parts for his '68 Chevelle, which is sitting in the same state right now...I'll make sure you guys get pics once the frame is blasted with the full suspension mounted.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
      Rear end was a factory posi, drum brakes and 2.73 gears.

Our options are to:

1. Rebuild this rear end with Moser axles, differential, gears and disc brakes.
      2. Locate a factory GM 12-Bolt and do the same as option 1.
      3. A direct bolt in Moser assembly.

Obviously the differences are cost.

Ryan, those are pretty weak rears from my understanding. There is a guy I know of in Erie that builds 8.5 for the price of what you would pay for the diff and axles. I know 12 bolt housings are getting high in price and an 8.5 would be just as strong with those same options. Just a thought....
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com