Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Leaf Spring Advice- First Gen Camaro

Hi All,
      I have a 67 Camaro with the full Hotchkis kit. 2" drop springs in the front, 1.5 drop in the rear. After i set the car down initially a couple of years ago when I installed everything, the rear was too high. I ended up throwing some 1" drop blocks in there to correct it and make the stance right. At this point, i need to pull the rear end apart for some other upgrades/changes, and i want to replace the leaf springs with 3" drop so that i don't have to run spacers to get the ride height correct. So, here's my question. Is there any advantage to the Detroit Speed leafs over the Hotchkis? My first inclination is to go with Hotchkis since everything else is from them, however, i can't seem to find a set that doesn't include hangers, u-bolts, and other stuff i don't need. They are also $490 vs DSE's $385, probably due to the extra parts i don't need.
      So, $100 obviously isn't a huge deal on a project of this scope. Should i just stick to Hotchkis for the springs to match everything else, or are the DSE springs better? Anybody have any experience with both?

Thanks in advance,
      BK

Whichever you choose, I'd say chase down a spherical spring eye and adjustable shocks to get the most performance from your leaf spring. Pro-Touring F-Body is another option you should consider since they specialize in performance leaf spring suspension.

Most vendors will sell you individual components from kits even though they are not advertised...give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
      Most vendors will sell you individual components from kits even though they are not advertised...give them a call.
      This.

Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Global West also offers springs with no bushings.

Global West also offers a front/rear spherical spring eye kit with Del A Lum frame bushing. This would probably make the rear of your car settle slightly more due to it sitting on a bind-free bearing instead of bushings.

Part 115sh from GW

Pro-Touring F-Body also a bolt-in leaf spring slider kit that gets rid of the standard shackles and will lower the car.

You could also get your springs de-arched if they are working OK for you. Look for spring companies that do truck springs.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      If you like the rate, can you reverse the spring eye to get the drop you want?
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Hotchkis also offers a heavier rate spring with more drop and a front spherical bearing. With the Fox tuned shocks it rides surprisingly well.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Did you ever pull the Hotchkis Rear leaf springs off the car?
      Do you have them available for sale?

thanks
      Scott

Dse vs hotchkis rear leafs

currently running hotchkis 3" drop rear leaf in vert 68 - advertised 150-180 rate with tuned fox shocks and is excellent on a controlled surface, road coarse, strip and canyon carving
      Real world daily driver duty: train track crossing, intersection dips at posted speed limits, with or without a full tank of fuel WILL bottom out.
      Not an issue if you are expecting it and really like the look as a trade off to the bottom outs ratio but can jar your fillings loose from time to time.
      Am currently looking to upgrade to pillow bump stops to soften the blow and replace rear shackles +1.5" (roughly .5" height gain) car looks a bit low at times in the rear although it measures exactly the same at all four corners (just a preference not to gain any measurabe amout of travel)
      Contemplating swapping out to DSE 2" drop 175 rate spring pack.......any trades out there?Name:  2.15.18.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  20.7 KB

Check out the Cat 5 Leafs from Global west.
      I have the 2" drop ones on my firebird.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Moparcolt, sharp looking bird, can you provide any details on the wheel and tire sizes. Great stance, Excellent color choice and a beautiful car overall.

Tim john---

Before you do anything, loosen up the rear shackle bolts and bounce the back of car a little. Make sure your shackles are not bound up...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com