Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Sandhills Open Road Challenge Race - I got in!

I am pretty excited to have received my green card letting me know that my application was accepted for the SORC - Sandhills Open Road Challenge race in August of 2017. It will be my first open road race. Yes, I will be in the slow class - 80 mph - trying to learn the art of driving to a target speed. My son will be navigating. I hope he can do math while navigating a windy road at 100 mph (he is an engineer at Toyota). I assume he is qualified.

I am pretty excited.

Is anyone else here going to be in Arnold, NE for the race?

Quote Originally Posted by cornfedbill View Post
      I am pretty excited to have received my green card letting me know that my application was accepted for the SORC - Sandhills Open Road Challenge race in August of 2017. It will be my first open road race. Yes, I will be in the slow class - 80 mph - trying to learn the art of driving to a target speed. My son will be navigating. I hope he can do math while navigating a windy road at 100 mph (he is an engineer at Toyota). I assume he is qualified.

I am pretty excited.

Is anyone else here going to be in Arnold, NE for the race?
      I attended it twice. It's a really fun event, take it all in and participate in all of the activities associated with it. I would highly recommend that you pre-run the road as many times as possible, there's a few gotcha corners, and mark way points to use as reference for your timing.

Make sure your cooling system is working 100%. It can get very hot there at that time of year.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

This will be my first time running there in 2017 as well. Very excited to give it a shot. Wish I could do the Loup2Loup but being a one man shop leaves it hard to shut down for a week. I'm giving the 90mph class a shot for my first go round.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Make sure your cooling system is working 100%. It can get very hot there at that time of year.
      Thanks for the tip. I'll double check everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 69CapriceHDTP View Post
      This will be my first time running there in 2017 as well. Very excited to give it a shot. Wish I could do the Loup2Loup but being a one man shop leaves it hard to shut down for a week. I'm giving the 90mph class a shot for my first go round.
      Awesome! I hope to see you there.

Had a blast at the Sandhills Open Road Challenge

My son and I had a blast at the Sandhills Open Road Challenge. We did not go near as fast as 69CapriceHDTP, who ran 149 in the half mile compared to our 116. He had a bigger turbo and three times the displacement.

We plan to return next year to redeem ourselves from a mathematical error that kept us off the podium in the 90 mph class.

We ran my son's tuned HHR SS. It stood out in a crowd of Camaros and Corvettes, but handled much better than anyone expected. We were able to run all but two corners at 90 mph. I was really pleased with the handling. It is stock except for a 1" rear sway bar and a Stage 1+ tune.

Returning for 2018

Andrew and I are very excited to be back. I wish we were going to drive my Nova. Due to poor progress the Scope Creep Nova is still on jack stands.

We'll be back in the HHR. It tends to stand out in the crowd of Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs. Based on last year's performance, we have bumped up to the 105 mph class. We have decided to try the Loup 2 Loup race also. As this is a new race for us, we chose the 80 mph class.

Name:  Car_number_101_SORC_L2L_2018.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  416.7 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com