Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

JAKEFAB project 1965 F100 "Rangoon Red" for now

The time has come to start a project that I have been dreaming about since I was a little kid... Why is that? Because this truck has been in the family since I can remember, and it goes beyond that! This 1965 Ford F-100 was owned by my Grandfather when he worked for Walco way back when I was around 5 or 6 years old. I remember riding down the long driveway to the mailbox with my grandpa as he drove this truck. As luck would have it, I got the truck as my very first vehicle around 1992 or so... I drove the truck all through High School, and dated my lovely wife, and went to many dances and would later marry her. We have been together since! As we approach our 20 year anniversary, I decided it was time to dig the truck out of hibernation and start a project.

The truck had a rough life. I took extremely good care of it while I drove it throughout High School, but as I entered the Marines, the truck was put back into service on the farm. It was neglected, ran hard, abused, and ultimately parked as the brakes stopped working. I removed the truck from our family farm a few years back, and it sat at work in the back lot since.

BUILD DIRECTION (Caution! Could change at any time. : ) )

CV Frame, front suspension from 2004 Crown Vic. 14" Willwood calipers, custom brackets
      Rear stock 8.8, Strange Floater kit, stock upgraded watts link. 12.19" Wilwood disks
      18x9 TSW Nürburgring rims with 275/40r18 firechicken 500 tires
      A mix of Accuair (Controller/tank) and ridetech (Front shockwaves, rear bags)
      Ford Racing Aluminator 5.0 coyote
      Procharger D1 with intercooler
      A/C
      Nice Stereo

Today I went and did a quick look over of the truck.

I will keep all the project pictures on the Jakefab website here: https://jakefab.com/pages/project-f100

On to the pictures!

Just go ahead and fill this in with bondo!

I remember hitting a rail road track crossing in High School, and this patch of bondo fell out of the truck.

Looking at the inner fender wells, I like how they look. I will try to retain them.

Farm fix.

Nice!

Floor has some uhhhh... Rust!

Pulled the dip stick, oil looks great!! And it's full!!!

I plan to drive the truck home, "Roadkill" style, just because. It's a 30 mile drive from where the truck sits, but I want to drive it.

Great story and truck! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I like that body style. Look forward to seeing your build. Hey, a reliable truck can still visit the track once in a while!

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

I did some fast renderings of the truck.

Full up,

ride/rake

And full down

I plan to use an Accuair setup on it.

I also picked up a new set of welders as Lincoln was having great rebates for the end of the year! I have a ZT Fab cart coming for these that I will post the build on as well when it gets in.

Last edited by redmist; 01-07-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Country Flag: Australia
      Very cool that you are saving it. Agree that it is a great body style. Will definitely be worth the effort.
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

I got the bottom half of the project.

SUPER clean California P-71 detective car. I will only be using the frame and suspension, the engine and trans will go.

Drove it around for a couple weeks, then busted out the Sawzall!!!

I am slowly formulating a build direction.

I am going to inboard the shocks and upper arms (Possibly all) to gain some room at the frame. Coilovers in the back, and a Watts link based on the factory 9" in the truck.

Engine will be a 9.5 Comp Aluminator 5.0 with a D1 Procharger.
      T-56 Magnum 6 speed as well.

Front will be interesting, The room is very little for tires going in, and the width makes it hard to get a wide tire.
      I might be limited to about a 275 on the front, but I think I can get a 305 in the back.

Nice. I'm part way through a crown Vic swap as well. Also that charger is awesome, jealous!

Ok, I think I have found the perfect rim for this build. I am looking at a 63mm offset rim that fits the factory Vic almost perfect.

It's an 18x9 and with a 275/40-R18 tire I should be 1/2 from the closest parts of the suspension at all points, and only .46" wider to the outside.

It will make it so it's a square setup, and that is what I am looking for. I have decided to give the bronze look a try, as the red on the truck should go well with it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Wheels and tires ordered.

I got the rims above, but in Matte gun Metal as I figured the style of the bronze might be short lived. I spent a good chunk on rims, so wen't more budget on the tires for now. Firehawk Indy 500's in 275/40r18

Will post when it comes in.

I think I have decided to keep the 8.8 and build it up instead of a 9" but that could change as I dive into the frame some more.

Country Flag: Germany
      Hmmm, care to elaborate on why not "just" do a frame swap?
      I don't know if the CVs frame would fit under this particular F-series truck but i think you could "just" swap like Hot Rod Garage did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX1mjS7Gjys

1985 Dodge Power Ram W250 3/4t 360/518/241
      2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 505/T56/D60 small upgrades

Because I want more power, bigger brakes, better suspension, larger tires, and longer range. : )

In the end, this should be for the most part an "Ultimate CV Frame swap for F-100's"

Looking at the rear axle, It needs beefed. The front will need custom brackets made for the brakes, but I think I have a combo of hats and rotors that should work on the front CV with the custom brackets. Fronts will be 14" Wilwood, rears will be 12.19" if all goes well with wheel placement.

Honestly this is an exercise in engineering for me, and I enjoy building stuff, or making it better.

Some measurements for the rear to keep the information flowing

Full rest on the Crown Vic (Stock bumpstops) is right at around 7 1/4" from spring pad on axle, to under-shelf retainer on frame.

Max up (as retained by the shock) is 13 1/4" from those same measuring points. This should put ride on an air spring at 10" for center of travel.

With that in mind, I hopped on Ridetechs website and ordered these air springs.

http://www.ridetech.com/components/a...-tapered-rear/

Parts!

Ford Racing 8.8 Trak-Loc, Install kit, 3:55 rear gears, Drake Cover/girdle and a lube locker gasket.
      TSW Rims came in. They are 18x9 Nurburgring wheels. These are Light! I am amazed at how light they are!

Also got the tires. 275/40r18 Firehawk Indy 500's at all 4 corners.

ridetech air springs for the rear.

Mocked into position at full bump. I will have to make some plates for these. I have some ideas to strengthen, and add some aesthetics to the frame and plates!

Now for the awesome part here.

These rims fit PERFECT on the vic setup! I am .75" from the shock body. The 63mm offset puts them about .44" more to the outside from a stock rim.

If you want a bolt on 18x9 rim that takes up the maximum amount of space in the rear of a vic, this is the one.

I am very very happy with these rims so far!

Tire sat in place just to see.

I also ordered some ridetech Q-Series shocks for the rear. At this point, I can pull the rear axle, and start on the cleanup, welding of tubes, and install of the diff components.

I will order a Strange Pro-Touring floater kit here real soon to round out the axles in the rear.

I designed a reinforcement plate in Solidworks for the back of the Crown Vic frame. The stamping is nasty, and I needed a good place to mount the bags.

Stamped frame as it sits.

Plate as it should look installed over the top. The plate is perimeter welded, and will be made out of .120 Steel.

Plate at 70% transparency to give an idea of where things line up. This is just a quick mock up, so not everything is perfect obviously.

This should make things look much better in the back of the truck. It will also make it very easy for the bags to bolt up in place.

Used the Hypertherm Plasma to cut the high portions from the rear of the frame. I used a large socket as a template for the spring guide cutting.

Here are the sections that were cut out. I have the air bag under it to see where else I need to remove material. I modeled up a lower plate to go with the top plate and both are at the shop getting cut on the Plasma table.

ridetech shocks came in!! I got the 8.35" stroke PN: 22199845 for the rears. These are used in GM truck applications, and look to work perfect for the VIC/F-100. At full bump, there is about 1.5" of shaft showing. I figure this is a great spot as I still have some compression for weight of the body and such, and the truck can be dumped without damage to the shock. I will most likely have to use some limit straps for up travel in order to keep the air bags happy.

Or I could go to a lesser travel shock, and move the mounts up. I will wait and see how this all turns out first.

I might go ahead and make some control arms for this build out of 7075-T6. I need either the uppers or the lowers to be adjustable for pinion however.

Playing around in Solidworks and have an idea of how they might be done.

Something like this.

Great story, looking forward to the build!

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

Thanks a lot Glenn!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com