Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

what a difference a cheap set of wheels can make

wanted to bring my 57 up to the 21st century without breaking the bank and get away from the "old retired man riding around listeng to beach boys music" look so i did a simple suspension upgrade with drop spindles and new drop leaf springs and installed 18&20 inch Rev classic wheels.May cut the front down just a tad lower but overall i like it.Its crazy how a cheap set of off he shelf wheels can change the outlook of a car so much,below is a before and after shot of it

P.S. old guys hate it now lowered with big wheels on it lolName:  57 before after.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  182.2 KB

yup a simple set of wheels and a stance can change the whole look.

Glad to see one more timeless classic jump into the 2000's.
      It will delight anybody under the age of 60, it makes it much more relevant even to the young crowd without a license to drive.

The part most of the 'stock is best' mindset keep missing; is the safety issue:
      1-Modern tires are light years ahead in performance of the 15" tires available
      2-The brake systems on the classics are easily outperformed by the beater minivan in front of them that
      just slammed on the brakes.
      (i'm not going to even mention: suspension, shocks, better tech, more reliable parts, etc)

I hate seeing classics getting into wrecks, no matter the cause.
      It makes for a great argument why it's time to update things, plus the car look bitchin!
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

yes sir Dave,when i did the drop spindles i also did new power brakes conversion kit with cross drilled rotors etc,new energy suspension bushings and the new wheels tires. The car drives,handles,stops a million times better now then it did with the stock stuff on it

Two thumbs up! I'd give more, but that's all I've got to offer

Country Flag: New Zealand
      I think it transforms the look of the '57, and brings the look right up to date. I saw your post on Tri-Five.com, and I'm surprised that you weren't swamped by all the "old school" big wheel haters that lurk there. It's not just an age thing as some try to promote, as I'm in my late '60's and I love the larger wheel look (well perhaps not the 28" donk wheels).
      Well done, a good upgrade.
      cheers Russell

My 1957 Pontiac Star Chief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.

My dad wanted 15's on his 56 when he was building it. But, since he had changed the rearend, he needed 4.5" backspacing. The only option other than custom billet wheels was 17" TTO wheels. He griped for a long time about how it wouldn't look the way he wanted, but he's yet to meet anyone that didn't like it.

Name:  56 067.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  404.8 KB

Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com