Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Salinas, CA. 4.5 MI from the Corkscrew @ Laguna Seca

Flush static engine block.

I have pulled the motor from my 68 Camaro to minor engine work and do other things to the engine compartment. When I put it back in the car I am going to install a new aluminum radiator. Griffin says to use a mix of distilled water and antifreeze. My question is, what is the best way to drain/flush the water that is in the block while it is out of the car? It looks kinda dirty. Also, what antifreeze are you using with your aluminum radiator? Any suggestions would grateful. Thanks for your help, TZ

TZmtrsprt,

We recommend choosing the brand coolant you want to use and follow the coolant manufactures instructions. For flushing and filling the system.
      www.RonDavisRadiators.com The Official Radiator of Pro-TouringTM

Country Flag: United States

a better thought

Go to Evanscooling.com try their non-aqueous propylene glycol coolant and flush block with their flush. Think about it use a coolant with no pressure boiling point of 375 deg, and no corrosion due to af/water mix. And much better cooling overall.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Evans runs hotter than regular coolant, and much hotter than water with corrosion inhibitors. It runs hotter because it has a much lower heat transfer capability, and is thicker. Every anti freeze on the market has the same or better corrosion protection.
      I've done some research on it. and would recommend against it.

Quote Originally Posted by krom View Post
      Evans runs hotter than regular coolant, and much hotter than water with corrosion inhibitors. It runs hotter because it has a much lower heat transfer capability, and is thicker. Every anti freeze on the market has the same or better corrosion protection.
      I've done some research on it. and would recommend against it.

X2
      Why would you want a higher boiling point than normal antifreeze and a say 15psi cap? Id much rather have this boil over and it be very apparent if you arent paying attention to the temp gauge and shut it down at that point than keep running it with your fancy coolant and make the cylinder walls and pistons become one with each other.

Im sorry but these coolants are nothing but a "band aid" fix for a insufficent, damaged, etc cooling system.

Knock the freeze plugs out of it and get after it with a pressure washer?

When we used to race (30 years ago) we would cool down our cars by eventually taking the goose neck at the top of the motor loose and then the bottom radiator hose off. We then would put a water hose in the goose neck (there was nothing in the way) and just turned the water on and let it run. It not only cooled down the motor, but flushed it out too. Then do the radiator the same way, although I would let the radiator fill up then take the lower radiator hose off and let it drain. I'm not sure but I think if you just let water run in the top with the lower hose off, it would not go into the entire radiator.
      There, clear as mud!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com