Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Speedo and Tach for SBC and later an LS3?

I'd like to upgrade the gauges in my '69 camaro, but I'm planning an LS motor and T56 swap in the next year or so. Are there any options for a speedometer and tach that I'll be able to use with my original 350/TH350 as well as an LS+T56? I'd rather not buy gauges twice if I can help it.

Country Flag: United States
      Any tach should work I'd think but a GPS unit is the only way I know offhand to make the speedo part easy.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Country Flag: Canada
      Yup ... go GPS, everything else will work

Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

You can get a regular auto meter electronic speedo as long as you also get the converter that will convert your cable to electronic. It's just a pulse generating box that connects to the transmission instead of a cable.
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

Thanks! I need to decide what gauges to go with too. I was planning to go with the DSE dash and Autometer gauges, but now I'm digging the Dakota Digital analog gauges. They keep the old school look.

If it were me, and this is just my opinion. If funds allow, go with the GPS speedo from Autometer. I had a a cable driven speedo in my '68 Camaro with a 4 speed. I changed to a T-56 and had to change the speedo because the T-56 is sensor driven. I had to sell the cable driven unit to the sensor driven. If you buy the cable driven unit, and change the trans, you'll have to do the same thing I did. You will take a loss on the cable driven speedo just because it's "used". If you buy the GPS unit, while it is a little pricier in the long run, it will be cheaper than buying two units and it will work with both transmissions. Besides, I think you'll like all the options it has. Again, just my opinion.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com