Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      I like it! On that note, I'd do everything possible to avoid moving the engine forward, especially since you've already cut out the floor and firewall. That said, Audi seems to do okay with front-biased engine placement . . .

Country Flag: United States
      Awesome build! I thought of this combo ever since I saw the G-framed yellow Corvair. Happy to see it brought to life.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Country Flag: Canada
      I took advantage of the decent weather we had to work on engine placement. I moved a bit forward, 3/8" to the right and set it for 3 degrees tilt back

Name:  IMG_2491.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2493.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  109.5 KB

I also began to plan the placement of pedals and the brake master cylinder. The Corvair location of the master won't work at all due to the master positioned on the right of the steering column. Comparing it to a location in a first gen Camaro, the master is placed on the left of the steering column providing necessary clearance between it and the engine. I will be using a first gen Camaro firewall and floor pan to complete my conversion.

Corvair:

Name:  IMG_2489m.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  85.2 KB

Camaro:

Name:  IMG_2494m.jpg
Views: 2454
Size:  74.6 KB

I am currently on a hunt for a 68 Camaro pedal bracket to confirm few ideas I have on pedals. The brake pedal will have to be offset such as this one:

Name:  W-597_800.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  11.0 KB
      Matt
      1967 Corvair - Project Sanity

I just get things done instead of talking about getting them done. I don't go out and party. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs and I'm not married, that leaves a lot of time for my work - Henry Rollins

Now this is an interesting build.I have seen people put small blocks in both the front and also the rear of these cars.Back in the day.But most of the time they have built their own frames. You are going to surprise a lot of people.Good luck on your build.

Time for another update. Based on my preliminary research - it looks like it will fit, I decided to get a pre-fabbed firewall and floor pan for a 67 Camaro. Cost of raw materials and time required to fabricate a completely new firewall and floor pan would easily exceed the investment of getting these components already fabricated and modifying them to fit my application.
      I began with a rough fitment of the firewall. I drilled out the spot welds that held the frame mounts that came with the firewall and slightly trimmed the top of the panel

Name:  IMG_2506.jpg
Views: 4741
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2503.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2509.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2513.jpg
Views: 5250
Size:  89.9 KB

Time for the floor pan

Name:  IMG_2514.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2518.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2519.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2517.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2516.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  71.0 KB

The fitment actually surprised me. Everything fit much better that expected. I will need to drop the entire firewall and floor pan by two inches, but there are few things that need to happen first:

- remove the factory g body transmission cross member
      - box the frame rails
      - fabricate a new cross member
      - figure out exhaust routing
      - sandblast the entire car
      - fabricate inner rocker panel and outside rocker panel extensions
      - install the firewall and floor pan
      - Figure out steering column and pedal location and mounting

This is an action plan for the next year.
      Matt

I just get things done instead of talking about getting them done. I don't go out and party. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs and I'm not married, that leaves a lot of time for my work - Henry Rollins

Wow, that worked out surprisingly well!

So How has the project been? Im planing on doing the same build and im wondering if its worth it in the end for all the work

Not much happened this year. Life got in the way. All I managed to do was sandblast the body. It's really your call if you want to attempt this, the value of a project such as this is highly subjective. For me it is building something unique, testing my skills and learning new ones.
      Matt

I hear you there when you get it on the road I'd like to know how the safety went I'm from Ontario too and everyone I know keeps saying I won't be able to safety it but I don't think that's the case but I'm gunna do the exact same thing you are I bought a 68 corvair in really good shape I'm not too sure how the floor is but I'm doing what you did that's for sure

Back from the dead...I am hoping for some progress this year.

Got the firewall mock up in place. Next, more mock up of the engine and transmission to locate firewall and floor.

Name:  IMG_3573_1.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  101.2 KB
      Matt

Cool build, my neighbor is doing a similar build.

More work took place tonight

Name:  IMG_3574.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3575.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  65.6 KB

How much space do you guys run between the back of the engine and the firewall ? I am currently at 3" and wondering if I can push my engine back a bit...
      Matt

Nice Build, did you decide against the firewall from the camaro?
      Eddie

The transmission and engine should be stationary. So in theory you can get it as close as you want as long as you don't rub and can fit any tools/accessories you need in the appropriate places. I've seen some custom jobs with very small clearances to the firewall.
      1965 Buick Skylark Sport Coupe V8, Two Door Hardtop - Project
      2014 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4Matic - Daily

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
      Nice Build, did you decide against the firewall from the camaro?
      I decided to do a hybrid, top section of the firewall will be smooth, bottom will be the camaro
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by skylark guy View Post
      The transmission and engine should be stationary. So in theory you can get it as close as you want as long as you don't rub and can fit any tools/accessories you need in the appropriate places. I've seen some custom jobs with very small clearances to the firewall.
      Great, I will do some measurements and mockup. I want to make sure I have access to the bell housing bolts for clutch or any other service
      Matt

Some progress has been made, frame box in plates have been fabricated and welded in. I roughly got the floor where it needs to be. Next on the list fabricating inner rocker panels.

Name:  15C30259-6F03-4DE4-A5C8-C9BDF881F022.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  1CBE816B-7F52-459D-B6EB-85CA12C9686B.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3741.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  89.6 KB
      Matt

Any updates?

very cool....in for the updates!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Subscribing to this!!!! Looking forward to the finished product

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com