Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Race Gauges (Racepak,autometer, etc)

I've been looking around and want a digital dashboard. I looked at Racepak and Autometer's LCD competition dash. Both i believe don't support a speedometer unless upgraded with a GPS unit. Not fancying a large bulge on the roof of whatever I build I'm looking for other options. Any and all help is appreciated.

If you have an LS, or anything OBDII compatible, you can just use a tablet with the Torque app, or something like it. I've found pretty good functionality with my $40.00 tablet from eBay--Torque Pro was another five bucks . . .

You don't have to put anything on the roof. They have GPS antennae as small as 1 1/2" square to about 2" square and you can either put it on the dash near a corner or in the rear window in/near a corner or get a window mount antenna and place it near the top of the windshield behind the mirror. The receiver only needs to receive 3 satellite signals and with the number of satellites there are you should not have a problem of receiving at least 3 signals unless you are in a lonnnnnng tunnel. You'll probably receive at least 3 signals even in a multilevel parking structure.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by 4Elatemodel View Post
      I've been looking around and want a digital dashboard. I looked at Racepak and Autometer's LCD competition dash. Both i believe don't support a speedometer unless upgraded with a GPS unit. Not fancying a large bulge on the roof of whatever I build I'm looking for other options. Any and all help is appreciated.
      Just FYI, a GPS speedo antenna does not require a "large bulge on the roof" as you say. The Autometer GPS antenna is just slightly larger than a postage stamp and has a magnetic back. My Autometer GPS antenna is stuck on the dash panel directly in front the driver and just ahead of the dash pad where it has a good view of the sky. The GPS antenna is virtually invisible unless I point it out to someone. I have been extremely pleased with the way the GPS speedo works. Occasionally you will loose GPS lock if you drive down a tree covered road and when driving through a tunnel. Otherwise, it is absolutely accurate and operates completely independent of gearing.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!