Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Steel recess for Le Mans filler cap?

I have a genuine ENOTS Le Mans fuel filler caps that I've been saving just for this build.

Before I venture off into my own territory making one from scratch, is this a common enough mod that companies out there sell pre-fabricated steel recesses for welding in in different styles for different size/shape filler caps?

The pic below is similar to the look I'm going for......

Also, how are you guys doing the safety wire on these when you go road racing? I see nothing to keep the lid from vibrating loose of the filler neck and no provisions for safety wire.

Thanks!

http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Did you end up finding an off the shelf solution for this recessed piece? I am in the exact same situation and don't want to go down the fabrication route if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I have a genuine ENOTS Le Mans fuel filler caps that I've been saving just for this build.

Before I venture off into my own territory making one from scratch, is this a common enough mod that companies out there sell pre-fabricated steel recesses for welding in in different styles for different size/shape filler caps?

The pic below is similar to the look I'm going for......

Also, how are you guys doing the safety wire on these when you go road racing? I see nothing to keep the lid from vibrating loose of the filler neck and no provisions for safety wire.

Thanks!

Nope. I ended up selling the cap and not going that route. Just too much $$$ to have had it fabbed. Would have been sick tho.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Thanks for the response. I'll probably find another location to put it.

I've decided to revisit this because I just love the fuel cap so much. Since my car's theme is inspried by vintage Trans Am race cars, I've decided to put it right in the middle of the trunk lid.

I'm going to be installing a fuel cell in place of the stock tank and simply running a filler neck up through the floor of the trunk and up to the trunk lid. I'll cut a hold in the trunk lid and I plan on trying to make some sort of rubber seal to go around it. That way when the trunk is closed, it isn't wide open to dust getting into the trunk around the filler. Under that and flush with the inside of the trunk lid (using that rubber seal I make to seal it) will be the usual large metal cone around the 2" filler and a little drain nipple for spills that I'll route under the car.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com