Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Toe in measurment from "stringing" or Quick Trick?

Doing the '97 Chevy truck front end toe. I have a Quick Trick tool and also used the old "String method" string parallel on both rear tire bulges carried to front end and measure front of front tire and rear of front tire. Quick Trick gives me 3/16" more toe in! Which is better?
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Are you sure that the outside width of your rear wheels is exactly the same as your front? Are you sure that your string is not hitting the body before it hits the front tire? I also use (pink!) string, so these are factors I've come across that might make old-school plate-and-tape type alignments provide slightly different measurements (also includes squareness, which you can't get from only focusing on the front) . . .

It's good to try it both ways!

Can't use the tire bulges to line up the string, they vary. Use a small rule and measure from the string to the rim. Be sure to use the same rim section on all measurements.

Bob.

String is bright yellow so pretty visible. Truck normal height so no body in the way. Same wheels/tires all around. I'll try again measuring off rim vs tire bulge, but I was consistent in the same bulge area. Quick Trick also goes off bulge at the bottom but I set them the same height off the ground.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Country Flag: United States
      To set up a string line, find the center of the car (Truck), front and rear, run a string line down the center, front to rear. Measure out from that line to each side of the car, front and rear to set your side string lines. It's best if the strings are held by conduit attached to the car, so if you have to relieve pressure on the front upper A arms with a jack to adjust camber/caster, you won't mess up your strings. Measure off the rims, but you have to adjust your numbers to equal a "normal" reading taken at the tread.

67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Country Flag: United States

Double garbage bags work pretty good too. I'd love to find some used toe plates though.
      Been using tall water jugs(cat litter jugs) at each end for string ties. They are about 1/3-1/2 up the tire depending in how tall it is.
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com