Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

MOMO Steering Wheel Mount in '69 Camaro

I really need to get a smaller diameter wheel in the car, especially once I upgrade to Quick Steering. I made a bunch of cardboard mock-ups cut diameter to 350mm(13.78") and 360mm(14.1") and I also made one smaller... like 13.5". Im thinking the best size for me would be the 360mm and I want to use a wheel that has the upper spokes slanted a little down so as to give me the best view of the dash. I can also get by with the 350mm as there's a whole lot more of those to choose from.

Anyway, one mounting question I have is whether a wheel that's countersunk can be fitted with a matching raised bezel as shown in the pictures below.

Obviously, the six (6) button head screws _should_ locate and secure the wheel just fine, but I was curious as to whether anyone else has done this? I just want a little bling on the wheel, and of course if I can use a "SS" horn button I'd rather do that too. Please note that this car is basically a cruiser, regardless of what it looks like LOL. No intentions of auto crossing or anything that resembles track use.

I also notice that on eBay you can find hubs at usually two price points, around $50 for the Big Dog chevy-specific type and around $85 for the MOMO brand. Any comments on these?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

100 views, no comments?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Country Flag: Canada
      I don't see why not ....
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I have the raised bezel that came with the Momo wheel. So it will work, just make sure that you use long enough screws.

As for steering hubs, I'd stick with Momo stuff. Steering/suspension parts are something you want to skimp on.

Just my $0.02
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      I have the raised bezel that came with the Momo wheel. So it will work, just make sure that you use long enough screws.

As for steering hubs, I'd stick with Momo stuff. Steering/suspension parts are something you want to skimp on.

Just my $0.02
      Tu... Thanks for the reply. I went to your build thread to check out the Firebird... but the pictures don't show. Which MOMO wheel did you use and what size... 350mm or 365mm? If you can post a picture that'd be great. If the wheel is a 350mm does it feel right from a size point of view? I know its only a 5/8" OD difference, but when you don't have them side by side, I guess you rely on what people say LOL. Thanks.

Mike

I relocated the links in my build thread; so most of the pictures are gone.

I have Momo Race wheel on mine, it's approx 13.5" in diameter. It appears Momo has discontinued that particular model.

Here's a picture of the wheel in the car.

Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

The momo hubs are collapsible, the other brands are generally just solid chunks of metal or whatever. If you have shoulder belts and a collapsible steering column it might not be a consideration, but if you have an aftermarket column and lap belts only it probably should be. Height is also a difference, some non-momos are about 1/2 as thick and could work better for dished wheels.Name:  26098964754_58565da530_z.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  91.5 KB
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

The wheel I bought is a Vintage D36, its 14.125" OD, its in pretty good shape. Couple of depressions from whatever, but overall, stitching is perfect, no leather coming loose, no scratches. I have no problem buying the MOMO hub, what I'm looking for is a chrome or billet 6-bolt trim ring and a SS horn button that will fit inside the trim ring and work.

All I've found so far is a brushed billet setup with an engraved "SS" I would like something like this for the button:

Name:  MOMO-SS-00.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  519.8 KB

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Love to have that black button in blue, but I know thats never going to happen LOL.

Mike
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Got all the parts for the swap except for the MOMO hub to adapt to a '69 Camaro, and as a backup... I got an Ididit horn wire. Both could be here Friday or Monday. Picked up a wheel puller kit at HF, hope to get started next week. Wound up buying a couple of different rings, buttons, and innards and was able to piece together the SS look I wanted.

Name:  MySSMOMO-00_zpstw8b75av.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  437.4 KB

I just put on my Steering wheel yesterday, MOMO JET 350MM LEATHER- JET35BK0B
      Looks FANTASTIC! and feels great!
      I've already spent a few $$s on sub frame and suspension, what's a few bucks more for a steering wheel that allows you to enjoy it.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I got the MOMO D36 installed a couple weeks back, I've driven it twice with the crummy weather we've had up here in Western Mass LOL. Anyway, the new wheel is incredible. I'm so glad I got this one, its perfect for me.

I used a real MOMO kit, upgraded the directional canceling cam, so easy to install, it was a piece of cake. My next project will be to populate the replacement dash panel with a 6-gauge cluster. Not so authentic, but from an aesthetic and drivability point of view, a big improvement on the stock stuff. I photoshopped a set of New Vision gauges in it but I haven't pulled the trigger. Still debating about NVU or Dakota Digital, but DD doesn't have a decent selection of "universal" gauges.

I was trying to visualize how to deal with all the accessory lights (directionals, emergency brake, ignition, high beams, etc.). I'll ask questions in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      I got the MOMO D36 installed a couple weeks back, I've driven it twice with the crummy weather we've had up here in Western Mass LOL. Anyway, the new wheel is incredible. I'm so glad I got this one, its perfect for me.

I used a real MOMO kit, upgraded the directional canceling cam, so easy to install, it was a piece of cake. My next project will be to populate the replacement dash panel with a 6-gauge cluster. Not so authentic, but from an aesthetic and drivability point of view, a big improvement on the stock stuff. I photoshopped a set of New Vision gauges in it but I haven't pulled the trigger. Still debating about NVU or Dakota Digital, but DD doesn't have a decent selection of "universal" gauges.

I was trying to visualize how to deal with all the accessory lights (directionals, emergency brake, ignition, high beams, etc.). I'll ask questions in another thread.
      Check SpeedHut too... You can make custom gauges there if you want.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Great thread. thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

What dash is that? Detroit speed?

Quote Originally Posted by glr0212 View Post
      Great thread. thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

What dash is that? Detroit speed?
      Thanks... I'll update as progress is made. The dash insert is from Classic Dash.

Mike

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com