• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      Quietly following along.

Guess im oddball out with different forum name from S-series lol

Country Flag: United States
      The old s-series forum is coming out of the woodwork.. lol
      Love this build, was hoping for an update.

Country Flag: Canada
      This thing is looking great. I had a 91 S10 blazer that I should have finished but never did.
      Looking forward to seeing progress

Sorry for the lack of updates. There have been a few minor things, but nothing picture worthy.
      I'm to the point where the body and new frame are needing to be in the same place and I have zero room to bring the body on the original rolling chassis home.

What I do have is a very talented brother in law in Iowa with a newly completed big shop willing to help.
      This coming spring the truck will be relocating and progress will resume.
      I will very likely be spending many 3 day weekends in IA.

Fabrication to look forward to in no particular order:

Floor cut out of cab / body drop. Original plan was to have the rocker just above the bottom edge of the frame. Might bring it up a bit.
      8" of engine setback / firewall rework.
      Engine and transmission mounts, transmission cross member, d/s loop and torque arm front pivoting mount.
      Full-(ish) cage.
      Front wheels widened to 10" (Send out to Weldcraft, they did the rears already.) 275's or 285's on the front.
      Body mounts.
      Additional frame section behind axle for body mounting and fuel cell.
      Seriously considering flaring the fenders front and rear, all steel.
      Millerbuilt C7 full floater kit and axles once axle housing width is determined.

Name:  d1fedb418ad38417dd6e68de95acbba6199155d71e44a2cb0ecd6008760301d3.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  44.9 KB
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

I've got a thing for the 1st gen S10 blazers, I like where your taking yours, during the first build of mine, (project Frankenstine) I grafted in an S pick up front frame section to help get the truck where I wanted it to sit. wishing now that I'd bit the bullet at that time to just do the whole thing, that being said, the truck is a riot and any new mods I do are aimed at getting best bang for the buck and keeping down time to a minimum. (ok, I can ramble a bit myself)

I see your Nighthawk S is as skilled a photobomber as mine, I't seems to find it's way into photos without trying...

Joe

Joe/Motoracer,
      I can relate to the "thing" with 1st-gen S-trucks, I've had my share.
      I'm definitely following along on your build of Frankenstine. It's been a while since I've seen anyone going after the tall frame issue on the Blazers.
      I'd always hated looking at these trucks in profile and seeing that massive frame hanging down below the rocker. Mine is using a donor S10 pickup front stub as well.
      The bikes...uggh. Those two are my kids bikes, and I currently have two more of my own vying for storage/project space. The Nighthawk is going away in the spring as is one of mine so I'll be down to a manageable 2 bikes in the garage.

Hey Rich,

Checking in to see if you've gotten to work on the project?
      *Jeff*

Hey Jeff and all following along, it's been a while.
      This very weekend the truck is headed out again, but it won't be for 10 years this time.

My brother in law is coming up from IA and we're both heading back down to his newly completed shop with the truck.
      He is much better suited in both talent and space to finish up the remaining fab work than I could ever hope to be.
      Refer back to post #45 for the major highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by SonomaZ View Post
      Hey Jeff and all following along, it's been a while.
      This very weekend the truck is headed out again, but it won't be for 10 years this time.

My brother in law is coming up from IA and we're both heading back down to his newly completed shop with the truck.
      He is much better suited in both talent and space to finish up the remaining fab work than I could ever hope to be.
      Refer back to post #45 for the major highlights.
      *Jeff*

That's a great list, definitely looking forward to seeing the updates!
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

As of Memorial weekend, the truck now resides at my BIL Dave's place, from here on referred to as Somewhere In Iowa Fabrication.
      It was either give the place a name, or refer to it as "Dave's big-ass shed in the middle of nowhere."

We essentially hauled down what amounted to a vehicle and a half in a relatively small trailer.
      I can now refer to it as just "the truck" instead of the roller and the new chassis.
      The body has been separated from the original rolling frame. The only thing we kept was the Monte SS steering box. Probably replace that with a Turn One box later.
      The roller has been sold off to a guy to use as the foundation for his next Hobby Stock build.

I just got back from dropping off a small pile of suspension parts that didn't make the original trip down. While I was down there we busted out the air chisel and sawzall and did some cutting on the rear floor and wheelwells and also did some general brainstorming / decision making.
      We might have had a few beers as well.

There has actually been some reverse scope creep going on. I suppose you just call that scaling back to reality due to minimal benefit from maximum effort.
      The 8" engine setback was first to go. We've determined 4" is the max we can go without a wholesale revamping of firewall, dash and HVAC. So 4" it is.

The change I'm actually happy about is that we're determined to fit a 10" rim with a 285 tire on the front without flaring the fenders.
      Keeping the body looking stock-ish will go a long way to upping the wow factor when people realize just how much rubber is under there.

Picture dump to follow a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by SonomaZ View Post
      I can now refer to it as just "the truck" instead of the roller and the new chassis.
      The body has been separated from the original rolling frame. The only thing we kept was the Monte SS steering box. Probably replace that with a Turn One box later.
      I just "blew up" a project I started 11 years ago and had been stagnant since. (88 Fiero/Northstar 5 speed, now LS4 5 speed.) Now I want to work on it...

I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee box on my Blazer, (I see a Turn one box in my future.) if the SS box is as light as the Jeep box, you probably won't like it, way overboosted...

Joe

I had run the MonteSS box on this truck (with the original V6, pre-teardown) and on a previous S10 pickup.
      I found it to be a BIG improvement in feel and quickness than the standard box, but yes, somewhat overboosted.

Body separating from original roller chassis

Name:  20180610_162503.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  128.2 KB
      Buh-bye original frame.
      C-channel, leaf springs, torsional rigidity of an over-cooked noodle, 4x4 driveline angles and clearances in a 2WD truck, you will not be missed.

As low as it would go on new chassis without cutting

Name:  20180617_191839.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  170.3 KB
      MAYBE if it was a 4x4. Otherwise, no way!
      Compare to later picture after cutting floor and shifter hole.

Rear floor and wheel housings

Name:  20180617_191941.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  166.1 KB
      Don't get used to this view, it will change.

pile-o-parts

Name:  IMG_20180623_094220.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  101.5 KB
      AFCO double adjustables and 200#/in. rear springs.

Background:
      Ooohhh...'69 Mach1, 351 Cleveland 4-spd. Seen as many miles at Road America as it has on the street. A little rough but an original survivor.
      Might post some more pics of "what's in Dave's garage" later.
      Teaser: There's a numbers matching '67 Chevelle big-block convert getting paint in the body shop side.

Rear suspension

Name:  IMG_20180623_115903.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  196.5 KB
      Note that the axle ends are bare, no ends.
      An expensive order from Millerbuilt is in my near future.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com