Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1968 RS/SS Convertible Camaro

New to the Forum - Hoping to get some information...Recently my Father has lost his fully restored 1968 Camaro in the Floods in Louisiana. He began the restoration back in 1980 when we hauled the frame and pieces of the body out of a field on a trailer to his garage...He would spend the next 20 years restoring it (ground-up) until last week when Louisiana was devastated with Flood waters. Unfortunately like most folks, there was not enough time to react to the rising waters and the car and his house was inundated with 8.5ft of water.

As you can imagine he is completely distraught from losing so much but especially this Camaro that he has owned for the past 36 years. Obviously he had insurance but if they total the car, the Insurance company, will likely try and take it so I am prepared to buy it back from the insurance company. My plan is to start over. I unfortunately am not as skilled as my father with restoration work but letting this car go is not an option. Which brings me to the big question. Can anyone provide me with a ball-park figure of what the resto cost would be? Keep in mind its an older restoration but the car was all original with the exception of engine (350ci), wheels and tires and the electric antenna. I realize all wiring needs to be pulled as well as carpet, interior, etc. The Car will need some body work due to the flood waters actually pushing the car damaging the right-rear quarter panel and the hood which was damaged by a floating cabinet. I do know the original body work and paint was done back in the early 90's so there will be some body work needed. Not sure about the engine, tranny and rear-end yet as I'm thinking more horse power...Either a stroker engine or possibly an LS engine. Obviously the suspension and brakes will need replacing. Honestly im not sure if I should roll back with the original version or go with a resto mod. For the sack of trying to place a cost to it, any information would be appreciated. Thanks