Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Carbon Fiber or Fiber Glass ?

Car is a 1971 RS Camaro.
      For people who have carbon fiber panels on their cars, apart from Anvil because they aren't available at the moment for this particular car from what I know, what companies have you bought from? Classic Industries have some, as do Ultra-Carbon which are quite cheap but they don't have a big range. Any other brands?

How has fitment been? How is the quality?

I have a budget, but money aside, should I just go fiber glass for the front panels? Are they strong or do they need re-enforcing? eg: inner fender supports (not sure the technical name)
      Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      Which panels from Classic Industries are you referring to? If you mean the carbon fiber panels, I thought they were Anvil pieces?

Is there a rush? I knew Anvil had to make mine, so I ordered my Formula hood early in the build, and got it about 6 months later, which I was fine with... since I knew going into it. But it was definitely worth the wait for me, as the quality and fit is excellent. I need to get some pics uploaded and posted to my build thread. But I'd do their hood for the 2nd gen Camaro as I like their power bulge design. Actually that's the only design I like for the 2nd gen Camaro, never was a fan of the 69 cowl hood with the ridge on the 2nd gens.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Not sure if he's still at it, but Albert Melchoir of Carbon Kustoms made panels as well.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

I will have to do some more investigating re: Classic Industries. If they are Anvil then great, but whether they are in stock...
      I'm not in any rush at the moment. I'm trying to find out as much as I can. It's a big expense
      CampbellshotrodsAZ, What do you think of the stinger hood for the 69 Camaro just for interests sakes?

cpd004, Thanks, google says the Carbon Kustoms website has Malware but I have just looked at their facebook page so I will give them an email

Anyone for Ultra-Carbon?

Quote Originally Posted by camaros down under View Post
      I will have to do some more investigating re: Classic Industries. If they are Anvil then great, but whether they are in stock...
      I'm not in any rush at the moment. I'm trying to find out as much as I can. It's a big expense
      CampbellshotrodsAZ, What do you think of the stinger hood for the 69 Camaro just for interests sakes?

cpd004, Thanks, google says the Carbon Kustoms website has Malware but I have just looked at their facebook page so I will give them an email

Anyone for Ultra-Carbon?
      We'll be happy to help out... Our Camaro offerings are limited, however we have started to put together one of my older rides to showcase what we're doing...
      Our effort accommodates a 315 upfront and we're working on the inner fenders to accommodate the changes made to originals... The hood features a small but tasteful cowl that creates a styling edge that follows the hoods existing lines and separates it from other hoods already available on the market....

Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

I like the Carbon Kustoms hood better than the Anvil, it looks better, and is lighter.

Thanks for the replies.
      I wanted to wait for more input before I responded.
      The Carbon Kustoms hood does look pretty good. I'm guessing it allows air to flow through (functional) like a cowl hood.
      I will email them and will most probably place an order.
      So, Tim, are the other front panels on your Camaro carbon too? Do they all fit correctly if they are from two different companies?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaros down under View Post
      Thanks for the replies.
      I wanted to wait for more input before I responded.
      The Carbon Kustoms hood does look pretty good. I'm guessing it allows air to flow through (functional) like a cowl hood.
      I will email them and will most probably place an order.
      So, Tim, are the other front panels on your Camaro carbon too? Do they all fit correctly if they are from two different companies?
      Thanks
      The nose is Anvil, the fit is less than stellar. I also have the Anvil deck lid and filler panel above the deck lid, those don't fit great either. I had the Anvil hood prior to the Carbon Kustoms hood and it also fit poorly. The Carbon Kustoms hood fit much better, the cowl is solid but you could cut slots at the back but would also have to cut the inside of the hood to make it function like a factory cowl induction.

Okay wow, that comment threw a spanner in the works.
      How do you make a carbon fibre panel fit? You can't just weld on a bit along an edge.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com