Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Here is a video that was good enough for my co-driver to lock down 2nd place in class yesterday.

You can see that the locker does not induce understeer in any corner. In fact about the only time you can even tell there is a locker in the car is at 54 seconds and 1:00...that noise is the locker unlocking...

You can not feel the locker engage at any time and only when it has some bind on it and it releases does it make that "Pop" which is really more noise than anything else, it does not upset the car.

Overall, I'm a fan of having it in my car and can deal with the little annoyances that come with it because corner off grip has NEVER been as good as it is now with this Ron Sutton Optimized Eaton Soft locker in my car.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Lance,

That was a great run. You even thought so given the "fist pump" in the end!!!

The locker in my Cougar is brutal. It acts very similar to what is described in post #19.

From what I gather, my locker came directly from Hollman Moody back in the early 70s and probably has a ridiculous spring in it...

For what I do with the Cougar, it's fine, but the noises it makes are scary at times.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That wasn't me actually, that was my co-driver Jeremy...but yes it was a great run, thanks.

That was his last run of the day and it jumped him from 5th place to 2nd place beating 3rd by 1 one-thousands of a second. 64.186 to 64.187 How crazy is that!

My best time of the day happened on my first run and we didn't get the camera started in time for it.
      Lance

Trutrac is not a true locker. It is a gear driven "torque splitter" With different traction on the two rear tires, one tire may spin while the other does not turn at all, so it is not ideal for slippery situations. It may be ideal for a clean dry road / track.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Lance,

That was a great run. You even thought so given the "fist pump" in the end!!!

The locker in my Cougar is brutal. It acts very similar to what is described in post #19.

From what I gather, my locker came directly from Hollman Moody back in the early 70s and probably has a ridiculous spring in it...

For what I do with the Cougar, it's fine, but the noises it makes are scary at times.

Andrew

Hey Andrew !

Even though you don't mind your locker's current performance, it would work better with softer springs. If you're running 10" slicks or bigger on road courses, I'd drop it down to 55# springs.

If you're on smaller slicks or TW 200 tires ... or autocrossing on any tires ... I'd suggest the 40# springs. These are the key to these lockers working well in what we do.

Take care !

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Good stuff there Ron. How hard is it to replace those springs?

Andrew

It's not hard, but it is a bit of work.

You have to remove the locker & ring gear assembly ... remove the ring gear & disassemble the locker. Then simply replace the springs & put it back together.

I strongly suggest anyone doing this check your ring gear back lash & bearing preload BEFORE you take it apart ... so you can put it back to the same backlash & bearing preload.

The new Ron Sutton tuned Detroit locker works very well in the wet too...

Here is my co-driver Jeremy in the afternoon session at the CAM Invitational at Lincoln Last Saturday setting a 4th quickest time in class (only .001 seconds behind Robbie Unser in 3rd).

This was our quickest time of the weekend, me on my 3rd run Sunday morning.

Overall I'm a huge fan of the new locker, it let us put the power down smooth and fast even with the inside rear tire about 6" in the air some of the time...

Lance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com