7 20.59%
    • Big brake kit, 12" front-11" rear

14 41.18%
    • 12" Front and drum rear

13 38.24%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States

disc vs drum

The reason big trucks run drum brakes is because of control ability or the ability to feather the break on a drum brake also drum brakes are much easier to control by air vs. Disc brakes controlled by air and the ability to maintain drum brake systems is infinitely cheaper which makes it more economical.
      On a performance car properly set up disc drum WILL suffice as long as you keep the self adjuster setup AND understand that to keep drum brakes adjusted when you back up you MUST hold pedal when dropping trans from reverse to drive. This allows the system to maintain proper adjustment. Most people tend to release the brake as they shift to drive. But then also in heavy equipment brakes demand much different dynamics. In a car, the 2500-4500 lb "bullet" is moving fast and requires a compact, efficient brake system that can reject heat fast and decelerate the car quickly. Many heavy pieces of equipment rarely require deceleration from 100+ mph in short distance. And heavy equipment simply CANT from physics point of view be decelerated quickly. It MUST slow don't at a lower rate or in certain loads they will become unstable or even have retention devices fail catastrophically. Not the OP car disc drum might suffice, but if GM look at S10 rear disc. If Ford look at Explorer rear disc.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Chevy/GMC trucks have gone back and forth with rear discs and drums since the late 90's...probably no real advantage between the two in that application. I like discs simply from the ease of maintenance standpoint.

When I bought my Camaro in 1980, it had its original power drum brakes which were rather scary and definitely inadequate. A few months later I swapped disc brakes from a 74 Nova onto the front. This was a night and day difference and one of the most satisfying mods I have done to the car. Fast forward to the early 90's when I put a Cadillac rear disc setup on the car. They look much cooler but I didn't gain much, if any braking performance during normal to spirited driving. They shed water better in wet weather and hold up better under sustained abuse, which my car rarely gets to the point of needing added braking performance. For everyday driving, the front disc/rear drums worked just fine.
      67 Camaro, 96 LT1, 4L60E

For a budget build I would retain the rear drums but for a different reason that most have given you. I assume most are not running the BOP style rear end.

If it is the original rear end, it more than likely is a BOP style 8.2-inch differential with bolt in axles and bearing retainers at the axle ends. This means that simply bolting on new backing plates and hanging the calipers will not work in most cases. Whatever disc kit or conversion you are looking at needs to work with the bearing retainers or replace them to keep the axle end play within spec. As always there are exceptions as a few skylarks came with factory installed GM differentials (C-clip style). Just make sure you know which style you have.

Again, assuming it is still the original rear end - if you want rear discs in the future, I would suggest building up a 10 or 12-bolt with the GM C-clip style differential. It will be stronger and have better availability of parts than the BOP 8.2.

1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

The OP hasn't logged in since 7/25/16 a week after starting this thread, probably made a decision.

Drums tend to lock up and are much more difficult to modulate with any accuracy. U will be much happier with disc, the car will be worth more, and the resale will be better, and u will be less likely to crash it. Buy some used Camaro rear LS1 brakes on ebay. And get good high performance modern sticky tires.
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

If you can go to a bank and and get $1,000.00 out right now and buy any thing and not touch your budget , this thread is not for you . Change the compound of the shoes and go to the junk yard and get the front disc brakes and hardware . Get new pads and discs , unless they can be turned . Write down the parts and car you get the stuff from , and put it in your owners manual .

800 Amp Time Attack Thunderbird

Bird resurrected this thread from the dead, but I'll add my two cents for googlers. I converted my galaxie from non-power 4 wheel drums to hydroboost scare bird front discs and stock rear drums and it stops very very well. No problems at all for 20k miles. Best upgrade I did to the car. Rear discs, IMO, are easier to work on, but they should mainly be done for aesthetics only unless you are heavily road racing.
      67 Ford Galaxie
      5.0 coyote engine, 2650 supercharger, T56 magnum, 9" truetrac
      68 Camaro RS vert
      LS3/T56 magnum, 9 inch, Ridetech F/R, Baer brakes
      74 BMW 2002 Tii

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com