Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Serpentine conversion question

I recently pulled off a serpentine system of a 1989 camaro to put on my 68. I ordered the smog delete pulley, it's the same smooth one that come with the gm kit. The problem I ran into is that the mounting hole is threaded and the bolt I have has a shoulder and goes all the way through and bolts to the head. The shoulder won't fit through the pulley bracket. I tried just using two bolts but it needs to be to long to fit into the bracket. I was thinking about drilling out the threads and just not having fore and aft resistance. Hopefully my pictures help. Its the long bolt in the middle of my pictures and the top bolt of the of the idler pulley in the assembled system.

Thanks,
      Joe
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Drill out the threads, and cut a piece of pipe to fit tightly between the 2 brackets.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Good idea. Thanks

I am in the process of doing the same conversion and am waiting for the smog delete pulley to be delivered. Can I ask which belt you are using ? I bought a Dayco yesterday but turns out to be too short and the part number from the GM kit I believe is 10186167. From your picture yours looks to be a GM part.

Country Flag: Canada
      Here's an idea.
      Change your tension pulley from flat to a grooved pulley.
      Rather than run your belt under the pulley run it over the top of the tensioner pulley.
      Adjust your belt length to put the tensioner pulley in the correct position.
      This would eliminate the big delete pulley as well as the idler pulley under it.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by blainemeyer View Post
      I am in the process of doing the same conversion and am waiting for the smog delete pulley to be delivered. Can I ask which belt you are using ? I bought a Dayco yesterday but turns out to be too short and the part number from the GM kit I believe is 10186167. From your picture yours looks to be a GM part.
      I haven't bought a belt yet, I was just going to get the one gm suggested. The bottom picture is one I stole off google images. If I find the right one I will let you know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      Here's an idea.
      Change your tension pulley from flat to a grooved pulley.
      Rather than run your belt under the pulley run it over the top of the tensioner pulley.
      Adjust your belt length to put the tensioner pulley in the correct position.
      This would eliminate the big delete pulley as well as the idler pulley under it.

Ken
      That sounds like a good, but I already have both pulleys and I plan to add ac in the next year.

I ran that setup without the smog pump delete pulley. Just use the 968k6 belt listed in this web link. It worked fine without any issues.

http://www.thirdgen.org/serpentine/
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I ran that setup without the smog pump delete pulley. Just use the 968k6 belt listed in this web link. It worked fine without any issues.

http://www.thirdgen.org/serpentine/
      Do you know if that was a 97 or 98 inch belt

No reason to remove the smog idler if you already have it. I run that one and looks like belt 5060968
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      No reason to remove the smog idler if you already have it. I run that one and looks like belt 5060968
      Yes, but it would be nice to return it and get $50 back

I was able to get the GM belt numbers off your picture, 6pk2470 88986814, which looks to be a Dayco 5060970 which is 97.05 inches long. I just got my smog delete pulley and the one I got already has the spacers built in and the hole have no threads. The second picture shows it mounted in the larger pulley bracket. I got mine from EBay and the part number is 10186167. Here is a link to a similar one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Accessor...xXjbs3&vxp=mtr. Hope this helps and its not too little too late.

Name:  DSCN1873.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  163.3 KB

I was able to get the GM belt numbers off your picture, 6pk2470 88986814, which looks to be a Dayco 5060970 which is 97.05 inches long. I just got my smog delete pulley and the one I got already has the spacers built in and the hole have no threads. The second picture shows it mounted in the larger pulley bracket. I got mine from EBay and the part number is 10186167. Here is a link to a similar one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Accessor...xXjbs3&vxp=mtr. Hope this helps and its not too little too late.

Name:  DSCN1873.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  163.3 KB
      Nice find, thanks

I wanted everyone to know that using the Dayco 5060970 97.05in belt along with the 4-1/2 in pulley that came with my smog delete bracket, the belt is too short. I just ordered a small 3in idler pulley like the in the picture at the beginning of this thread that I hope will resolve my problem.

Why not just get a longer belt?
      Scott from NJ.

Could have done that but how do you know what length belt to get ?

How much longer do you need? Dayco site has a way to look up by length.

http://www.daycoproducts.com/online-...=98&num_ribs=6
      Scott from NJ.

Not sure why the GM kit supplies the bracket for smog pumps and then wants you to run a smog pump pulley. If you go the the junk yard you can grab the passenger side bracket for the air conditioner off of a heavy truck and it won't have the extra mount area for a smog pump. I've had luck with the extended cap trucks as the GVW has to be above a certain amount to not use smog pumps.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      Not sure why the GM kit supplies the bracket for smog pumps and then wants you to run a smog pump pulley. If you go the the junk yard you can grab the passenger side bracket for the air conditioner off of a heavy truck and it won't have the extra mount area for a smog pump. I've had luck with the extended cap trucks as the GVW has to be above a certain amount to not use smog pumps.

Agreed! I too don't use the smog pump provision brackets either-they look hideous. I prefer the keep a smooth RH bracket look. Not sure if you guys have the room but I also run an adapter kit to use a GM 140A alternator as seen on this truck...
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

I wanted everyone to know that using the Dayco 5060970 97.05in belt along with the 4-1/2 in pulley that came with my smog delete bracket, the belt is too short. I just ordered a small 3in idler pulley like the in the picture at the beginning of this thread that I hope will resolve my problem.
      Smaller 3in idler pulley worked with the 97.05 belt.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com