Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Tire/wheel fitment between quarter and frame

Currently on my 67 Skylark I have 18x8 w/ 245/45 in the front along with 18x9.5 w/ 274/45 rear. The rear wheels are a -4 offset right now. I don't road course this car but I do beat on it any occasion I get with most driving being cruising around the lakes.

My front tires rub on turns so I plan on taking off the stainless trim and rolling the fenders.

In the rear I have issues with my tires rubbing on hard turns or on beveled (best way to describe it) entryways/ driveways. Currently my tires in the rear have between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch between the quarter and the tire itself. The previous owner cut out the inner panel to make the tires fit. There is almost exactly 2 inches between the tire and the frame/inside tub of the wheel well.

That being said. I'm in the process of getting a 9" that may very well be exactly 2 inches narrower than my current rear end which would leave my current wheel application with 1" inside and outside of the rear tires. Which will be good for now, but the plan is to get wider tires and wheels. Do you guys think I will be able to run an 11" wide wheel with a 305 on it once I get the slightly narrowed rear end? My current NT555 are just shy of 11" wide at 10.94 and the 305 (Nt555R) would be right about 12.13 inches wide. I'd end up getting a 0 offset wheel, and going essentially 1.2 inches wider. This would end up giving me, if all calculations are correct, about 3/8" on either side of the tire. Potentially 5/16 on the inside and 7/16 on the outside because of my current -4 offset changing to a 0. I do also plan on raising the rear up about an inch, it its too low for my liking and is flat, not raked like I would prefer.

If not I'll end up having to notch the frame and if I get to that point I might as well plan on not driving my car for 5 years. . . . and well I don't want to do that.

Here are a couple pictures to see current fitment
      Name:  IMG_20150709_185036877.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  261.4 KBName:  FB_IMG_1468514707793.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  113.1 KB

Bueller?

There are too many variables to know for sure. The best way to find out is take measurements after you install the new rearend. Then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with. If you really wanted to check the tire size before then you can order a 305 and throw it up in the wheel well to see if it has room to fit.

Like I had posted on V8Buick I guess this isn't so much about MY wheel and tire sizing more of what EVERYONE else has for clearance between their wheel and quarter/frame.

Over there I was recommended 1/2" on both inside and outside which if I were to run a 10.5" wheel with the 305 to make it a little narrower, or else step down to a 285 which wouldn't be that wide of a tire once I get my engine build done but that might just have to be it.

Unless I can flare out the quarters a little bit and run a different offset to push the wheels out and run a wider tire.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com