Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 1960 Falcon

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by neongreen View Post
      I like this! Good to see another roundbody falcon here. What powerplant are you thinking?
      90% sure I'm going with a 5.0 TiVct and 6-speed. They're readily available from salvage yards as a complete take-out assembly. My alternative choice would be a 3.5 Ecoboost, but adapting a manual transmission is expensive and the engine would require substantially more fabrication to install. So the cheaper and easier choice would be the more powerful Coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
      90% sure I'm going with a 5.0 TiVct and 6-speed. They're readily available from salvage yards as a complete take-out assembly. My alternative choice would be a 3.5 Ecoboost, but adapting a manual transmission is expensive and the engine would require substantially more fabrication to install. So the cheaper and easier choice would be the more powerful Coyote.
      That's a wide engine. With the MII suspension, you'll be taking out the shock towers, but even then will there be enough room?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

He should be fine, that engine has been put in various 60s Fords with IFS.

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      That's a wide engine. With the MII suspension, you'll be taking out the shock towers, but even then will there be enough room?
      It will be tight but the modular engines fit without issue once shock towers are "adjusted". My 3v fit without issue.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Already calculated the dimensions. The frame rails are 33" inside to inside. Stock shock towers and inner fenders are being cut out and new ones will be fabricated. I'm anticipating ample space around the engine as a result But thank you for the advice. I honestly appreciate it.

I'm excited to watch this build come together. Great score on the IRS. I would LOVE to see an ecoboost in your car. We have one in my wife's expedition, and my first thought after we bought it was "this would be freaking awesome in a pt build." I have no idea how much more money and time it would take, but...it would set your car apart. Either way your car will be a fun one to watch, great job so far. I really like the rendering.

Are you considering auto weld chassis for your roll bar/cage? If your going to have one, that is.

Im digging this build! The 3.5 ecoboost would be sweet with a 5 speed. How about some black jdm style bolt on flairs, they would stand out great against the white body.
      1968 F100 sb full vic chassis swap
      1965 Mustang coupe 347 5 spd cheap touring SOLD
      2003 Porsche 996 Outlaw LS2 swap SOLD
      1992 Lexus SC400 daily SOLD
      1966 Porsche 912 Outlaw SOLD
      1968 Ford F-100 sb SOLD

I like the ideas here--we may wind up with very similar round-body Falcons at some point (some of mine is on Lateral G). That's a good thing, in my book. I just need to stop tweaking on my brown beater Ranchero . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MTZ28 View Post
      I'm excited to watch this build come together. Great score on the IRS. I would LOVE to see an ecoboost in your car. We have one in my wife's expedition, and my first thought after we bought it was "this would be freaking awesome in a pt build." I have no idea how much more money and time it would take, but...it would set your car apart. Either way your car will be a fun one to watch, great job so far. I really like the rendering.

Are you considering auto weld chassis for your roll bar/cage? If your going to have one, that is.
      I have my own Pro-Tools tubing bender. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Restomod View Post
      Im digging this build! The 3.5 ecoboost would be sweet with a 5 speed. How about some black jdm style bolt on flairs, they would stand out great against the white body.
      I actually already purchased some. Problem is they are not wide enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Restomod View Post
      My hopes were to have a "plug and play" powerplant. Because I want to compete in sanctioned hill climbs, I liked the idea of forced induction to compensate for altitude changes. However, there is already so much fabrication that needs to take place. Adding an Ecoboost would add to that list, needing custom intake tubes, down pipes, and intercooler. Also, while there will be ample width for the engine, there won't be a lot of depth. Fitting an AC condenser, radiator, and intercooler in front of the engine may be a huge undertaking.

Oh my, this is going to be awesome!

73 Maverick Grabber Project

My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

Christmas in July! Ride Tech rear shocks. Luckily, Ride Tech makes a complete set-up for a 2015 Mustang IRS. When I was trial fitting the front shock on the rear, the rear sway bar links were interfering the the coil springs. Turns out they make a relocation kit to move the sway bar and allow clearance. I was also concerned about the strength of the (aluminum) lower rear control arms to handle a coil-over setup. Huge thanks to Josh at Ride Tech for walking me through it (Josh is actually on this forum with his Fox Mustang) Here are the shocks with the adapter mounts for the 2015 IRS. I'll fabricate the upper mounts. This part will now be easier than anticipated.
      Name:  Rear Shocks.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  68.4 KB
      Last edited by Walther; 07-19-2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo

Looks like a killer project....My vote (if it counts LOL) would be for the Coyote!

Quote Originally Posted by migg400 View Post
      Looks like a killer project....My vote (if it counts LOL) would be for the Coyote!
      Yeah, logic is pushing me in that direction. It seems like upgrading a 3.5 Ecoboost to decent HP levels would be really expensive. If I go with a Coyote, it seems that it's relatively easy to get the HP numbers up over 600 with the addition of a supercharger. The car would be powered by a stock 5.0 for the first 500 or so miles, and I really don't want numbers much higher than 600HP. In my opinion, the car would start breaking stuff and be a bear to drive on a tight hill-climb. I just haven't heard the best reviews on the internals of a Coyote. Pressed-Powder rods and so forth. So I'll follow your build with interest.

This was a (failed) experiment for JDM Style flares. I liked the look, but the dimensions didn't work. I'll eventually attempt making my own steel flares but I'm a long way off from needing to take that step.
      Name:  Fiberglass Flares.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  123.8 KB

I'm now hip-deep into the deconstruction phase. It's amazing how much "fight" 55 year old bolts and screws put up. I've been using more drills and grinders than wrenches. It took me a fricking hour and a half to get the passenger door off. I sweated, cussed, and bled.
      Name:  FB_IMG_1463599975117.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  114.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
      ....I plan to run sanctioned hill climbs with the car (there are several in North Carolina), with the ultimate bucket list of Pikes Peak......
      Dont forget HWY 181 AND 80.

The top of 181 thru the parkway to Blowing rock is one of my favorites!!

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      Dont forget HWY 181 AND 80.

The top of 181 thru the parkway to Blowing rock is one of my favorites!!
      NC-80 south past the parkway is a BLAST!!! We are still not full-time Green Mountain residents. My wife's employer keeps us in Charlotte (actually Fort Mill, SC) but I drive up 3-4 times a month (the car/shop is in Green Mountain) Every trip I bypass 226 in Marion just to take NC-80, but it's in a '14 F150. :( I've never driven 181. Yet.

For the rest of you, NC-80 is one of the curviest roads I've ever driven, and it descends nearly 1000 feet in a few miles. The closest you can come to driving off a cliff.

Looks like the floors have some rust. I'm thinking you may as well mount that Coyote behind the front seats....

J/k! Very neat project.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
      Looks like the floors have some rust. I'm thinking you may as well mount that Coyote behind the front seats....

J/k! Very neat project.
      Yeah, the floors are pretty wasted. Luckily I'm cutting out the floor all the way to the rear bumper.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com