Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

driveshaft angles.

I somewhat understand the concept but I need some help as which way to adjust the height of the transmission[raise or lower]and the rear end {adjustable rear upper arms]. The car is a 66 Lemans conv with BBC TKO600 and Moser Ford 9". It has been lowered at east 3' in front and 1 in back. I cannot raise the rear of the trans any higher. I am using the Tremec cell phone app. I have front to back 3.7 /00.2 /2.5. The app shows red and green numbers only and unless I am reading it wrong it just either a red or green[go /no go]. I changed the crossmember[plenty of shims to raise or lower it. and I just want to know which way to go on the rear end and trans mount.
      Any help will be appreciated.

Do a search for Driveline Angles, there are tons of threads here on this subject that explain the angles far better than I can. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Tremec app. I find it confusing and not particularly helpful in part because my phone has a bump where I need a flat surface. I use an inexpensive digital level that you can buy from any home improvement center or hardware store.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Step by step instructions

I wrote an article on determining your driveline angles. If the TREMEC app doesn't work for you, you can purchase or borrow an angle finder and follow these instructions. https://shiftsst.com/articles/driveline-angles/ It's really important to get the angle right or you could damage your powertrain.

I did a search for a 45 min to an hour. There is all sorts of things, but using the Tremec app I thought would work better. I have one of those cheap guages but I don't think it is so accurate. I check Tremec, spicer, hotrod, and a couple of others before I quit. Tremec was closed when I called them so I will do that today

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Do a search for Driveline Angles, there are tons of threads here on this subject that explain the angles far better than I can. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Tremec app. I find it confusing and not particularly helpful in part because my phone has a bump where I need a flat surface. I use an inexpensive digital level that you can buy from any home improvement center or hardware store.
      I couldn't agree more. I've been working on this the last few days. As much as I want to like the Tremec app, I just don't trust it. I can measure 5 different times with the app and get 5 different angles - whereas if I use my $5 Harbor Freight angle finder it gives me the same exact reading every time.

What angles did you get using your regular gauge for the output, driveshaft, and pinion yoke? Also, was the needle to the left or right of the "zero" mark measuring all of those spots from the drivers side of the car?

I used my harbor freight angle gauge. I don't remember the drive shaft angle but I had 3 1/2 on left side at the pinion yoke u-joint and just a little past 3 on right on the diff yoke u-joints. So they should cancel each other out. I was trying to use the Tremec app to be more percise. I used it when I put the adjustable upper control arms in and had it all green real quick. since I changed the position on the crossmember it was all over the place like CliffsBlueCamaro says.

Sounds like you were in the ball park with the HF gauge - especially if you can't lift the trans any more. I've got my car set up right now with pretty much the exact same numbers front and back as you. I think I'm going to just go with it. From what I understand the 3-degree max is if you want the u-joints to live their maximum life expectancy. Given that our cars usually take longer to rack up miles I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you have driveline vibrations.

Ya, if someone tells you you do not have to cut the tunnel on a 66 Pontiac Lemans to put a TKO600 in does not have the angles set right. The output shaft is a lot lower on the TKO600 than the muncie. I cut the tunnel all the way back to the body brace. My car is lowered and nose down in front which will make a difference but the motor and trans is mounted solid.I had to shim it up probably 1 3/4" to 2 " from the muncie mount. It was 5 plus down before I shimmed it. I have had a BBC in a 66 GTO conv with the stock muncie for 20 plus years that was stock height, and drasticly lowered at one time [bought it in 1968 and put 350/400 thousand miles on it, It is a pile of rust in my back yard now.]

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com