Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Gap between condensor and radiator

I've been working on installing air conditioning in the Chevelle (Power Tour was HOT) and I've run into a snag with the condenser. As part of the LS swap, I am using a 2005 GTO radiator and fan setup. The radiator is set back because I originally planned on using a GTO condenser as well. However, I ended up ordering the Vintage Air surefit kit based on the price of new GTO parts. As you can see in the pictures there is a 4 inch gap between the condenser and radiator because of the setback. Based on a conversation with a salesman at Vintage Air, the gap shouldn't be a problem but I can't help but think the fans won't be very effective at pulling air through the condenser. Any thoughts?

1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

I would disagree and say it's a problem. The fans will pull the air from the gap instead of through the condenser. It will be fine at speed, but when stopped, the condenser won't have any airflow. Aside from not cooling inside when their is no airflow, this will cause a spike in high side pressure. The high pressure switch should cut off the compressor clutch, but i've seen it pop the relief of the compressor as well, which will make it lose a tiny bit of freon. This will eventually drop the charge to the point it doesn't cool well and you'll chase a leak that doesn't exist. I'd run some plastic/rubber/aluminum to bridge the gap between the two.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Vintage air told me that for the best results, it should be as close as possible but not touching with enough room for structure/viberation movement.

Quote Originally Posted by chpr1972 View Post
      Vintage air told me that for the best results, it should be as close as possible but not touching with enough room for structure/viberation movement.
      Yep, but 4" may be taking a little too much liberty with, "as close as possible"!
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

You could put an electric fan on it... maybe even a puller. Wire it with a relay that activates when the compressor is running.

Won't work well with the big gap except MAYBE on the highway. I agree with Craig, at a minimum you need to seal the condenser to the radiator. Otherwise at rest or low speeds the air being drawn through the radiator will flow around the condenser to get there because there's less resistance.

Look, just source some metal or suitably heat tolerant plastic or even carbon fiber er panels and make a "box" to fit between them and "seal" as needed. The space wont hurt if suitably closed in. Even new cars have foam or run her seals to direct air through both core vs not.
      Seal it up.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com