Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Control arm bushing size ?

OK me and my son ordered a front end poly rebuild kit for his 70 Camaro.
      the kit was from Right Stuff detailing, and we also ordered disk brake kits from them.
      the bushings for the control arms supplied are too small, my son brought the Arms into a auto parts store to see what was going on and compare them to what they said should fit, nothing ?
      on the lowers our arms measure 1-7/8" I.d. X2" deep and 1-5/8" I.d. X2" deep
      and on the uppers we have 1-5/16" and 1-3/8".
      not sure what these arms are out of but they bolt up to the stock frame mounts.
      The supplied bushings on all accounts are smaller.
      they looked up chevelle big block and other possibilities but nothing was this big.
      any input would be great , so we can order the correct bushings.
      thanks
      Robert H
      Last edited by FANTM58; 06-08-2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Do not need information any longer.

It's looking like someone down the road
      Swapped In A 73-81 frame stub.
      Larger bushings ETC
      Right Stuff is double checking the bushings for
      The dimensions is supplied them.

The 2nd gen F body sub frames changed throughout the 70-81 time period. Although I modified an 81 sub frame to work in a 70 bird I only know of one other person who used a later style sub frame in an early 2nd gen. I have a thread on TAC about the 2nd gen sub frames you may find helpful that discusses a lot of the differences throughout the 2nd gen run and provides a lot of the measurements. http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=68213.0

The early 2nd gens used a slightly different upper control arm configuration with the smaller same size bushings and the later style arms with the different bushings can be easily interchanged. To use the later style lower arms on an early frame the holes in the frame for the mounting bolts have to be opened up from 1/2" to the later style 9/16"-14mm style. It's really doubtful that someone used a sub frame made after the '75 floor pan change as that requires moving the rear body mount location on the sub frame.

Thanks for the information, it's very useful !

Ok we figured it out . Someone at sometime installed a 73-74 frame under our 70
      No thanks to Right Stuff, customer service is freaking awful !!. If you deal with them directly
      Forget it !! Better off dealing through Summit or some other secondary vendor.
      There great to deal with. But don't expect any help from Right Stuff directly.
      I had ordered a kit for a 70 before realizing what had happened, 3-4 days.
      So I contacted Right Stuff , that's who I bought the kit from.
      After about a week waiting for a RA , I get a call saying yes they'll return the kit
      ,,,,,for a 20% restocking fee... Really ? I was will I get to pay for the return shipping.
      Totally unprofessional customer service !!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com