Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

67 bird single DIN

I finally got this bezel ready for paint. Most of the single din installs I've seen stick out from the dash and I wanted more of a recessed look. I made this from 1/8" cold rolled steel. The round mounting lugs bolt to the two existing holes used to mount the stock radio and the bezel's threaded studs slide through the flat plates and tighten down. I'm going to paint the whole assembly gloss black to match the dash.

Having owned the 67 for 40 yrs, I've tried a lot of the aftermarket radios including Retrosound, the am/fm repro etc. but none have the variety of functions and options as a simple $100 DIN head unit IMO.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

By far the nicest looking mounts for a 67/68 I have seen. If I had not just bought a retrosound for our firebird I would have bought one from you. Excellent work

Very nice! I used one of the DSE heater panel plates and mounted my Din radio where the heater controls used to be. I had already installed a VA gen IV system so I just fabbed a small piece of sheet metal to mount the 3 knob controller in the old radio location.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

very nice. I would buy one

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't mean to imply they were for sale, way too much work doing it by hand.It's made out of five individual pieces welded together. It would be nice if someone could throw a block of 6061 on a mill and make them.

Awesome Job, I was looking at doing something like this just the other night. I was struggling on how to mount it, It looks like to come up with a very slick solution. Any chance you could post a few more pictures of the back of the bracket? Thanks

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  170.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  165.4 KBHere you go.

That centre was looking great in bare steel. I'm sure you have plans for it but now you have me thinking. I got custom autosound 630 and haven't heard anything good about it. I don't listen to CDs. I just wanted something to fill the hole which I fixed from previously hacking it out. Then i found a 6"x4" kenwood 400 watt bluetooth amp. I'm going to mount it behind my dash. You don't even need a head unit anymore - just your phone. However, if I could build what you just built I would have went that way.

67 bird single DIN

Wow! That looks amazing!
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

it would be nice to see if anyone has one of these nova panels. This would match well with the stock ac controls if it fits
      http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...rts/15207.html

That Nova plate looks like it would match the other controls nicely but it looks to be just a flat plate with a single din opening. That would mean the radio would be angled upward in the rear if mounted flat to the center bezel. I tried something similar and the radio actually hit the bottom of the heater control assembly. Then you still have to find a way to mount it to the car and center dash panel. These cars are a real pain to add a modern radio.

Great work and great looking piece!

I am sure that many people would like to purchase the same "kit" if it was available

I have had quite a few people ask me If Is was going to center building the center dash and console bezel/ panels that I did in my 68'

Jeff

after installing retro sound i think it sucks.

Guess its time to finish making my single din.

I know this post is a little old. Your bezel is amazing, very nice. I bought one of those nova bezels and sent it right back. What a POS. Bulky warped plastic, studs mounted crooked, held together with double sided tape. What a joke.

I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with a decent bezel for these cars. Here is a shot of the completed project. I'm really pleased with the outcome. The radio is nice and I can play music from any source but use Bluetooth/IPhone/remote all the time. For a $100 radio it serves my needs well.

not sure if you can view this or not.

https://www.facebook.com/randy.dicke...1021631783996/

Can't see it. Did you get a bezel made?

Randy did the same thing that I did. I like it a lot and didn't hack my dash area.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

That's a great solution for Vintage air users.

Yes but I used two of the dse mounts. The bottom one I widened about 1/2 and angled the bottom down so it looksnjust like the top mount. I also cut the basic cover to mount the top one as well

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com