Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Pontiac 400 build hp/tq information

Hello I'm new here and looking to get an idea on what I can expect from my Pontiac 400 combo. Is there a fresh thread any of you Pontiac guys can direct me to, or should I just describe my combo here?
      Thanks
      brody

Country Flag: United States
      Pontiacs are interesting motors. I just wrapped up a 350 which was my 1st Pontiac motor. If you are looking for info, Butler is a good source. What are your plans with it?

Pontiac 400 build hp/tq information

There are some guys and info on Pontiac Street Performance that really know their stuff. They helped me a ton. I am just completing my 71 formula. Torque is not an issue with Pontiacs they have a ton of it.

The 400 is in a 66 Lemans and is a blast to drive. kept the crank and rods but everything else has been upgraded. I was planning on having the car put on a dyno just to see what the numbers are at the wheels and wanted to know ahead of time what to expect. Also trying to decide on an exhaust system for it 2.5" or 3" depending what hp/tq I end up with. Leaning to the 2.5 exhaust because it's my understanding that anything under 500hp and your actually losing torque with too big of an exhaust. Pretty sure I'm not quite there.
      Butler quoted me for a build a while back and they were pretty good but I decided to go local, save a little money on shipping. I forgot about Pontiac Street Performance I'll have to dig through their threads to see if anyone has a simular build.

400 hp is pretty common with good heads and cam. Need to get radical or stroke it to go much beyond.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      400 hp is pretty common with good heads and cam. Need to get radical or stroke it to go much beyond.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/

Yes That is a Great Resource! Pontiacs can get Expensive Fast!!! I could have bought a crate LSA and trans combo for the money I have in my Flat Tappet 467 Pontiac build....

BUT when opening the hood at the car show its priceless to get the compliments on Pontiac powah!

400 hp seems to be the norm for a decent Pontiac 400 so I'm guessing somewhere around 450 to 485 for torque? Knowing what I know now I wish I would of went for aftermarket rods. I know the machine shop did a good job inspecting and reconditioning mine but... With my combo I'm thinking probably keep it around 5500 rpm for red line?

73' Pontiac 400 block 60 over
      stock crank
      stock rods
      Sealed Power forged pistons
      Comp Cam # 51- 423-9 hydraulic roller
      (276/282) (224/[email protected])
      Roller rockers
      9.5/1 compression
      Edlebrock performer heads
      87cc chamber 215cc intake 175cc exhaust. 211/166 intake/exhaust valve diameter.
      Edlebrock performer RPM intake
      Sean Murphy Induction stage 2 800 cfm quadrajet
      DUI HEI distributer 22 at 3000 rpm
      Art Carr 200 4r trans with 2200-2400 stall converter
      3:55 gears

I road race a 1970 Trans Am. I run a Pontiac 400 (406). At the crank it was dynoed at 480 on hp and tq. This is achieved with a great port job on eddlebrock aluminum heads. Long Chevy big block rods. All forged rotating assembly. I also have dyno sheet and detailed cam specs. Contact me with any questions. I also have a 461 stroker pushing 550 hp/tq. I know Pontiacs. Message or email me. My YouTube channel is jtwoods41978 you can see engine details and road race videos somewhere in my videos.

What year block is the 400? This can determine the limit of where you want to take the power. Many stay away from the mid 70's blocks. The only "good" late blocks known are the 78-79 W72 400 engine blocks. These are also known as the 988 blocks.

If it's a Trans Am, I think the best setup right now is getting a Torker II intake, FiTech TBI, MSD ignition and Pro-Touring F-Body drop base on there. This will surely help for power production.