Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Ryan's 67 Chevelle First Time builder

Hi all I have been on the site for a few months looking at different threads and finally have a project of my own to post. I had a 1989 Porsche 944 that was an awesome car but found out tracking a car is very expensive and I wanted to build something that was my own and have always wanted a muscle car. So with a handful of money and big dreams I started searching Craigslist. I wanted a 1970 Chevelle SS but quickly found you cant get your hands on one without lots of money and a project shell completely rusted out. So I started looking at other models and found I really liked the 67s body style and found one only 2 hours away so went down to look at it. She was rough the original owner had let some young guys who wanted to start an automotive paint shop try his car out for a cheap first paint job. They covered the outside of the car and much more, over-spraying into the interior. I looked the car over and the body was straight and i could see things here and there but I wasn't letting this car slip out of my grasp and rescued her. I payed for the car and took the title and returned the following night with my buddy who's on here and goes by Xsboost who is doing a sick 1964.5 mustang that i have helped when he needed extra hands. When we got it to his garage and started looking at the car on the lift we saw this is going to be a build that will take many forms, money, and time. But I am ready and cant wait to see what we turn this car into. Suggestions, tips, and feedback are welcome always up to hear different ideas. Thanks! Ryan http://

looks good. My middle son would love that orange. He is already asking to go in the garage and paint the chevelle orange every day...lol...Looks like we are both in this and going to be learning at the same time.

Yeah should be a good time. The car was originally gold with gold interior but don't think I'll be going back to that combo

Welcome! Looks like a good project. Interesting being a 2 door hardtop with 300 taillights, to my knowledge none of them came equipped that way, 2 door sedan only. The only other car I saw like that was from pictures of my dad's 67 2 door hardtop he had in the 80's the same way, the only one he's ever seen that way too. Must have been swapped at one point on both of those cars!
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Yeah this car has bits and pieces added to it from all over. Interior has as panels and parts. I'll slowly be changing everything back to non ss. But I did get floor pans, dash pad, carpet, 2 original bucket seats, front and rear windshield, front door panels, new door accessories and gas pedal. I am trying to get it drive able and going to cruise this summer and then tear down this winter.

Looks like a project !! Fun !!

should be a fun project. Lots of work to do. Most people we know say we are crazy for building something that needs everything. I say, challenge accepted.
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Where do you plan to attack this build first?

Excellent choice. These are great cars. Hope you have lots of fun with it. Tons of great info on here and very helpful ppl too.
      Bruce Jeppesen
      "RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
      1966 Chevelle
      1978 Ford F-150 4x4
      1930 Model
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...e-PT-Challenge

Need more time, more money and more ambition!!!

looks like we will be cutting the floor pans out and putting some new metal in there. Then fit the seats and stuff back in. He wants to drive it some this summer and save up for the rest of the metal we will need and maybe this winter the car will come off the frame.

So Plans have changed. I was looking to be driving the car at least a little in the summer, but have decided to go ahead and rip it down and start building it right. No sense in putting in a bunch of work that is going to be taken out for a month or two of driving. I picked up my lift this weekend, will post pics and then I can start to chop on the car. Cant wait!

That's how it works! That was the plan for my 71 Firebird. I was going to lower it by chopping the springs down, as it was way nose high for some reason, then cruise it as I was working on it. The LCA bushing fell out, literally. Decided this thing needed to come apart down to nothing. Ordered my full ridetech suspension the next week!

Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

yeah rather do it right and safe than going down highway and car falls apart lol.

Name:  IMG_0594.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  115.4 KB
      finally got my lift installed. Going to get some storage to organize everything (parents are in middle of moving/house hunting asked to store some things) and then I can figure out where to start!

looking good i'll have to check out the new lift

great setup. Wish i had the space you do!!! just remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel when things just dont go your way. Alot of blood sweat and tears go into these projects and i can tell you from personal experience .... its alot of blood!

Hell I would buff out the orange, put some brakes /suspension/wheels on it and drive it!

the photos make it look alot better than it is...quarters and around the windows have some holes... body is off the frame now as of yesterday. SHouldnt be a bad build though once the floors are welded up and the rust fixed.

I haven't posted in a while so thought it was time for an update. The body is now off the frame and has everything stripped off it (doors,quarter windows, wiring harness etc.) The plan now is to start cutting out these sorry excuses for replacement floor pans and start learning how to weld. But I should have some money coming in so I may just cut the floors out and have it blasted and then install the new floor. But was also talking to a few people and think the plan once its blast is fix body, run through the drive train put back together and fix/update one component at a time (disc brake upgrade,bigger motor, etc.) so I can enjoy it as I build. But as Xsboost says this car loves taking good photos. I will get some close ups just to show that paint isn't that pretty.

Ok so Its been a while since my last post, but have slowly been working on the car after work. I cut the floor pans entirely out of the car they were badly rusted. The picture was just the rough cuts but the chunks on the outside near the rockers have been trimmed nice and clean. They did fight me tooth and nail from the beginning so didn't have the energy to finish them that night lol. I also moved to the trunk where I found another horrible patch job done by the previous owner and ripped the 3 piece trunk panels out and found lots of bondo and other things in the bottom of the passenger side quarter panel. I also scrapped the inside of the roof to bare metal. Now once I remove the windows from the doors and get the body over to xsboost's garage we can setup a time with the dustless blast company (have to wait no rain and 40 degree weather) to get the car down to bare metal and see what else is hiding. Fingers crossed nothing more than I already know. But like they say hope for the best plan for the worst.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com