Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

74 4 speed Firebird to T56 6 speed question...

My car is apart in a transmission shop and I am awaiting an email/call to see what problem they are encountering and want to get my ducks in a row.

Does this sound right?

I have a 74 4 speed Firebird with a Pontiac 350 (same block as 400).
      I am converting to a T56 6 speed.
      I have an LT1 T56 that has been converted to a LS1 T56.
      I have the McLeod adapter plate to adapt the T56 to the original 4 speed BOP bellhousing.

From what I understand/have read the original mechanical linkage/throw out bearing should work.

Do I need to buy a different flywheel?

I will need to buy a 26 spline clutch plate.

Move crossmember
      Shorten driveline
      Figure out connection to my electronic speedo

What else am I missing? I literally have scoured the web and if anybody has any blanks to fill in please let me know.

Also, I have the full 90s Trans Am that the T56 came out of for parts.

I am installing an LT1 style T56 behind an 8.1L Vortec 496 which has the same bolt patern as a sbc/bbc. I am using a QuickTime bellhousing, Spec flywheel and clutch for the LT1 style clutch and hydraulics. I got the transmission crossmember, shifter, and hydraulic system from American Power train. Beings you have already converted to the ls style front it should be much easier to do the swap as many different companies offer kits for the install. From what I have read on the McLeod adapter plate you can use you stock flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch linkage. You will need a clutch plate for the 26 spline input shaft. Several companies make cross members and shifters that will use your stock opening so you do not have to modify the trans tunnel or console. You will have to have your drive shaft shortened. I have not had a chance to test fit my unit by I have heard differing opinions on if there will be required transmission tunnel modifications required to make the T56 fit. From what I can tell a lot of it depends on the cross member. I have relied on a lot of technical assistance from Spec and American Powertrain to try and get a what I hope is a functioning system lol. As I said earlier there are several companies out there that sell install kits so I would pick one and pick the tech lines brain to make sure you get what you need.

If you are using the adapter plate then nothing under the bell changes except the pilot bearing.

I think to get the right driveline angle you might end up moving the bracket on the cross member along with moving it backwards.

You need to wire the reverse lockout and back up light switch.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com