Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Full face helmet and glasses?

I have been struggling with a solution for this for a while and finally just decided to ask others how they approach wearing a full face helmet and glasses. The issue I have is putting on my glasses after the helmet is on. No matter what I try I cannot get the ear pieces behind my ears while wearing the helmet. The best I can manage is to wedge the ear pieces between the helmet padding and my ear. They seem to stay put there with my current helmet but I cannot feel them if they start to slide. Back when I was racing karts there were a couple of incidents with an earlier helmet where my glasses slipped and I was forced to drop out of a race because I could not see. This just never seemed like a safe situation to me and I was looking for other solutions. I would add that I don't have this problem when I wear my open face helmet for autocross because I can put the helmet on without removing my glasses. So I thought it might be worth starting a discussion since this is clearly a potential safety issue.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I've had the same issues, but always managed to get my glasses on finally. They are not comfortable with the helmet on, but it all works. That being said, if I'd stop spending my money on the car, I would have LASIK done and not have the problem anymore! LOL

No problem at all with this type of eye glassesName:  IMG_20160506_084508.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  249.3 KBName:  IMG_20160506_084533.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  231.0 KB
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Kenny,
      That is the same type frame I have and the temples flex too much. Maybe the issue is that the helmet fits too snug.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Steve, I have the same problem & have tried different Frames, but nothing seems to be better.

I always wear a Balaclava which makes things worse.

I always seem to be sliding my fingers up inside my helmet to get the ear pieces in place, then cinch up the chin strap!

I have tried the fingers too but this new Impact helmet that I have seems to fight me more than the others I have had in the past maybe because it is a better quality helmet with better padding. I have a nylon scraper that I have tried to use to compress the padding enough to get the glasses on but that has kinda sorta worked but I need to get better with the technique. I think this may be an idea for a new product that needs to be invented.

I'm thinking I may contact some of the helmet manufacturers like Bell, Simpson, Impact, etc. and see if they have advice.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

When I run at Open Track events I use a Sparco WideEye Balaclava with a Simpson Full Face Helmet. The glasses are a little tight sliding in under the sock and yes, I have poked myself in the eye a few times. When I autocross, I wear a Simpson Open Face Helmet and I have to put my helmet on first than slide the glasses in.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

The same thing happens with sun glasses. I wear glasses normally, but I mostly wear contact lenses when I'm doing track events so that I can wear sunglasses.

For both, I have Oakley wire frames that don't bend down behind the ear. They are never easy to get on, and the helmet padding does tend to push the sides against my head, but I can get them on. This is a Simpson full-face helmet.

Maybe consider a track-only frame that is much more flexible, one one that doesn't have the bends behind the ear?
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Some companies make helmets with wide eye ports. I wear glasses on track and got an Arai wide eye port model. I put helmet on, slide glasses in.

depends on the helmet.... some even have a little arm wedge on them for glasses

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com