Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: England

Clutchless sequential shift for T56?

I've literally just started a pro-touring project, with a '69 Mustang body and brand new Coyote/T56 drivechain. I want clutchless sequential shifting and have heard about an Australian company called PFITZNER who do a kit for Corvettes...and now Ford.

Does anyone here have any experience of PFITZNER, their product, or recommendations for other companies who do similar kits to make this possible?

Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Badhand View Post
      I've literally just started a pro-touring project, with a '69 Mustang body and brand new Coyote/T56 drivechain. I want clutchless sequential shifting and have heard about an Australian company called PFITZNER who do a kit for Corvettes...and now Ford.

Does anyone here have any experience of PFITZNER, their product, or recommendations for other companies who do similar kits to make this possible?

Thanks
      We built a T56 for a customer last fall using their gear kit. It was going behind a Ford 429 in a 69 Mustang. It is VERY nice stuff, and they price it accordingly. It does require extra machining to the transmission case so there's some extra work in setting it all up. Some of the guys who race in the n.a.s.a. series run these types of set up. I don't know of any other company that does a complete internal set up similar to the Pfitzner kit. There's a shifter only kit from S1 sequential to convert from your "H" pattern, but it is only a shifter that works with the existing T56 set up and is not clutchless, I'm not familiar with their kit but may be worth looking into if you aren't in need of a full out race prep gearbox.
      Last edited by Craig@Bowler; 05-02-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add more info
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

What you want isn't a simply having the right transmission. You need an engine management system and a shifter with a load cell. The load cell tells the ECU if there is an upshift or downshift that is about to occur. For upshifts the ECU will interrupt the ignition for a few milliseconds in order to take the load off the input shaft and thus facilitate the shift. For downshifts more advanced ECUs will also do RPM matching using a DBW throttle body.

I have a dog-ring T56 in my Cougar. It is built using the G-Force gear set. I don't have a sequential shifter, load cell, or ECU integration, but here is a video that will give you some idea of what you're in for...

MTI was working with PPG (same Australian company) on a complete setup, but I am not sure what happened to all that...

No matter how you slice it, you're looking at about $20-$25K to do what you want to do...

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 05-02-2016 at 09:51 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks guys. Great to hear that the Pfitzner kit is quality. Still not 100% its what I'm after tbh. And thanks Andrewb70, but I'm after clutchless shifting as I've lost the use of my clutch foot in a motorcycle accident. Price is scary, but I'm building my dream car here. I don't want to cut corners or make compromises. However, the words 'load shifter' and ECU start to give me the jitters... as does $25K !

Quote Originally Posted by Badhand View Post
      Thanks guys. Great to hear that the Pfitzner kit is quality. Still not 100% its what I'm after tbh. And thanks Andrewb70, but I'm after clutchless shifting as I've lost the use of my clutch foot in a motorcycle accident. Price is scary, but I'm building my dream car here. I don't want to cut corners or make compromises. However, the words 'load shifter' and ECU start to give me the jitters... as does $25K !
      Sorry to hear about your accident. As I said, clutchless shifting is complicated and the clutch still needs to be used for starts and stops. Might I suggest an automatic?

Modern automatics can shift very fast.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      the clutch still needs to be used for starts and stops. Might I suggest an automatic?
      I can probably get away with the start stop, but not constant on track lifting etc. I still have the foot, but it and my knee have very limited movement.

Re auto, I drive an M235i Beemer 8 speed auto at moment and you're right, it shifts quick. Foot down and smash it through the gears. I guess, as I have the manual T56, I Just wanted something a bit more engaging and dare I say it, cool, than swapping it for an auto. Stick mounted, hand operated clutch, is another option, but the sequential quickness wins hands down.

You never stated if this car will be for street or track use.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Country Flag: Canada
      Price range ? .....strictly track use or could it work on the street too.... Or (in my Very limited knowledge) could you have the option of switching between the two
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

s1's website says $2650 aussi

Country Flag: Canada
      am i missing it somewhere ....i dont see it when i click on t56 seq.

Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com