Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Racepak IQ3s Digital Dash / Data Promotion

RacePak Digital Dashes & Data Acquisition Systems

Coming out of the Race World … into the Pro-Touring World … I was surprised by a few things. Some were …
      1. How most of the cars still ran the old style needle gauges & tachs
      2. Only the top runners in optima were running Data Acquisition systems

In racing, we had quit running the needle gauges a long time ago. If we needed 5 readouts …
      • Tach/RPM
      • Engine Temp
      • Oil Temp
      • Oil Pressure
      • Fuel Pressure
      … quality needle type gauges were going to cost $1200+. Plus, we found needle gauges to have high failure rates, cost a ton, be slow to respond & be less than accurate … even with the high dollar stuff. So we switched to solid-state, digital gauges years ago … and never looked back. Our only question was why we didn’t do it sooner.

So I found it odd that in Pro-Touring, guys & gals were building cool, bad-ass cars with modern technology, yet still utilizing needle gauges.
      For street, we more info than race cars. We also need …
      • Speedometer
      battery Volts
      • Fuel level
      • Turn signal indicator
      • High beam indicator

And if we really want to go all out, we may add …
      • Gear indicator
      • Clock
      • Parking Brake Indicator
      • Shift Light
      • Engine Temp Warning Lights
      • Oil Temp Warning Lights
      • Oil Pressure Warning Lights

We can do all that with needle type gauges … for $2000+++. But why?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve worked with RacePak Data Acquisition since 1985.
      Good stuff. Good guys. Constantly innovating to make stuff better & easier. When I saw their new IQ3S Digital Dash … that does everything I listed above … and ties into most EFI controllers … I knew that would be the ticket.

Key Benefits:
      • Complete Replacement for Your Dash Cluster, 20+ Gauges & Indicators
      • Connects to Over 20 Aftermarket Stand-Alone EFI Products

Features:
      • Display standard road functions
      • Display up to 28 inputs via 4 pages
      • Blue backlight
      • Gear Indicator
      • Eight user defined alarms
      • User defined 5 character sensor input names
      • User defined shift light output
      • Shielded, low luster display for sunlight viewing
      • Metric and English capable
      • CAN-based and OBD2 compatible
      • Connect to any Racepak's V-Net data loggers
      • Optional GPS module for speed

Dimensions:
      7.25” (L) x 4.000” (W) x 1.125” (deep)
      Weight: 1 pound

The IQ3S … S is for Street … comes with a USB2.0 cable to plug in into any Windows based PC and comes with DataLink software … to both set up and configure the IQ3 Street Dash. It is used to modify any settings, dash layout, warning light settings, etc.

Information can be displayed on four user-programmable dash pages, and the IQ3s also features four internal warning lights, internal progressive shift light, along with external warning light and fan outputs. The IQ3s can easily connect to CAN-based 2008 and newer OBD2 functions, and can be utilized with any of Racepak's V-Net data loggers.

The IQ3 Street Dash accepts either of two types of electrical speedometer output signal from the transmission: Variable Reluctance (Zero Crossing Sine Wave) or Hall Effect. If your transmission doesn’t utilize these type of output sensors, you want to get the optional GPS module to provide speed input to your digital dash speedometer.

*There are 8 different EFI adapters to interface with any of these EFI controllers:
      280-CA-EFICAN - Two bare wires for direct CAN interface
      280-CA-EFIHOL - Holley Adaptor - includes Holley mating connector
      280-CA-EFIFUEL- Fuel Tech Adaptor - includes Fuel Tech mating connector
      280-CA-EFILINK- Link Adaptor - includes Link mating connector
      280-CA-EFIATBI - Atomic TBI Adaptor - includes Atomic TBI mating connector
      280-CA-EFIBS3 - Big Stuff 3 Adaptor - includes Big Stuff 3 mating connector
      280-CA-EFIMEFI -MEFI 4B Adaptor - includes MEFI 4B mating connector
      280-CA-EFIOBDII - OBDII Adaptor - includes OBDII mating connector
      Price is $75 for any version

I find dashes … the info they provide the driver … and how … to be very personal to each driver. A good way to see what all the RacePak IQ3S Digital Dash does … and how it works … is to skim & read the PDF Manual HERE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing that surprised me was the low price.

Here’s the package:
      IQ3S Digital Dash #250-DS-IQ3S - $975
      Temperature & Pressure Sensors - Included
      EFI Interface Adapter #280-CA-EFI_____* - $75
      Optional GPS V-Net Module #220-VM-GPS - $299

So … for $1349 you have a complete Digital Dash with all sensors, adapters & GPS Antenna for Speedometer.

* If your transmission utilizes Variable Reluctance (Zero Crossing Sine Wave) or Hall Effect speed outputs … and you don’t need the GPS kit … the total coast is only $1050.

BONUS !!!
      2016 RacePak Promotion

Buy a RacePak IQ3S Digital Dash &
      RacePak Will Buy You a Ticket to the 2016
      Ron Sutton Suspension Workshop of Your Choice

RacePak is a proud partner for 2016 Ron Sutton Workshop & Book Tour. They are one of eighteen sponsors of the Ron Sutton 7 Secrets of Suspension Mapping, Set-Ups & Track Tuning Workshop series that helped to bring the ticket price down from $1500 to only $329. If you’re in the market for Digital Dash or Data Acquisition System for Autocross, Track & Street … and act now … the ticket won’t cost you a dime.

Ron Sutton Race Technology is a RacePak dealer and can help you get the correct parts for your needs. Don’t worry about figuring out what you need on your own. Contact Ron Sutton & work out the correct package for your needs.

Notes:
      • Tickets available only with purchase of RacePak IQ3S and/or Data Logger
      • Tickets Available for 2016 Workshops: Indy - May 7th, Ohio - July 7th, Charlotte - July 29th, Texas - Sept 29th & Las Vegas - Nov 2nd
      • Workshop Ticket is NOT-Transferable to another Person

For more information on RacePak Digital Dashes or Data Acquisition Systems – Contact Ron Sutton Race Technology:
      Phone: (916) 834-8051
      Address: 11374 Amalgam Way, Suite K, Gold River, CA 95670

Not buying a Digital Dash or Data Logger but want info on the Workshops? Go HERE.

Country Flag: United States
      How Does Lance Hamilton’s Story & a Workshop Help You Get Faster?

Back in April 2013, Lance Hamilton posted online asking for a little help dialing in his ’85 Monte Carlo for his SCCA autocross efforts. I contacted Lance offline … told him a little about my racing background … and asked him if he is “involved or committed” to improving his car’s handling? He asked me what the difference was, which allowed me to share one of my hundreds of funny sayings.

I said Lance, “have you ever had ham & eggs for breakfast?” He said, “of course.” With a straight face I replied, “well Lance … the chicken was involved in your breakfast … but the pig was committed. Are you involved or committed to improving your car’s handling performance?” Lance said, “I’m committed!”

A short but greasy journey was started that moved his performance levels from finishing in the 80’s of the average 100+ competitors at his Kansas City SCCA autocross events to finishing in the top 20 each & every week. A journey that saw Lance win events and a regional championship. A journey that saw his average, cup holder equipped, air conditioned, small tired, mostly stock Monte Carlo SS become a pretty good competitor at Cam & SCCA events. Along the way we became good friends too.

A few things I shared with Lance from the get go was …
      • The tolerances on these 60’s to 80’s muscle cars was horrible.
      • The geometry from the factory was horrible.
      • And that bolting on aftermarket parts alone was not going to make his car handle at the higher levels.
      • If he wanted to make his Monte go, stop & turn like a race car, he needed to do work.
      • He needed to do his homework … by measuring his car’s suspension & steering.
      • Then he’d need to do the work to modify them.

One of things Lance enjoyed after reworking his Monte was finishing higher in the SCCA Autocross results than lots of Corvettes, Porsches, Miatas, etc. You don’t do that easily. But it doesn’t take as much money as some people think. This was good, because Lance said he had a very small budget to work with. It does take work & getting your suspension geometry “right” and coming up with a balanced suspension package.

So what did Lance & I do?

• First, know that Lance did all the work on his car himself.
      • I just provided the knowledge … game plan … and worked out the calculations for his geometry & suspension set-up.
      • In fact, I never saw the car in person. Still haven’t to this day.
      • Lance & I finally got to meet face to face for lunch at the PRI trade show a year later.

Here is the 7-Step Plan Lance & I did:
      1. I posted instructions online how to measure his suspension and sent Lance an Excel form with all the measurements I needed to input into the Performance Trends Suspension Analyzer software I utilize.

2. He measured his car … which takes a couple guys a weekend … and got me the numbers, which I entered & evaluated.

3. I shared with Lance what was wrong with his car, exactly what it was doing on track and what our geometry targets should be.

4. I outlined what to change in his suspension geometry … why … and how to change it. Lance did all the work. You can see the process we went through in an online thread Lance created at this sticky thread HERE.

5. Once done … I could & did create a suspension package of spring rates & sway bar rates front & rear I was confident would produce a balanced, neutral handling car, right out of the garage. Lance installed it.

6. We added some ridetech shocks with my secret sauce valving that creates higher grip levels front & rear & I provided Lance with my tuning guide & cell number, as I do all my clients

7. When Lance went to next SCCA autocross event he texted me for shock tuning & tire pressure tuning advice … and by the end of that first event on the new setup jumped from running his usual 80th to running 18th overall … and was 2nd in his class.

Wins came soon, but later.

Lance’s ’85 Monte Carlo is not a tube chassis race car. It is very “production.” I kid him about running with a slushee in the cup holder & the A/C blowing on track. It's not a high dollar build, but it out performas a lot of them. Because the car is RIGHT. The suspension geometry is right. The suspension set up (sway bar rates, spring rates) is right. It does have ridetech Control arms, sway bars & shocks. But bolt on parts alone will never make the performance increase Lance has achieved here. We still need good parts, but getting the car right is key.

So … How Does Lance Hamilton’s Story & a Workshop Help You Get Faster?
      • Last year, my workshop tour sold out+++ at every venue.
      • Every year of my five year plan has a DIFFERENT Workshop topic.
      • Last year, I covered the fundamentals of suspension set-ups & tuning.

This year’s topic for 2016 is DIFFERENT than 2015.
      • The title is: The 7 Secrets of of Suspension Mapping, Set-ups & Track Tuning
      • In this year’s workshop I teach everything you need to know to do the 7-Step Plan outlined above … on YOUR car. Any car. All cars.
      • From ’60’s-‘70’s Camaros, GTO’s, Mustangs & other muscle cars to modern day Corvettes, Camaros & Mustangs.
      • Using a lot of visual aids, I make it simple, clear & easy to understand. Just ask any of my past workshop attendees.

In this workshop, you’ll learn the 7-Step Plan:
      1. Simple, basic ways to accurately measure your car’s suspension & steering.
      2. How to use inexpensive Software to see where your geometry is … and clearly understand what it means.
      3. Master what really matters in your geometry … and why it matters!
      4. What the optimum targets for your suspension geometry are. Plus, how to correct or improve your suspension geometry in the real world … in your garage!
      5. My proven methods to create bad fast set-ups on your own! Including how to work out sway bar rates, spring rates & roll centers for a balanced, neutral handling car, right out of the garage.
      6. My secrets & tips to increase grip. No secrets held back. I even explain how my secret sauce valved shocks work. No bull.
      7. Lastly … simple, key Track Day Tuning to dial your car into any track & any track conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, attend this workshop:
      * You’ll learn everything Lance did to make his Monte SS a great handling car … in one day.
      * No BS. Guaranteed or your money back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Workshops Near 5 Big Events:
      1. May 7th, Saturday, at Ridetech HQ in Jasper, IN / After Cars & Cones Autocross Tour – SOLD OUT !
      2. July 7th, Thursday, in Columbus, OH / Before the Good Guys Event – Almost Sold Out !
      3. July 29th, Friday, in Charlotte, NC / Before the USCA/optima Event – Coming Soon !
      4. Sept 29th, Thursday, in Ft Worth, TX / Before the Good Guys Event
      5. Nov 2nd, Wednesday, in Las Vegas / During SEMA & Before the optima Invitational

Questions:
      Email me at [email protected]

Tickets Only $329: Go HERE.

OR: Buy a Racepak IQ3s Digital Dash ... or any RacePak Data Logger ... and RacePak will BUY YOU a ticket to the 2016 workshop of your choice!

For more information on Racepak Digital Dashes & Data Loggers – Contact Ron Sutton Race Technology:
      Phone: (916) 834-8051
      Email: [email protected]

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com