Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: UK

LS or Coyote in a '67 mustang Restomod - which is best ?

For those interested, I'm doing a '67 Restomod, thread link as below;

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ect-in-England

I'm not after an out and out track car, more like a very fast street racer that handles as well as it looks.

I want to put in modular motor and from looking at others folks posts on here I'm after more info on possible modular motor options. I originally was looking at a Coyote, but the more I read on here, the more I see there are other options e.g. LS which could work out as well, if not better !

I'm in England, so info on modular motors is not easy to come by and I only know of a handful full of cars that have modular motors in them....

So my questions are:

1-Price premium for coyote ? what is approximately and is it worth it?
      2-What suspension options do I have and limits of each option e.g. I know a a coyote is wide compared to LS and my shock towers will have to go, true or a LS ?
      3-What is the price/BHP for each motor
      4-Any good info sources on what is the best value options on the various LS derivatives (I know nothing about the LS range)
      5-Best to buy a crate or used motor from a crashed motor?
      6-Which motor is best served by the aftermarket ?
      7-Gearbox options on either ? (I'd prefer a stick shift)

I apologise for asking so many questions, I'm thirsty for knowledge on the other side of the pond
      Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
      Chris

Country Flag: United States
      Do what's right, not what's easy....Coyote.

I have a coyote in my 69 f-100 one of the first its much easier now Ford Racing is even selling a complete package with choice of auto or manual tranny. If you can fimd a 2014 crate I hear the price on them is very good now that the 15s are out. Have no clue about how easy it is to get these in England. I'm more ford loyal but a ls with a turbo is hard to beat price wise.

Not sure if Jegs is an option for you, but they are having a sale on the coyote engine package kit. ~$7k USD.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...m=m-6007-m50ak

My preference is keep ford with ford and chevy with chevy. But that's me. There is a way to keep the shock tower's with the coyote a la boss 429 shock towers.

If budget is a real concern, then go low mileage used either route. I prefer warranty so I went new. Going new, from the prices I see is about the same, just depends how much and what kind of modifications you are looking/wanting to do.

I've done an LS swap into my brother's 66 C10 truck. I am currently doing a coyote swap into my 67 cougar (same front suspension as mustang with many interchangeable parts). Andrew did a LS swap into his 67 cougar. Below is a link to his and my builds. I did put my link first (First on Race Day).

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...7-Cougar-Build
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...es-and-videos)

I'm throwing down the vote for LS in anything. My 1963 Falcon has one now. It was just time to try the Kool-Aid . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad68cat View Post
      Not sure if Jegs is an option for you, but they are having a sale on the coyote engine package kit. ~$7k USD.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...m=m-6007-m50ak

My preference is keep ford with ford and chevy with chevy. But that's me. There is a way to keep the shock tower's with the coyote a la boss 429 shock towers.

If budget is a real concern, then go low mileage used either route. I prefer warranty so I went new. Going new, from the prices I see is about the same, just depends how much and what kind of modifications you are looking/wanting to do.

I've done an LS swap into my brother's 66 C10 truck. I am currently doing a coyote swap into my 67 cougar (same front suspension as mustang with many interchangeable parts). Andrew did a LS swap into his 67 cougar. Below is a link to his and my builds. I did put my link first (First on Race Day).

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...7-Cougar-Build
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...es-and-videos)
      Thanks,

yes JEGS is an option as I can get it shipped to my buddy in FL who has containers that get shipped Englad, just have to pay 30% duty ��

New or used in not an issue as shipping it over 2500 miles kinds means warranty is pretry meaningless anyway. So I guess buying new is a better bet then used.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      I'm throwing down the vote for LS in anything. My 1963 Falcon has one now. It was just time to try the Kool-Aid . . .
      Please tell me more...��
      Reason I ask is that I'm just In the process of importing an ext west coast CA plate '63 Falcon

I got it as part of a deal and was thinking of selling it quickly, but got me thinking about keeping it.

Falcons often beat mustangs in racing over here as I guess they suit our small but twisty circuits and they had a power weight advantage over mustangs ?

Do you have a build thread and I'd love to know more about what you are fine about strengthening the shell/chassis ?

Chris

Chris
      Last edited by staffy; 04-06-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Typo

I'm with rustomatic...I opted for an ls2 in my 69 mustang. For the price it just made the most sense.
      Name:  IMG_0403.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  86.3 KB

The LS is going to be cheaper to start, cheaper to make power and cheaper to fit (I've heard the coyote needs some tower and possibly hood clearance, saw chip foose hit a fuel rail with a hammer so it would clear the hood lol!) also word on the street is the coyote beauty covers will bolt on to the LS (Maybe just a rumor but would be an awesome disguise)

if you want to stay pure, in my opinion ditch the coyote and get you a raptor engine, those things can be made MEAN!!! Only difference really is cost, so it's more about what you want to spend and how much power you want for the money.

JORDAN

Check out my Cougar build thread as to what I did...

Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hood Rich 313 View Post
      I'm with rustomatic...I opted for an ls2 in my 69 mustang. For the price it just made the most sense.
      Name:  IMG_0403.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  86.3 KB
      Do you have more pictures? I like how you are using the Corvette pedestals bolted to the engine...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I would defiantly go with a coyote or an ecoboost. They are making crazy power with some of those and less weight is always good.

That's a cool Falcon! I was into Mustangs years ago, then stopped with old cars for a while, and found myself focused on Falcons when senses were regained. On the topic of my Falcon, it became a Corvette last summer (started build thread on Lat-G)--this made bolting in the LS much easier. There's no Ford left anywhere but in the basic body. In this way, mine is a bad example of what can be done when trying to work with original sheetmetal.

Usually, people will do a Mustang II front crossmember for the easiest transplant route (C4 Corvette can work too), but guys have put the LS into the (mostly) stock bay without too much damage, in both Falcons and early Mustangs. Shock towers, so long as you're not that concerned with fore & aft positioning (stock is terrible), just require a bit of wedge-cutting and re-welding.

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
      Please tell me more...��
      Reason I ask is that I'm just In the process of importing an ext west coast CA plate '63 Falcon

I got it as part of a deal and was thinking of selling it quickly, but got me thinking about keeping it.

Falcons often beat mustangs in racing over here as I guess they suit our small but twisty circuits and they had a power weight advantage over mustangs ?

Do you have a build thread and I'd love to know more about what you are fine about strengthening the shell/chassis ?

Chris

Chris

Guys, thanks for the replies, very insightful.

The Falcon arrived today, as good as the photos that were sent to me, just need to work out which project to get on with first, 70 Mach 1, 67 GT or the Falcon, decisions, decisions ��
      Chris

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Check out my Cougar build thread as to what I did...

Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have more pictures? I like how you are using the Corvette pedestals bolted to the engine...

Andrew
      Andrew, thanks, use got to page 5 of your thread, awesome ��
      Chris
      Last edited by staffy; 04-15-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
      Andrew, thanks, use got to page 5 of your thread, awesome ��
      Chris
      Thanks Chris! You obviously know my thoughts on this, but frankly I have nothing against the Coyote engine...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com