Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Efi fuel tank venting

Hey everyone.. I recently picked up a fitech go efi kit and a fuel command center from fitech.

I was reading the instructions and states that I need to run a vented port of the fuel command center to the tank.

Here's the issue with that. I removed the charcoal canister and line a long time ago and plugged the tank where it ran at the same time.

Anyone do the same and run into a similar issue?

What are my options? Do I get plastic tubing and run a line back again?

Thanks

John
      LS3 1967 Camaro RS

If you run a vent line to the rear of the vehicle it will not be a vent for very long. Any fuel or condensation that accumulates in the lowest part of the line will effectively create a pee-trap much like that in your home plumbing and you will no longer have a working vent. This is a glaring flaw with that FCC.

Dealing with the whole pee trap effect, instead of running a vent line all the way back to the tank on a car, what if something like this was used in the engine bay next to the fuel command center?http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85406 minimize the amount of line that you need

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatgabski View Post
      Dealing with the whole pee trap effect, instead of running a vent line all the way back to the tank on a car, what if something like this was used in the engine bay next to the fuel command center?http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85406 minimize the amount of line that you need
      As much fuel that I have seen the FCC spit out of the vent I would'nt want it in or anywhere near the engine compartment.

Maybe on the other side of the fender apron? I got the command center for free so I'd like to try and use it. Its also the updated version of the vent. So this one may be better

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatgabski View Post
      Maybe on the other side of the fender apron? I got the command center for free so I'd like to try and use it. Its also the updated version of the vent. So this one may be better
      Be safe and good luck with it.

I'm running a Ricks efi tank with a vent off the fuel tank. I have added a ridetech fuel filler. Can I run both the tank vent and the ridetech vent?
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

I'd recommend putting the charcoal cannister back in. I've found that an improper venting mechanism can cause driveability problems with EFI.

On my setup (using a Tanks EFI tank), I drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT hole very near the top of the filler neck. Then put in a 90° 5/16" hose barb and ran the factory charcoal cannister vent line to it. It's thin sheet metal to be sure, but with a little thread sealer on the hose barb, there's enough to get a good seal.

For the air inlinet, I use a third gen Camaro "mushroom" fresh air valve that hooks up to the vent port on the fuel tank sending unit.

Granted the charcoal cannister is a solenoid controlled unit which the ECM regulates (using my 1990 TPI electronics), but you can probably get vacuum actuated valves to run a non-electric cannister (if your ECM doesn't have provisions to control it).

Any rate, I get no overpressure or underpressure, no gas smell in the garage, no liquid fuel into the vent line...
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      I'd recommend putting the charcoal cannister back in. I've found that an improper venting mechanism can cause driveability problems with EFI.

On my setup (using a Tanks EFI tank), I drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT hole very near the top of the filler neck. Then put in a 90° 5/16" hose barb and ran the factory charcoal cannister vent line to it. It's thin sheet metal to be sure, but with a little thread sealer on the hose barb, there's enough to get a good seal.

For the air inlinet, I use a third gen Camaro "mushroom" fresh air valve that hooks up to the vent port on the fuel tank sending unit.

Granted the charcoal cannister is a solenoid controlled unit which the ECM regulates (using my 1990 TPI electronics), but you can probably get vacuum actuated valves to run a non-electric cannister (if your ECM doesn't have provisions to control it).

Any rate, I get no overpressure or underpressure, no gas smell in the garage, no liquid fuel into the vent line...
      Mind posting some pictures and part numbers? I run a Tanks, Inc tank as well and would love to minimize the fuel smell...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I don't have a lot of pictures, but here's the gist of it....(see pictures below)

On the NPT fitting, I installed it so it facing down into the filler neck (not necessarily at 12 o'clock position) since it would interfere with the body. Probably around the 10 o'clock position. That way if fuel sloshes up the filler neck on acceleration it won't get sucked into the line (unless it completely fills the filler neck up to the filler cap (which doesn't appear to have happened as near as I can tell).

The vent valve I believe is discontinued, but the thirdgen.org guys may know where to get one or maybe someone has one they can sell. Or can always check ebay. I simply created a L-bracket and mounted it to the chassis above the fuel tank, then routed the hose to it.

I had initially used the steel ball check valve that Tanks supplied with the fuel tank and it vented the tank just fine during operation, but the problem was when the car was off and parked in the garage, it bled fuel vapors. So I decided to integrate the factory third gen Camaro CCP system into it.

Name:  fuel tank venting1.jpg
Views: 5600
Size:  45.8 KB
      Name:  fuel tank venting2.jpg
Views: 5652
Size:  38.8 KB
      Name:  fuel tank venting3.jpg
Views: 5162
Size:  41.9 KB
      1971 Camaro

That vent is no longer available through GM. Where did you find it?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I bought it when it was still available. Check the thirdgen.org site... they may know where to get one or an equivalent.
      1971 Camaro

I talked to the FiTech tech people about this because some of my customers have had issues.
      The command center has a needle and seat check valve inside of it that may send liquid fuel out the "VENT". Its essential that you run this line back to the tank. Don't think of it as a "VENT" but as a return line.
      As far as your tank venting goes, thats a separate issue.

Running a FAST setup on my 440 with a Rick's Tank and return line. My setup is like the one above except I have it going through the trunk floor and that's it. Excess fuel just drips on the street. I'm still learning about EFI and was wondering if this would be ok? Thanks.
      1968 Charger R/T, EFI,SC,6-speed

I am adding an "expansion tank" in the trunk to help with this. Right now my Rick's tank is vented up through the trunk, through a rollover valve, and into a very small catch can. Then vented outside at the rear of the car.

On hot days when I fill up I lose a good amount of fuel due to expansion, enough to overflow the 2oz catch can. Really annoying and kinda dangerous. I'm replacing the 2oz catch can with an aluminum Canton 24oz unit. Hope that will be enough. Piped to drain back to the tank when it cools down.

Quote Originally Posted by J-440 View Post
      Running a FAST setup on my 440 with a Rick's Tank and return line. My setup is like the one above except I have it going through the trunk floor and that's it. Excess fuel just drips on the street. I'm still learning about EFI and was wondering if this would be ok? Thanks.
      J-440, I'm running a factory tank with an Aeromotive Phantom fuel system and I had the same issue with fuel running on the ground with the stock tank vent setup. I connected both stock vent lines and the vent from the Phantom fuel pump module and merged them into one -6 line and feed it thru a bulkhead in the trunk to a II Much fuel vent canister. The vent canister is mounted as high as I can get it behind the rear seat and the vent for it passes back thru another bulkhead in the trunk floor and is connected to a sintered bronze filter, also from II Much. No more puking gas out or gas smell in the garage.

Name:  20170926_160520.jpg
Views: 6217
Size:  100.7 KB
      Steve - 1970 Roadrunner

Awesome install Steve. Super clean and II Much items work perfect.
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

Is there any where other than the trunk to put the vent? It seems like it would be better to vent the tank somewhere outside the car.

EDIT: I see now that the II Much canister puts the carbon filter in the trunk and then vents outside the trunk.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com