Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Turbo BBC Driveability

Have an aluminum headed, 9.1:1 CR 454 going into a C10 project. Am thinking about adding a single turbo and intercooler before the build progresses further.

I have read that with the newer EFI systems and boost controllers, it is now possible to make a turbo BBC very streetable.

My question is whether a set up like this, with a modestly sized turbo can be made truly streetable versus pretty driveable...for a turbo BBC?

My goal for the C10 is to end up with an easy to live with truck that has enough power to be exciting, from time to time. I am not planning on racing the truck, and want very good manners around town.

I have owned supercharged and turbocharged cars before, but they have never been big blocks. My experience with turbos on gas motors has been with smaller (sub 3 liter) 4's and 6's, which had very little power before boost. I currently drive a 6.7 Cummins diesel with a slightly larger than stock turbo, and it is NOT easy to drive. I live with it, but driving it requires all kinds of anticipatory throttle inputs. I do not want to turn the 454 into something that requires a ton of thought to drive smoothly.

Cam it and tune it correctly and there wont be any issues. My 6.0 turbo drives very smooth and is very predictable. My wife can drive it no problem, I just tell her not to attempt passing anyone because she will end up in a ditch once the boost hits.

Diesels act way different than the gas engines even with turbo. You should be fine if it's tuned well and geared properly. Best of luck and hope to the thread progress someday.

FiTech or go ask about "crutch" carb mods over on therturboforums.com.
      Properly tuned it should be easy. The biggest issue is if you have forged or hyperutectic pistons. Forged, your good to go, not and you will be on borrowed time.
      Tuning and water/meth injection are critical.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com