Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Manual trans pilot bushing

With my 425 Olds engine the crank isn't drilled for a manual transmission. There seems to be a couple of options here and was curious what route I should take.

1) Have the crank drilled for a standard Olds manual pilot bushing

2) Have it drilled for a BBC pilot bushing giving more options for bushings

3) Use a self centering tap in pilot bushing that installs in the torque converter step of the crankshaft and then you either shorten the input shaft of the trans some or drill a hole in the crankshaft for clearance.

Also, if I do the 2nd option, which is better to use. A standard bronze bushing or a roller bearing type?

The trans I am using is a T56 out of a '96 LT1 Camaro SS.

Thanks for the help,
      Andrew
      1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme FE3X Clone
      EFI455/T56/9" w/ 4.30 gears
      __________________________________________________ __

Country Flag: United States

Pilot Bushing

This might be a little late to help. but my friend and I ran into a similar problem. Being a machinist I made a bushing to fit his crankshaft and the input shaft of his tranny. I used a special bearing bronze to accomplish it. The engine builder failed to mention to us that he changed the crankshaft when he rebuilt his motor. It still is working fine to this day. Hope this helps.

If you are rebuilding the 425, or using the crank in a 455, have it machined to fit the 454 bushing. The one that fits in the auto spot is nice, if you don't want to pull the crank, but if you are already having the crank machined, you might as well do it right. Good choice on the 425 crank, it should be steel, not cast.

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      '72 442 "Inamorata"
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

I know this is the wrong thread, but I remember that you were building a FE3X clone... I was doing a little surfing and found this:

Looking for FE3X ground effect parts?? Call Valenti/OSV Concepts for availability and prices at 847-791-6537

Just thought you might find it interesting, if you haven't already found this information. Cool project!

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      '72 442 "Inamorata"

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Yep, I believe I bought the 4th set Angelo made. Two were for him and one was for another guy. I've met Angelo many times and he's a really great guy. I was also lucky enough to buy his W-25 hood off of him when he was switching to the FE3X style cowl hood.

As for the pilot bushing, that's what I've pretty much figured I would do. Just have the crank machined for a proper bearing instead of using the retrofit part.

I have changed plans some on the 425 build. I've been worried about the strength of the stock 425 rods which I've been told by numerous people that they are only good to around 500HP after you polish the beams, etc. Which brings me to buying aftermarket custom rods $$$ along with the custom pistons. I'd hate to spend all that money on aftermarket rods and still have the large rod journal of the Olds so the plan is now to offset grind the 425 crank taking the journals down to a BBC 2.2" and the stroke back to the 455's 4.25". Then running a set of 7" BBC rods with custom piston should give me a pretty good combo....Hopefully.

Thanks,
      Andrew
      1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme FE3X Clone
      EFI455/T56/9" w/ 4.30 gears
      __________________________________________________ __

Sounds like a great plan! You have now discovered why I run a BBC, that Olds motor is nice, but pricey! Still, it looks to be a killer set up you have brewing there! How about some more build pics!

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      '72 442 "Inamorata"

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com